View Poll Results: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    44 75.86%
  • Yes

    14 24.14%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 137

Thread: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    slave labor for another....

  2. #52
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    ...

    Ok well, if you can't see it, I will explain it to you, even though I just did.

    People have concerns.
    Things happen, this is called current events.

    Ok, keep these two things in mind.

    People react to current events with their concerns and sometimes want a solution.

    People vote to improve their lives.

    People improving their lives has lots to do with their concerns being addressed.

    This is why elections tend to have themes in any given cycle. This time around its mainly about jobs and the economy.
    Sigh...
    I was hoping you would understand it, but I guess not.
    This was already addressed.
    Why should they be informed of the issues of the day?
    Especially when those issues may not concern them.

    The emboldened portion addresses what you keep saying.
    We do not need current affairs because, what concerns one may not concern another.


    The underline portion of what you say.
    Unfortunately we can't get rid of these people, so maybe we can weed them out by other means.





    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    You do realize that raw intelligence and applied intelligence are different concepts, right?
    You do realize that both can be tested right?
    If a person doesn't have reasoning skills, they aren't going to be able to reason out who is best to vote for.

    And as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter.

    If we are setting the standards, then the rest have a chance at increasing their knowledge and IQ, and retesting
    Set the standards and be done with it.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    09-10-12 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Ideally, yeah, they should be allowed, but should opt not to. But the sad reality is that most uninformed people don't realize they're uninformed. They figure they watched Glenn Beck and he told them what to do, so they must be more informed that folks who didn't or whatever.
    I hardly think Glenn Beck watchers are uninformed. At the very least they are showing interest in politics. The same cannot be said of those who vote after avoiding political programming altogether.

  4. #54
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I'll do you one better. Those without property should not be voting.
    Or perhaps simply those who are net tax payers get to vote? You pay your taxes one day, get your bit notarized, then you go and vote the next day, with how much you are paying still fresh in your mind.

  5. #55
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Sigh...
    I was hoping you would understand it, but I guess not.
    This was already addressed.
    Why should they be informed of the issues of the day?
    Especially when those issues may not concern them.

    The emboldened portion addresses what you keep saying.
    We do not need current affairs because, what concerns one may not concern another.


    The underline portion of what you say.
    Unfortunately we can't get rid of these people, so maybe we can weed them out by other means.
    The term issues of the day certainly morphs from one person to the next but it always exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You do realize that both can be tested right?
    If a person doesn't have reasoning skills, they aren't going to be able to reason out who is best to vote for.
    This is not how intelligence works. People will always use subjective measures of value in determining these things, which goes back to my original question.

    Whats the standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter.

    If we are setting the standards, then the rest have a chance at increasing their knowledge and IQ, and retesting
    Set the standards and be done with it.
    Than you should study human behavior, because this is not how people work in large groups.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    If people vote strictly along party lines, does it matter if they're informed or not?

  7. #57
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by NotEliTanenbaum View Post
    Note that I'm not asking if uninformed citizens should be allowed to vote. I'm just whether you think they should vote.
    Yes, I think all citizens should be allowed to vote.

    Especially when our government is keeping everything they are doing a secret, and so are keeping the voters uninformed.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #58
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Or perhaps simply those who are net tax payers get to vote? You pay your taxes one day, get your bit notarized, then you go and vote the next day, with how much you are paying still fresh in your mind.
    No, because the government could just raise taxes to a level most people cannot afford, and thus becomes an oligarchy that rules over them and disenfranchise them.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  9. #59
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    You would have to be a long term hermit without electricity to be uninformed. Many voters might be less informed, but to not ever hear any of the issues or the candidate's positions would be nigh impossible.

    Vote away!

  10. #60
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Should Uninformed Citizens Vote?

    People who advocate tying voting to property ownership are really only trying to artificially skew the results in their favor. For the most part, they know that property owners are more likely to be and think like them, and that they'd get what they want as a result.

    Not really surprising if you understand base human nature, but still intellectually dishonest.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •