View Poll Results: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 45.30%
  • No

    99 54.70%
Page 14 of 126 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1260

Thread: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

  1. #131
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    WTF is the matter with you? Just just said it again barely an hour after I called you out for saying exactly that same thing. Again, that makes zero sense. Obviously. Every progressive tax is progressive. You can't tell any more about our society's tax system by just looking at progressive taxes than you can tell what color the marbles are in a jar by only looking at the blue ones. What you're saying is just breathtakingly stupid. I already pointed that out very clearly. You need to engage your brain man. Stop just repeating yourself and pretending nobody is responding to what you're saying. If you can't defend something, you need to drop it. Do you understand?
    You spew psychobabbling leftwing drivel and you claim others are stupid? If you are so smart why are you so dependent on the government? The fact is, the rich pay the highest FIT rates

    end of story

  2. #132
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You spew psychobabbling leftwing drivel and you claim others are stupid? If you are so smart why are you so dependent on the government? The fact is, the rich pay the highest FIT rates

    end of story
    If debating politics is too hard for you, why don't you find another hobby?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  3. #133
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If debating politics is too hard for you, why don't you find another hobby?

    actually its rather easy when dealing with the tax the rich crowd

    now tell us why the rich should pay a higher percentage than others as well as paying more actual dollars.

    and your idiotic signature is just that-it is a compilation of all taxes which is silly and its a lie because people living in poverty are often paying sales taxes with MONEY given to them by the government meaning its us taxpayers who are paying the poor's tax bill

  4. #134
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why should the government get two cracks at money when there was no exchange in value. Gifts should never be taxed, they are not income and they are not an exchange for value.
    Well if we're going to go that route, why should the government get two cracks at money where there was an exchange in value? If we start going down that road, then pretty soon there will be no taxes at all, which great as that would be, is obviously impossible. The federal government taxes income. I want them to tax it all equally, regardless of the source.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the people who whine about inheritances are generally those who are mad they didn't get one
    That may apply to some. It doesn't apply to me. My wife and I received a fairly decent sized inheritance last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why do you spend so much time justifying the government taking yet more money from other people
    I'm not trying to justify the government taking more money from people. At least not in the sense that I think you're talking about, i.e. increasing total tax revenue as a whole. If you're simply asking why I'm suggesting a plan that results in some people paying more and others paying less than in the current system, then that's just a stupid question. Any plan that changes anything about the tax code would result in some paying more and some paying less.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    do you honestly believe that the government actually needs more money?
    For the time being, yes, probably. If we're going to get the debt paid off any time soon then more tax revenue is probably going to be part of it. I'm absolutely in favor of cutting government spending too though. And in the long term, once the debt is paid down to a much more reasonable number, then I do think that government spending and revenue could go down somewhat.

    But I'm not suggesting just taxing capital gains and inheritance at the same rate as income and leaving it there. I'm suggesting that as part of restructuring the tax system as a whole. A restructuring that would be revenue neutral. So while tax rates on capital gains and inheritance would go up, income tax rates would drop for many to compensate (though they'd go up a little for some of the lower-income people most likely).

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and the only people raped by the inheritance taxes are those who are the top bracket payers anyway. the vast majority of people don't pay it-why should only a small group get hit with this-the group that pays more taxes than most of the rest of the country combined?
    Well for one, because the only people receiving large amounts of cash in an inheritance are the very wealthy. A lot of people that receive inheritances DO pay taxes on at least part of it, even if it isn't strictly called an 'inheritance tax'. For example, a lot of what my wife and I inherited was proceeds on the sale of her parents' home, and her mother's IRA. We paid capital gains tax on the money from selling the house, and because we chose not to roll over the IRA and instead use it to pay off our student loan debt, we paid income tax on that. So although the amount wasn't enough to pay either state or federal inheritance tax on, we did indeed end up paying a decent chunk of money in taxes on the inheritance we received.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    inheritance, estate, or death taxes are nothing more than a surcharge on the top tax payers
    A problem which my suggestion would solve, by requiring nearly everyone who inherited money to pay income tax on it.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #135
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Apparently the point I was making passed you all by. The point being the "rich" pay very little in the way of income tax because they own income producing assets, like businesses. The tax rate the rich pay is meaningless because they CONTROL how much tax they pay, because they pay that tax on what is LEFT. Employees have to pay the tax FIRST. Read my previous posts you'll understand. If you dont ask. I am in the big brackets so I know a thing or three.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #136
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    I oppose taxes on income for several reasons. A consumption tax would capture lots of illegal income, it would prevent the ability of the many to raise the rates on the few and it would not punish those who save and are frugal. Paying income taxes on inheritances is disgusting. Death should not be a taxable event and wealth within a family should not be taxed again.

    Do you want to take a crack at why the rich should pay a higher percentage?

  7. #137
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Apparently the point I was making passed you all by. The point being the "rich" pay very little in the way of income tax because they own income producing assets, like businesses. The tax rate the rich pay is meaningless because they CONTROL how much tax they pay, because they pay that tax on what is LEFT. Employees have to pay the tax FIRST. Read my previous posts you'll understand. If you dont ask. I am in the big brackets so I know a thing or three.
    actually most of us in the top one percent have substantial salary income. Lawyers, doctors, accountants, athletes, fortune 500 managers, etc all are examples of those in the top one percent who aren't owning the businesses that make them rich

  8. #138
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually its rather easy when dealing with the tax the rich crowd
    The whole "I could totally beat you guys in debates all the time, I just don't wanna" doesn't convince anybody I'm afraid TD.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    now tell us why the rich should pay a higher percentage than others as well as paying more actual dollars.
    How many times do you figure I've explained that to you already without you being able to come back with a counter argument? 100? 300?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #139
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The whole "I could totally beat you guys in debates all the time, I just don't wanna" doesn't convince anybody I'm afraid TD.



    How many times do you figure I've explained that to you already without you being able to come back with a counter argument? 100? 300?
    no matter what is said you will claim you won because you cannot fathom anyone disagreeing with a soak the rich tax scheme.

    you have never made a good argument as to why a progressive tax is appropriate. it is based on your values not any evidence.

    a flat tax would mean the rich pay more actual dollars, a consumption tax too but what these prevent is people like you jacking up the rates of a few to pander to the many

    That is the counter argument. a progressive tax system caters to politicians to promise the many more and more services without the many having to pay more taxes (and thus less likely to vote vote the big spenders). That is the entire reason behind the progressive taxes

    rewarding lots of voters while making only a small group of voters bear most of the costs

    and what is the damage of that system other than the inherent unfairness of sticking the tax bill to those who don't drive the spending?

    it causes massive government since most voters aren't aware of the costs

  10. #140
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I oppose taxes on income for several reasons. A consumption tax would capture lots of illegal income, it would prevent the ability of the many to raise the rates on the few and it would not punish those who save and are frugal. Paying income taxes on inheritances is disgusting. Death should not be a taxable event and wealth within a family should not be taxed again.
    The biggest problem with a consumption tax is that it disproportionately hits the lower and middle classes who spend a higher percentage of their money than the wealthy do. It essentially lets the wealthy choose how much tax to pay, because if they don't want to pay as much tax, they simply don't spend as much money, which they can afford to do without significantly affecting their standard of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Do you want to take a crack at why the rich should pay a higher percentage?
    Are we talking about marginal tax rate, or effective tax rate here. If we're talking about marginal tax rate, then the wealthy shouldn't pay a higher percentage. If we're talking about effective tax rate, then it's for one very simple reason. Because the wealthy can afford to pay more without affecting their ability to provide themselves with the basic necessities of life.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •