View Poll Results: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 45.30%
  • No

    99 54.70%
Page 17 of 126 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1260

Thread: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

  1. #161
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    How can it be honest to present arguments, over and over, which you obviously know are false because you're presented them many times before, had them debunked many times before, and never been able to defend your position?



    You understand that when you make a claim, somebody posts a counter argument, and you just ignore it and repeat your initial claim, you lost the debate, right? You claim to be a lawyer. You tell me. If the other side argues that there is a problem with jurisdiction or whatever and you just pretend you didn't hear and go babble about something unrelated, who wins? Same deal.

    1) debunked-teamosil speak for "i don't like them

    2) lost-teamosil speak for I don't like your opinion

    3) teamosil talks about my profession-what does teamosil do

  2. #162
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    The reason a consumption tax is better for everyone, is that everyone has more control in how much tax they pay. If the only exemptions are food, medicine and previously used items, then people are really only adversly affected when they buy an item other than those. The other big reason is it is easier to collect a consumption tax because business does it for the government. There are far fewer businesses then people hence easier to spot fraud. It is less intrusive in private citizens lives. And the best part if it goes up people know about it.
    it also castrates congress of the extra constitutional power congress grabbed with the income tax that it gets from playing net tax payers against net tax consumers or the ability they get to reward their supporters with tax breaks etc

  3. #163
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a sales tax won't allow the many to vote up the rates of the few, an income tax does when it has different rates. but that was a fairly decent post
    A sales tax could be made just as progressive as an income tax. Just have a different tax rate for 'luxury' items, and you have a progressive sales tax. So realistically, a sales tax could be used to allow the many to vote up the rates of a few just as easily as an income tax could.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #164
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    1) debunked-teamosil speak for "i don't like them

    2) lost-teamosil speak for I don't like your opinion
    No kiddo. There is no subjectivity in it. When you fail to come up with any defense at all against arguments against your position, you lost. Period. You know that obviously. Everybody over 6 years old knows that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    3) teamosil talks about my profession-what does teamosil do
    I actually do what you claim to do. Except I do it at a more prestigious firm than exists in your state. Remember that embarrassing string of incidents where I quizzed you on basic legal questions and you were unable to answer?
    Last edited by teamosil; 06-03-12 at 09:42 PM.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A sales tax could be made just as progressive as an income tax. Just have a different tax rate for 'luxury' items, and you have a progressive sales tax. So realistically, a sales tax could be used to allow the many to vote up the rates of a few just as easily as an income tax could.
    yeah we saw how great that idiocy worked under Clinton. all that would do is punish those who make "luxury" items. of course for me a big tv is not a luxury but for someone making Minimum wage it is so maybe we tax the poor more for stuff they really shouldn't be buying?

    the entire goal is to castrate congress by allowing such pandering

  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No kiddo. There is no subjectivity in it. When you fail to come up with any defense at all against arguments against your position, you lost. Period. You know that obviously. Everybody over 6 years old knows that.



    I actually do what you claim to do. Except I do it at a more prestigious firm than exists in your state. Remember that embarrassing string of incidents where I quizzed you on basic legal questions and you were unable to answer?
    Oh you claim to be a lawyer. that makes sense. lots of lawyers are into more and more government. they figure that expands their power.

    Kiddo-again lose the stupid sanctimony chances are I am older than you are and I suspect I have been paying taxes a lot longer and at much higher rates than you have.

    You keep awarding yourself special olympics medals. and when you make silly claims that "everybody over 6 knows that" knows what? that you want the rich to pay more? that I do not

    again its idiocy to assume that taxing the rich more is proper

  7. #167
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    This is one of those common fallacies that gets brought up whenever taxes and the poor are discussed. There seems to be this common belief that because anyone in America can become wealthy and successful (and I truly do believe that), that everyone can. And that simply isn't true. We need janitors, and gas station attendants, and store clerks, and burger flippers in this country. We need a lot of the, but because it's all unskilled labor, we don't pay those people much. There will always be those people, in fairly large numbers. Not everyone can be a CEO, or even an engineer, lawyer, or doctor.
    Its not a lottery in this country. It is a fallacy to presume that every one that is a janitor or a store clerk is going to remain so for the rest of their lives. That is the furthest thing from the truth. Yes we need janitors and et all, but what makes you think that they will not eventualy own they own janitorial service, or retail store, or burger joint? You think all those businesses are owned by the "rich". The biggest business in America today is Small business. Mom and pop business. Owning gas stations, and stores, and janitorial services.
    Not everyone wants to be a doctor or lawyer. By the way out of all the doctors and lawyers you have met, how many were truly wealthy? News flash most people in business dont work 40 hours a week. If they did they wouldnt be in business long. They routinely work 80 hrs a week or more. In other words they bust their butts to get ahead. If you cant make it in this country you cant make it anywhere. All it requires in this country is the willingness to bust your ass. Period. You dont need special knowledge or a even a degree. Hell you dont even have to finish high school. Its a matter of making reasonably decent choices and comiting yourself to a course of action. That is it. Anybody can make money in this country. Will you have as much as Bill Gates probably not. Will you be able to be finacially free? Hell Yea. ANYONE CAN DO IT IF THEY PUT THEIR MIND TO IT.
    Last edited by PirateMk1; 06-03-12 at 09:58 PM.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #168
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    again its idiocy to assume that taxing the rich more is proper
    Obviously you're wrong though, right? That's why you're unable to come up with a defense against all the arguments being presented against you. Well, at least that is the most flattering of the possible explanations for why you're unable to come up with defenses.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #169
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,355
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?Teamosil, Turtledude, take it elsewhere. If you guys talk about the other at all again, you will be removed from the thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #170
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Obviously you're wrong though, right? That's why you're unable to come up with a defense against all the arguments being presented against you. Well, at least that is the most flattering of the possible explanations for why you're unable to come up with defenses.

    we have different philosophies

    nothing more nothing less

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •