View Poll Results: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 45.30%
  • No

    99 54.70%
Page 1 of 126 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1260

Thread: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

  1. #1
    User NotEliTanenbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    08-26-12 @ 02:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    132

    Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    What do you think?
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/So_72qE1VvI/AAAAAAAALDY/N2821iRurlg/s400/mfg.jpg

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Yes.But seeing how we have a 'progressive' tax system that says the more you make the higher the percentage you pay more they do pay more than than their share. Yeah a lot of rich people use the tax system to pay a lower percentage.Big ****en deal half the American households use that same tax system to not pay any federal income tax at all and many others also use that to pay less in taxes.So its not like the rich are doing anything different than what millions of other Americans are doing.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    No I do not. I think if you got rid of loopholes and wound it back to Clinton era they would pay about what they should be paying. As for the rest of us, I think all of us making over $20,000 should be paying more federal taxes than we do right now. I don't want to, but even if we were to bring down war and welfare spending to pre-9/11 levels it would take awhile to balance everything back out and quit borrowing from other countries.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  4. #4
    User NotEliTanenbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    08-26-12 @ 02:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    132

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    No I do not. I think if you got rid of loopholes and wound it back to Clinton era they would pay about what they should be paying. As for the rest of us, I think all of us making over $20,000 should be paying more federal taxes than we do right now. I don't want to, but even if we were to bring down war and welfare spending to pre-9/11 levels it would take awhile to balance everything back out and quit borrowing from other countries.
    I think in general the rich pay their fair share. There are obviously many rich people who do not, by using unproductive loopholes, storing their income in tax shelters etc. But overall, the US tax system is one of the most progressive in the OECD, and reduces inequality. However, the US welfare system doesn't do as good a job of reducing inequality as the other ones in the OECD, so as a result we're much more unequal.

    I think for revenue we ought to give more funding to the IRS, because with their current amount of resources, and increasing burden, it's difficult for them to collect all the taxes. If we did that, we could raise a great deal of revenue.
    Last edited by NotEliTanenbaum; 06-03-12 at 02:11 AM.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/So_72qE1VvI/AAAAAAAALDY/N2821iRurlg/s400/mfg.jpg

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    First you must define "fair share". Many, it appears that includes YOU, will not define that as either a percentage of gross or net income. What is the fair share of corporate income? What is the fair share of a worker making $30,000 per year? Is it fair to tax two ctitzens, making the same gross income, different amounts, based on number of dependents, paying rent vs. paying mortagage, paying cash vs. using credit or whether they live in different zip codes? You do not even define what is rich; a single worker in NYC making $100K/year may not be considered rich (there) yet in rural MS that worker would indeed be considered to be rich.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-03-12 at 02:15 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    User NotEliTanenbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    08-26-12 @ 02:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    132

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    First you must define "fair share". Many, it appears that includes YOU, will not define that as either a percentage of gross or net income. What is the fair share of corporate income? What is the fair share of a worker making $30,000 per year? Is it fair to tax two ctitzens, making the same gross income different amounts, based on number of dependents, paying rent vs. paying mortagage, paying cash vs. using credit or whether they live in different zip codes? You do not even define what is rich; a single worker in NYC making $100K/year is not considered rich yet in rural MS that worker would indeed be considered to be rich.
    I intentionally left "fair share" vague, I think it should be left to the reader to decide what that means.

    You're right about my failure to define "rich." That was unintentional. For future posts, I'll define it as the top income decile.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/So_72qE1VvI/AAAAAAAALDY/N2821iRurlg/s400/mfg.jpg

  7. #7
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    No, of course not. Almost everybody pays between 20% and 30% of their income towards taxes overall. The only exceptions are people living in poverty, who pay 16%, and the super rich, who pay 15%. Obviously it is not fair for super rich people to get lower taxes than working people. All it is is corruption. They have enough money to buy politicians and they use that power to get tax perks for themselves.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  8. #8
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by NotEliTanenbaum View Post
    I intentionally left "fair share" vague, I think it should be left to the reader to decide what that means.

    You're right about my failure to define "rich." That was unintentional. For future posts, I'll define it as the top income decile.
    Perhaps the best way to ask that question (proper taxation of the rich) is: The correct FIT rate for AGI of over $250,000 is 10%, 20%, 30%... 100%. Better yet, include ALL current IRS AGI brackets in the poll.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-03-12 at 02:43 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #9
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, of course not. Almost everybody pays between 20% and 30% of their income towards taxes overall. The only exceptions are people living in poverty, who pay 16%, and the super rich, who pay 15%. Obviously it is not fair for super rich people to get lower taxes than working people. All it is is corruption. They have enough money to buy politicians and they use that power to get tax perks for themselves.
    Exactly..........!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?
    No. Only a flat tax can give you that.
    But then, the tax system is so out of balance (complicated and like a Swiss cheese), so a flat tax per se wouldn't really matter now.

Page 1 of 126 1231151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •