View Poll Results: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 45.30%
  • No

    99 54.70%
Page 118 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1260

Thread: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

  1. #1171
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    For most of the history of this county there were no food stamps, welfare, or housing assistance.


    NEWS FLASH - PEOPLE DID STARVE TO DEATH


    NEWS FLASH - PEOPLE STARVE TO DEATH NOW
    We've reduced it, we haven't stopped it.


    NEWS FLASH - There's nothing funny about Americans starving to death.
    I would like to see your evidence of this?

  2. #1172
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I would like to see your evidence of this?
    WHO | Global Health Observatory Data Repository


    Mostly in the US it's what I said earlier - malnutrition leading to illness then death - but since that was such a mouthful I did not keep repeating it for 10 pages.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #1173
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    WHO | Global Health Observatory Data Repository


    Mostly in the US it's what I said earlier - malnutrition leading to illness then death - but since that was such a mouthful I did not keep repeating it for 10 pages.
    The portions under "Population below minimum level of dietary energy consumption" are blank. Can you cite the relevant statistic? How many Americans starve to death annually?

  4. #1174
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    real question is why do idiots making $80k support people making $300 million year?
    And the $80k guy is paying 2x the taxes? LOL

  5. #1175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I note you do not deny counting FICA in your tax bill. however counting only pure income tax rates I doubt your claims
    I have had years where I pay a larger percentage in my income in federal income tax alone that Mittens did in federal income tax alone. I have explained before that I have a wide and varied stream of income. Yes, I work for a member of the legislature. But I do that mostly as a hobby. I could quit today, get Social Security and expand my consulting and make up the same revenues if I wanted to do so. I stay on as a favor to a former student. I have a pension from 33 years as an educator. I do political consulting work on the side. I have royalty revenue from books. I have shared in film rights sales. I have income from sales of collectibles and art.

    In other years, where Mittens paid a higher income tax percentage than I did, I paid a total tax bill of a higher percentage when you add in other federal taxes such as FICA. In those years my income came mostly from teaching or legislative employment and the royalties may have been down. In years where I do count FICA, in fairness, I would also count the FICA from Mittens as well, It would not be fair to do otherwise.

    But no matter how you want to calculate it, I have years where I pay a larger percentage that Mittens in federal taxes.

    Your doubts are your own right. Enjoy them.
    Last edited by haymarket; 06-29-12 at 07:39 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1176
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The portions under "Population below minimum level of dietary energy consumption" are blank. Can you cite the relevant statistic? How many Americans starve to death annually?
    From actual starvation? Just over 100/yr IIRC. From malnutrition leading to illness and death? Probably thousands easily - but it's hard to tell with poor health care thrown into the mix as well.


    http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/120995/ap057.pdf
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-29-12 at 09:09 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #1177
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    real question is why do idiots making $80k support people making $300 million year?
    And the $80k guy is paying 2x the taxes? LOL
    Because they have other issues that over ride them getting shafted and supporting the rich that shaft them....racism..silly beliefs that democrats can take our guns...NO ONE CAN TAKE OUR GUNS ANYMORE its impossible now. Abortion...Religion...so many extraneous one issue things that in the whole scope mean nothing...without all the others...but thats how it is...theres people making 20-30-40 grand supporting the super rich...for super stupid reasons in my opinion

  8. #1178
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Because they have other issues that over ride them getting shafted and supporting the rich that shaft them....racism..silly beliefs that democrats can take our guns...NO ONE CAN TAKE OUR GUNS ANYMORE its impossible now. Abortion...Religion...so many extraneous one issue things that in the whole scope mean nothing...without all the others...but thats how it is...theres people making 20-30-40 grand supporting the super rich...for super stupid reasons in my opinion
    In Virginia, they are known as trailer park Republicans ~


    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #1179
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    real question is why do idiots making $80k support people making $300 million year?
    And the $80k guy is paying 2x the taxes? LOL
    2X the taxes? What idiocy. Someone with 300 Million that is Only investment income still pays a far higher effective rate than someone making 80K

    and the rich guy pays more taxes in a quarter than the 80K guy will pay in a lifetime

    stop the silly nonsense

  10. #1180
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have had years where I pay a larger percentage in my income in federal income tax alone that Mittens did in federal income tax alone. I have explained before that I have a wide and varied stream of income. Yes, I work for a member of the legislature. But I do that mostly as a hobby. I could quit today, get Social Security and expand my consulting and make up the same revenues if I wanted to do so. I stay on as a favor to a former student. I have a pension from 33 years as an educator. I do political consulting work on the side. I have royalty revenue from books. I have shared in film rights sales. I have income from sales of collectibles and art.

    In other years, where Mittens paid a higher income tax percentage than I did, I paid a total tax bill of a higher percentage when you add in other federal taxes such as FICA. In those years my income came mostly from teaching or legislative employment and the royalties may have been down. In years where I do count FICA, in fairness, I would also count the FICA from Mittens as well, It would not be fair to do otherwise.

    But no matter how you want to calculate it, I have years where I pay a larger percentage that Mittens in federal taxes.

    Your doubts are your own right. Enjoy them.
    Romney pays more federal taxes on his income in a year than you will in your lifetime

    you have no grounds to whine about his rates

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •