View Poll Results: Should mothers be allowed to abort because of gender, race, or sexual preference?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, abortion is a choice and the fetus isn't a person

    10 47.62%
  • No, discrimination is wrong even if the baby isn't born yet

    10 47.62%
  • Yes, under these circumstances:

    1 4.76%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72

Thread: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    We're not staunchly pro-choice. . . I don't believe that having a middle ground is unacceptable. We have a wide variety of limitations and controls thorughout the states - and federall some procedures (etc) aren't acceptable.

    Having limitation denotes that it is a serious issue - and isn't just a 'womens rights' concern. I really dont' like it when abortion is equated with me going to vote on election day . . . yes, it should be recognized and even controlled and limited to a degree.
    Personally I detest abortion. I'm against it unless the mother's life is at risk.

    Merely, it just makes me wonder why there'd be people who support abortion who then turn and say you can't abort because your child is male/female/"gay"/of a certain race/etc.

    Imo human life is something far more valuable than the right to kill. This certainly includes killing for select traits the unborn may have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Being pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean that you are for EVERYTHING. I'm pro-choice but I am against abortion in the last trimester unless the mothers health is at stake.

    The world is not black and white, why should human issues be black and white?
    To me it just seems that people aren't done "progressing" on this issue until they've hit the very end of their political ideology. We can easily see the progression from the last 100 years. The progression will continue for the next 100+ years, I think.

  2. #22
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Personally I detest abortion. I'm against it unless the mother's life is at risk.

    Merely, it just makes me wonder why there'd be people who support abortion who then turn and say you can't abort because your child is male/female/"gay"/of a certain race/etc.

    Imo human life is something far more valuable than the right to kill. This certainly includes killing for select traits the unborn may have.



    To me it just seems that people aren't done "progressing" on this issue until they've hit the very end of their political ideology. We can easily see the progression from the last 100 years. The progression will continue for the next 100+ years, I think.
    I see your point - to me it's not *just* a moral or ethical concern (right vs wrong) . . . it is very complex - every child born affects the health of the mother, family it's born into, siblings, education . . etc etc. . . . all these things do and should matter to a varying degree.

    Trying to make it black-and-white really cuts out the other aspects of all of it; it's not just about the mother and her life / health / education - it's about all others who will have to make changes and alter their paht in life as well.

    It's not *abortion is that important or impacting* - it's that *children are that important or impacting* . . . It makes little sense to me to bring a child into an unhealthy environment in which it's needs in life will not be met - it's a conflict of interests and rights. Very complicated.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #23
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Since it is already legal, why would (or should) there be restrictions placed on the reason why a woman wants an abortion? I doubt that the baby would really give a damn why it was being aborted, and to restrict womens' choices, based on a "why", which they can lie about anyway, would essentially be meaningless.

    I support choice, although I personally oppose abortion, and would not have one, because I believe it is the taking of a human life. Placing value on a baby due to it's sex, disability, or other factors one might find objectionable isn't really placing value in life itself, but making a judgement that one sex is preferable over another, or that a "perfect" baby has more value than an imperfect one. Since legally, fetuses aren 't considered persons, what difference does it make what one's reason for aborting may be?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #24
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    I think sex selective abortions are only really a problem if they become widespread. The individual desire of a couple to decide what shape they want their family to be is certainly something that ought to be protected. So long as there is not a one-sided epidemic of this that produces a massive imbalance between genders, in either direction, the aggregate effect isn't harmful. I think it's a shallow reason to abort a pregnancy, but I also think it's not any of our business why a person seeks an abortion.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    In China, they know all about aborting girls in order to try again for a boy. Recent undercover videos are showing that Planned Parenthood is advising the same thing in the US for mothers who wanted one gender and are getting another. Kill it and try again. Should aborting girls (or boys) in order to try again for a different gender be legal? Or is that a form of sex discrimination? Same with race. What if they discover a gay gene? Should parents be allowed to abort a gay child and try again for a straight one?
    It's a tricky subject actually. At base you would say well how is it really different than abortion in general? If one is allowed to abort, then it shouldn't matter the reason as to why they want to do it.

    The tricky part is if this aggregates to too high a level. If only a few people here and there are aborting on sex or race considerations; then it's fine. But if a lot of people start doing it in the same direction, as is the case in China, you will start to develop significant and serious demographic imbalances. We need to be aware of that because once we're not just taking nature at nature; but rather purposefully interfering with our population make up, you can cause serious problems down the road. If it's on some small number scale it won't be a big problem, but if too many people do it coherently then it will be a problem.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    In China, they know all about aborting girls in order to try again for a boy. Recent undercover videos are showing that Planned Parenthood is advising the same thing in the US for mothers who wanted one gender and are getting another. Kill it and try again. Should aborting girls (or boys) in order to try again for a different gender be legal? Or is that a form of sex discrimination? Same with race. What if they discover a gay gene? Should parents be allowed to abort a gay child and try again for a straight one?
    Unless the mother's life is in danger, no abortion should be permitted for any reason.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    To me it just seems that people aren't done "progressing" on this issue until they've hit the very end of their political ideology. We can easily see the progression from the last 100 years. The progression will continue for the next 100+ years, I think.
    People will never hit the very end of their political ideology.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Interesting. Once this becomes legal within the next 20 years, we can focus on families only having a child per coupl in an effort to save the planet from carbon build-up.

  9. #29
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Interesting. Once this becomes legal within the next 20 years, we can focus on families only having a child per coupl in an effort to save the planet from carbon build-up.
    They are already aborting them for whatever reason they want anyway. How would this make any difference?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: PRENDA - Prenatal Non-Descrimination Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Interesting. Once this becomes legal within the next 20 years, we can focus on families only having a child per coupl in an effort to save the planet from carbon build-up.
    We don't need to worry about it. If we count immigration, the US is at replacement.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •