View Poll Results: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 45.30%
  • No

    99 54.70%
Page 16 of 126 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 1260

Thread: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

  1. #151
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    More dependent on the government? What are you talking about kiddo? You're just babbling. You lose every single point and then just ramble off in another direction babbling random sentences. It's pathetic. Aren't you ashamed by how badly you lose every debate?



    Kiddo, you seem to think that people in poverty just get all their money from the government, but obviously you understand that isn't true, right? Why do you keep posting things that you know are false? What is the matter with your brain?
    So where do the poor get their money?
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  2. #152
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    More dependent on the government? What are you talking about kiddo? You're just babbling. You lose every single point and then just ramble off in another direction babbling random sentences. It's pathetic. Aren't you ashamed by how badly you lose every debate?



    Kiddo, you seem to think that people in poverty just get all their money from the government, but obviously you understand that isn't true, right? Why do you keep posting things that you know are false? What is the matter with your brain?
    there is that sanctimonious nonsense again.

    I am honest in what i post-you just don't accept anyone not buying into the from each according to their ability bs.

    Lose debates? LOL-according to whom? the parasite enablers' society? the welfare socialist tea club?

    Kiddo? again another LOL.

  3. #153
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    So where do the poor get their money?
    that's gonna cause some serious sidestepping

  4. #154
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I find it compelling that someone paying 100K a year in taxes is getting far less value for his tax payments than someone paying 1000 dollars a year in the same income taxes.
    I sort of disagree with this. Someone who only pays $1000 a year in taxes probably gets more direct benefit from what he pays than someone paying $100k a year. The person paying $100k a year is benefiting a lot more indirectly from the system that his taxes pay to maintain than the person paying $1000 a year does.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I find it the attitude that ability to pay (which is so loaded a term that it is worthless) is the only factor that should be taken into account is pernicious because those who claim they don't have much ability to pay will demand more and more from the government while arguing others should pay the bill.
    You're partly right. There are a lot of people out there not paying any income tax that should be. And a lot of those people would falsely claim that they don't have the ability to pay any. That doesn't change the fact that there are people out there that don't have the ability to pay any taxes without affecting their ability to provide themselves and their families with the very basic necessities. I'm talking about food, shelter, clothes, transportation to a job.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a consumption tax requires far less government involvement and control
    I don't see how. Collecting a sales tax with a few simple deductions isn't inherently any simpler than collecting an income tax with a few simple deductions.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if someone making 25K a year and still decides to have two kids, maybe they will be less likely to want a government that requires them to pay 20% of their income in taxes than the current system does where they can vote for big spenders who want people like me to pay more and more
    Or maybe they didn't choose to have two kids while making 25k a year. Maybe they chose to have two kids while making 50k a year, and one of them lost their job. Are they just supposed to put the kids up for adoption?

    And you've yet to answer, why is it okay to have exemptions for cost of living with a sales tax, but not an income tax?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #155
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's gonna cause some serious sidestepping
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #156
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    So where do the poor get their money?
    Well by working of course. The overwhelming majority of people below the poverty line work at least full time. Many of them work two jobs and up to 80 hours a week. Only about 0.5% of the population is on actual welfare (TANF). And they are virtually all disabled or new mothers who can't work because child care costs more per hour than they could make. The vast majority of people in poverty work minimum wage jobs.
    Last edited by teamosil; 06-03-12 at 09:23 PM.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #157
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Maybe it will motivate them to make some money and accumulate some wealth.
    This is one of those common fallacies that gets brought up whenever taxes and the poor are discussed. There seems to be this common belief that because anyone in America can become wealthy and successful (and I truly do believe that), that everyone can. And that simply isn't true. We need janitors, and gas station attendants, and store clerks, and burger flippers in this country. We need a lot of the, but because it's all unskilled labor, we don't pay those people much. There will always be those people, in fairly large numbers. Not everyone can be a CEO, or even an engineer, lawyer, or doctor.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #158
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am honest in what i post-you just don't accept anyone not buying into the from each according to their ability bs.
    How can it be honest to present arguments, over and over, which you obviously know are false because you're presented them many times before, had them debunked many times before, and never been able to defend your position?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Lose debates? LOL-according to whom? the parasite enablers' society? the welfare socialist tea club?
    You understand that when you make a claim, somebody posts a counter argument, and you just ignore it and repeat your initial claim, you lost the debate, right? You claim to be a lawyer. You tell me. If the other side argues that there is a problem with jurisdiction or whatever and you just pretend you didn't hear and go babble about something unrelated, who wins? Same deal.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #159
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I sort of disagree with this. Someone who only pays $1000 a year in taxes probably gets more direct benefit from what he pays than someone paying $100k a year. The person paying $100k a year is benefiting a lot more indirectly from the system that his taxes pay to maintain than the person paying $1000 a year does.



    You're partly right. There are a lot of people out there not paying any income tax that should be. And a lot of those people would falsely claim that they don't have the ability to pay any. That doesn't change the fact that there are people out there that don't have the ability to pay any taxes without affecting their ability to provide themselves and their families with the very basic necessities. I'm talking about food, shelter, clothes, transportation to a job.



    I don't see how. Collecting a sales tax with a few simple deductions isn't inherently any simpler than collecting an income tax with a few simple deductions.



    Or maybe they didn't choose to have two kids while making 25k a year. Maybe they chose to have two kids while making 50k a year, and one of them lost their job. Are they just supposed to put the kids up for adoption?

    And you've yet to answer, why is it okay to have exemptions for cost of living with a sales tax, but not an income tax?

    a sales tax won't allow the many to vote up the rates of the few, an income tax does when it has different rates. but that was a fairly decent post

  10. #160
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I sort of disagree with this. Someone who only pays $1000 a year in taxes probably gets more direct benefit from what he pays than someone paying $100k a year. The person paying $100k a year is benefiting a lot more indirectly from the system that his taxes pay to maintain than the person paying $1000 a year does.



    You're partly right. There are a lot of people out there not paying any income tax that should be. And a lot of those people would falsely claim that they don't have the ability to pay any. That doesn't change the fact that there are people out there that don't have the ability to pay any taxes without affecting their ability to provide themselves and their families with the very basic necessities. I'm talking about food, shelter, clothes, transportation to a job.



    I don't see how. Collecting a sales tax with a few simple deductions isn't inherently any simpler than collecting an income tax with a few simple deductions.



    Or maybe they didn't choose to have two kids while making 25k a year. Maybe they chose to have two kids while making 50k a year, and one of them lost their job. Are they just supposed to put the kids up for adoption?

    And you've yet to answer, why is it okay to have exemptions for cost of living with a sales tax, but not an income tax?
    The reason a consumption tax is better for everyone, is that everyone has more control in how much tax they pay. If the only exemptions are food, medicine and previously used items, then people are really only adversly affected when they buy an item other than those. The other big reason is it is easier to collect a consumption tax because business does it for the government. There are far fewer businesses then people hence easier to spot fraud. It is less intrusive in private citizens lives. And the best part if it goes up people know about it.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •