View Poll Results: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    82 45.30%
  • No

    99 54.70%
Page 117 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1260

Thread: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

  1. #1161
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Definitely agree with the "desperately running" part, not at all sure about the calculator though. ;-)

    I keep asking for a definition of a "fair" simple income tax system, yet NEVER get detailed responses. All are SURE they will know it when they see it, yet somehow can not quite describe it. We surely do not need 80K+ pages of FIT law, yet when asked what IS fair, it seems to ALWAYS be some minor "tweek" to the current code, shifting even more of the tax burden from the bottom to the top. Hmm...
    No kidding. We should toss that whole damn thing and just start over.

  2. #1162
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpevans View Post

    You're right about that, the Romney-Bot probably did pay more in taxes than I made in my best year with lots of OT, for walking iron, pulling welding leads. & all he's doing is running for president.
    They say that Investing is risky & you don't always win, But there are deductions for losses, yet the rate is held low at 15%. If 15% is more than the average wage earner makes per year Gross, then effen right it's to low.
    I'm going to assume that you intentionally changed the FIT rate for yearly income to make your point.

    I have no problem with him having lots and lots of money. I have a slight problem with him paying a higher percentage because he or his family earned that money, but it's minor since progressive rates are what they are. However, saying he doesn't pay enough when he pays a higher rate than 97% and pays more money than over 99% of the population doesn't sit well with me.

    I just don't think accumulating wealth is just cause to have your earnings further confiscated.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  3. #1163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You're the ones making relatively unlikely claims in here about your tax data. Put up or shut up. besides, it's not as if the base numbers are all that revealing - like someone is going to find out who you are in RL by your salary?

    Here, I'll post you mine from 2011:

    Wages Tips and Other Compensation: $28,228.62
    Federal Tax Withheld: $922.85
    Social Security Tax Withheld: $1,248.38
    Medicare Tax Withheld: $430.99

    See now? That wasn't so hard at all.
    Here is a news bulletin for you: I could not care less if you believe me or not. You see, your opinion cannot possible change the fact of my tax payments.

    The simple fact is that I paid a higher percentage of my income in federal taxes that Mittens did.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #1164
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Here is a news bulletin for you: I could not care less if you believe me or not. You see, your opinion cannot possible change the fact of my tax payments.

    The simple fact is that I paid a higher percentage of my income in federal taxes that Mittens did.
    I don't believe you make over 200K a year which is what it takes to have an effective tax rate that high. I believe you are counting FICA and perhaps state taxes to get that figure

  5. #1165
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't believe you make over 200K a year which is what it takes to have an effective tax rate that high. I believe you are counting FICA and perhaps state taxes to get that figure
    What you believe or do not believe is a decision of your own choosing.

    I know the difference between federal and state taxes.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What you believe or do not believe is a decision of your own choosing.

    I know the difference between federal and state taxes.
    I note you do not deny counting FICA in your tax bill. however counting only pure income tax rates I doubt your claims

  7. #1167
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Right. This is the same argument everyone that cries "increase taxes" uses.
    Yeah, the truth!

    I'll tell you what, I'll take the deal of paying all the other misc. taxes, if I don't have to pay federal and state taxes, can I get that deal?
    In Somalia you can!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #1168
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    If we cut off all the food stamps, welfare, and housing assistance, you would see just how "industrious" Americans would get. People all over this country are just wallowing in the "safety net." If it were removed, people would begin to see how life really is... that you better learn to be "industrious," because if you don't, you will starve to death.
    For most of the history of this county there were no food stamps, welfare, or housing assistance.


    NEWS FLASH - PEOPLE DID STARVE TO DEATH


    NEWS FLASH - PEOPLE STARVE TO DEATH NOW
    We've reduced it, we haven't stopped it.


    NEWS FLASH - There's nothing funny about Americans starving to death.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-29-12 at 02:24 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #1169
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    There you have it folks. Mo Believes the answer to helping those without opportunity is to educate them less.

    God damn, just when I thought it couldn't get any crazier. You have certainly kept it interesting Mo.

    Should you just really go nuts with it Mo? Maybe an anti-education campaign? You could find the most unfortunate and easily swayed, and tell them to "drop the **** out of school you idiot, it's not helping, you could be working unskilled labor! You'd unclog those unemployment lines, you'd be national hero. You are a real visionary.
    Irrelevant and ranting at that. It's a good show but, like those old strip shows that use a 50-year-old hooker for the finale - there's not a lot of real content to be seen. Good job at distraction, though. Have you thought of hawking at a menagerie?


    The same number of people will still be out of work regardless of how much you want to paint it differently.


    But you keep telling yourself that anyone can create jobs from nowhere. The Republicans have been chanting for decades that only the rich can do that.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-29-12 at 02:49 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #1170
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Do the Rich Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Here is a news bulletin for you: I could not care less if you believe me or not. You see, your opinion cannot possible change the fact of my tax payments.

    The simple fact is that I paid a higher percentage of my income in federal taxes that Mittens did.
    Right. So you couldn't come up with a number that allowed you to pay a higher tax rate than Mitt Romney without making boodles of cash.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    I don't believe you make over 200K a year which is what it takes to have an effective tax rate that high. I believe you are counting FICA and perhaps state taxes to get that figure
    At best that is what he is doing. I find it just as likely that he is claiming his nominal rate as "what he paid" here on the board.



    Either way, he refuses to demonstrate his math, indicating that he knows he is either A) twisting the numbers or B) simply making crap up.
    Last edited by cpwill; 06-29-12 at 03:23 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •