View Poll Results: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    44 75.86%
  • Yes

    14 24.14%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 137

Thread: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

  1. #61
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    If people vote strictly along party lines, does it matter if they're informed or not?
    I know several people who vote strict party line, and the split between informed voter and uninformed voter I'd say is roughly 50/50.

    Then there's people like my aunt. VERY partisan. Can discuss and debate issues all day long, and usually has her basic facts straight, but... she's still a partisan hack and goes into every candidate and issue with a pre-conceived bias. She votes straight party line as well.

    I know others who vote straight party line, but not because they are party-blind. It just ends up working out that way more often than not. They do put honest thought into the process, but the alternatives are too different from their philosophies and aren't appealing to them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #62
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    No, because the government could just raise taxes to a level most people cannot afford, and thus becomes an oligarchy that rules over them and disenfranchise them.
    As if we don't have an oligarchy now whereby those with wealth and power solidify their position through the government? Well, I shouldn't be so general, as there is a difference between those who earned their wealth and those who abused government to do it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #63
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    People who advocate tying voting to property ownership are really only trying to artificially skew the results in their favor. For the most part, they know that property owners are more likely to be and think like them, and that they'd get what they want as a result.

    Not really surprising if you understand base human nature, but still intellectually dishonest.
    It's not dishonest. Those with property are most concerned with preserving the value of that property, whether it be land, capital, etc. In this way, those with land are trying to preserve the production apparatus of this country. Those without property do not care, and so can vote to dismantle that property (and pretty much have done so what with the income tax, capital gains tax, corporate tax, Federal Reserve, etc.). In the best interest of wealth, you want to preserve production, and if you must allow voting, you must only allow those to vote whom you know will preserve that productive capacity.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #64
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Every single US citizen should vote. I hate when people complain about the govt and then say they dont vote. Its the only way to make a difference.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  5. #65
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Every single US citizen should vote. I hate when people complain about the govt and then say they dont vote. Its the only way to make a difference.
    Because having 1 vote among the millions of other people really doesn't make a difference. Your high school civics class was nothing more than propaganda for the state.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #66
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Because having 1 vote among the millions of other people really doesn't make a difference. Your high school civics class was nothing more than propaganda for the state.
    I think it does make a difference. you this election cycle santorum won iowa by 20 votes. now if there are bunch of people in the state that share your opinion they probably didnt vote. There have been so many close elections i think every vote does make a difference.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #67
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Well, I would say that we should vote as even us on this board are all uninformed by some extent on certain issues even though we may have more knowledge than the average voter.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  8. #68
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    I think it does make a difference. you this election cycle santorum won iowa by 20 votes. now if there are bunch of people in the state that share your opinion they probably didnt vote. There have been so many close elections i think every vote does make a difference.
    Well, I think that in presidential elections, your single vote does not make a difference, but as you go down to the state and local levels, your vote increases. For example, in the last presidential election you had about 131 million people voting (Newsroom: Voting: Voter Turnout Increases by 5 Million in 2008 Presidential Election, U.S. Census Bureau Reports), thus my one vote would not make a difference. But if it were a local vote, out of a town of say, only 24,000, then yes your vote would increase dramatically.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  9. #69
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    I think it does make a difference. you this election cycle santorum won iowa by 20 votes. now if there are bunch of people in the state that share your opinion they probably didnt vote. There have been so many close elections i think every vote does make a difference.
    Well Santorum didn't win, but that's besides the point. Elections are almost never decided by that close of a margin, and even if they are, you're probably not in the state where it makes a difference. Voting is a ruse that makes you believe that you have some role in the federal government. You have none. This is why I support secession. We need smaller governments (I'd argue down to the size of families) so that we can actually have some real role in the way we are governed.

    Your own congressman, the person you have most access to in the federal government, doesn't give two craps about you. You are nothing to him/her.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #70
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Well, I think that in presidential elections, your single vote does not make a difference, but as you go down to the state and local levels, your vote increases. For example, in the last presidential election you had about 131 million people voting (Newsroom: Voting: Voter Turnout Increases by 5 Million in 2008 Presidential Election, U.S. Census Bureau Reports), thus my one vote would not make a difference. But if it were a local vote, out of a town of say, only 24,000, then yes your vote would increase dramatically.
    Yes, that's the point.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •