View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #81
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Well, you tried to compare your solution to the other solutions being offered here. I was just letting you know that the comparison doesn't exist.
    I wasn't comparing anything. I just said that we can mock them.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Oh, but I never argued that choices, in this case obesity, don't have consequences. I argued that your solution of humiliation was a stupid idea since it does not solve the problem.
    I never laid claim to it being a solution. A little more of the ol' reading comprehension, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Ah, but that's the thing. The solutions I advocated in this thread are supported by research, so I have done my reading. However, the solution you advocated is not supported by anything but your own whims and since this is a debate forum, arguments supported by evidence are the least foolish thing of all.
    Again, humorously off the mark. Try reading.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #82
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Some. Not enough to see significant difference. Just more people unable to pay for care.
    If everyone were responsible for their own health care costs, they would be cognizant of their health status. They wouldln't seek medical care unnecessarily, they would price compare for drugs and physician office visits, and they would go to the ER for actual emergencies, rather than clinic issues, which is very common nowadays. The effect would bring costs down.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I wasn't comparing anything. I just said that we can mock them.
    Yeah...

    I never laid claim to it being a solution. A little more of the ol' reading comprehension, yes?
    Sure you did. You said it might make them go on a diet. You did, however, admit that it was just for amusement after that was pointed out to you.

    Again, humorously off the mark. Try reading.
    Today must be opposite day.

    American Public Health Association - The effect of state cigarette tax increases on cigarette sales, 1955 to 1988. (which is basis for my tax suggestion)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/phys...ls_obesity.pdf
    Even a Little Exercise Fights Obesity

    I made my claims, provided my evidence and wasted some time with a libertarian (is there really any other way to spend time with a libertarian?), so I think I'm done here. The back and forth was fun, but it's getting a little sad.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    If everyone were responsible for their own health care costs, they would be cognizant of their health status. They wouldln't seek medical care unnecessarily, they would price compare for drugs and physician office visits, and they would go to the ER for actual emergencies, rather than clinic issues, which is very common nowadays. The effect would bring costs down.
    That and if insurance companies charged market prices. The entire system has been colluded into some big mess that likely ends in a scam. People do use the ER a lot, but mostly because many cannot afford regular healthcare. If we had some base form of nationalized health care that was intelligently designed, people can go to the regular doctor for appropriate things and we could stop some medical conditions from reaching critical state wherein emergency care may be required; thus lowering the overall cost of healthcare. Not to say we should necessarily go that route; but to demonstrate that there are multiple ways in which we can achieve lower aggregate healthcare costs.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #85
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think, like all things, it's the type of government involvement that matters. Just because the government makes harmful decisions doesn't mean it can't make positive ones. Subsidizing corn to the degree it is now is harmful for the problem at hand. However, requiring that schools have 30 minutes of PE per day would be positive.

    Government involvement isn't an absolute good or an absolute bad. It's effect is relative to the type of solution it offers.
    It only needs to be involved when necessary. This isn't one of those times. Mandatory PE isn't always a good thing. The government should not care whether you are skinny, fat, or obese. If you have more health problems due to your obesity, than expect to have higher health care insurance.

    I am not saying the government should never be involved, but it is when the government engages in solutions that are necessary that lays the burden on the taxpayer, that is when I have a problem.
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #86
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Sure you did. You said it might make them go on a diet. You did, however, admit that it was just for amusement after that was pointed out to you.
    Not only did I say "perchance", I also later said it was a facetious statement. You know what facetious means don't you? Well if not, you obviously have the internet and can look it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Today must be opposite day.

    American Public Health Association - The effect of state cigarette tax increases on cigarette sales, 1955 to 1988. (which is basis for my tax suggestion)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/phys...ls_obesity.pdf
    Even a Little Exercise Fights Obesity

    I made my claims, provided my evidence and wasted some time with a libertarian (is there really any other way to spend time with a libertarian?), so I think I'm done here. The back and forth was fun, but it's getting a little sad.
    Again, humorously off the mark.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    It only needs to be involved when necessary. This isn't one of those times.
    I disagree and that's really just a matter of opinion.

    Mandatory PE isn't always a good thing.
    When is it not?

    The government should not care whether you are skinny, fat, or obese. If you have more health problems due to your obesity, than expect to have higher health care insurance.
    That's a common opinion, but my opinion is that the government should care when people's health habits start to cost the rest of society. This is one of those times.

    I am not saying the government should never be involved, but it is when the government engages in solutions that are necessary that lays the burden on the taxpayer, that is when I have a problem.
    Yeah, but obese people are going to cost you no matter what. So you either pay to solve it or you pay to sustain it. From where I'm looking, you're doing the latter.

  8. #88
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Not only did I say "perchance", I also later said it was a facetious statement. You know what facetious means don't you? Well if not, you obviously have the internet and can look it up.

    Again, humorously off the mark.
    Well if you don't respond to research/evidence, then there isn't anything else to say.

  9. #89
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That and if insurance companies charged market prices. The entire system has been colluded into some big mess that likely ends in a scam. People do use the ER a lot, but mostly because many cannot afford regular healthcare. If we had some base form of nationalized health care that was intelligently designed, people can go to the regular doctor for appropriate things and we could stop some medical conditions from reaching critical state wherein emergency care may be required; thus lowering the overall cost of healthcare. Not to say we should necessarily go that route; but to demonstrate that there are multiple ways in which we can achieve lower aggregate healthcare costs.
    There are several ways, but letting a free market determine prices would be the most cost-effective. If insurance was used only for true emergencies and catastrophic care (unexpected illnesses requiring hospitalization and related expenses), and people paid for their own drugs and office visits/routine care, competition would be in effect in choosing routine products and services. Insurance companies pay for entirely too much, thus have much control of the health care industry.

    What it really boils down to is this: what people pay for, they are more likely to value and care for. As an example, look at essentially any government "project" neighborhood, and you will see the results of people not valuing what they have, because they did nothing to earn it. Ownership and investment in something results in positive actions regarding it.
    Last edited by lizzie; 05-29-12 at 10:08 PM.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #90
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Well if you don't respond to research/evidence, then there isn't anything else to say.
    Hahah, normally yes. Here I was being facetious. There's not much we can do. Do we strip the choice of how one eats? Do we force them to exercise? While it would be good for then, for all of us, I don't see that as legitimate force of government. We can do educational campaigns, but who doesn't know that a balanced diet and exercise will lead to longevity and a lower probability of health problems? The information is out there. As such, we're just going to pay for it. We can argue method through which we do so; whether it be some stripped down insurance model or nationalized health care or to hold the road steady at paying more for and having less access to healthcare than other industrialized countries or something in between. But fat people being fat, what are you going to do? Protect themselves from themselves for their own good? Sanitized for our Protection?

    Education and proper healthcare reform would likely go much further than anything else to combat the problem. But in the end, everyone needs to be free to make their own choices. And if they choose to be fat, well so be it. I may, just may, choose to be a pretentious jerk and make fun of them. Not to solve any problems, but if the individual ain't gonna take steps to solve their problems, why should I step up to the plate and bat for them? It's a free country.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •