View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #71
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You advocated humiliating overweight people. Since that neither solves the problem nor exists for anything other than your own amusement, it's a stupid idea.
    According to you, perchance. But maybe the bullet hit too close to the mark on that one? Perchance my own amusement is worth it. I'll be paying for these guys one way or another anyway; I should get a little something something for my money.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #72
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Which accomplishes what?

    It's mostly a facetious comment.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    According to you, perchance. But maybe the bullet hit too close to the mark on that one? Perchance my own amusement is worth it. I'll be paying for these guys one way or another anyway; I should get a little something something for my money.
    In other words, you're just following the libertarian pattern: advocating ideas that have little to no value for society.

  4. #74
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Perhaps too much government involvement is what got us here in the first place. The high price of sugar because of tariffs and cheap corn because of subsidies has lead to the increased consumption of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) which has been shown to be extremely unhealthy. Now, I am not blaming the government for people choosing to eat items with HFCS, but when it is in the majority of food and drink and using real sugar is more expensive, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

    The decline and fall of high-fructose corn syrup. - Slate Magazine
    Hail to the King baby!

  5. #75
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    In other words, you're just following the libertarian pattern: advocating ideas that have little to no value for society.
    Well why can't I play along with everyone else? Y'all seem to like doing the same, so I figure it's fair game for me to join in as well. What is this Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer **** going on here? I can't play in your reindeer games cause I'm different? No presents for you!
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well why can't I play along with everyone else? Y'all seem to like doing the same, so I figure it's fair game for me to join in as well. What is this Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer **** going on here? I can't play in your reindeer games cause I'm different? No presents for you!
    Ah, I see. You believe that "humiliation" and "exercise" are equally valid solutions to health problems. Unfortunately, humiliation isn't a solution while exercise is. So again, you're just doing what libertarians do: advocating solutions that have no benefit for society. It's such a shame that the biggest problem libertarians face is just so easy to solve with a little critical thinking.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 05-29-12 at 08:49 PM.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Perhaps too much government involvement is what got us here in the first place. The high price of sugar because of tariffs and cheap corn because of subsidies has lead to the increased consumption of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) which has been shown to be extremely unhealthy. Now, I am not blaming the government for people choosing to eat items with HFCS, but when it is in the majority of food and drink and using real sugar is more expensive, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

    The decline and fall of high-fructose corn syrup. - Slate Magazine
    I think, like all things, it's the type of government involvement that matters. Just because the government makes harmful decisions doesn't mean it can't make positive ones. Subsidizing corn to the degree it is now is harmful for the problem at hand. However, requiring that schools have 30 minutes of PE per day would be positive.

    Government involvement isn't an absolute good or an absolute bad. It's effect is relative to the type of solution it offers.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Ah, I see. You believe that "humiliation" and "exercise" are equally valid solutions to health problems. Unfortunately, humiliation isn't a solution while exercise is. So again, you're just doing what libertarians do: advocating solutions that have no benefit for society. It's such a shame that the biggest problems libertarians face is just so easy to solve with a little critical thinking.
    I said nothing of the sort. I can't make anyone exercise though, their choice. Choices have consequences and one such consequence is being mocked for certain grotesqueries.

    I like your last sentence though because it is so humorously off the mark. Instead of claiming I need a little critical thinking, perchance you need a little critical reading. Then perhaps you won't look like the fool when you open your mouth.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    What the hell is this country coming to when people believe that they have a right to make people or force people through taxation or some other means to act a certain way on EVERYTHING? We have so many people complaining about government over reach...until it comes to a particular subject that they think they have a right to interfere with.

    Should we just do away with the pretense of Rights? Because that is what everyone is actually trying to do.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. I can't make anyone exercise though, their choice.
    Well, you tried to compare your solution to the other solutions being offered here. I was just letting you know that the comparison doesn't exist.

    Choices have consequences and one such consequence is being mocked for certain grotesqueries.
    Oh, but I never argued that choices, in this case obesity, don't have consequences. I argued that your solution of humiliation was a stupid idea since it does not solve the problem.

    I like your last sentence though because it is so humorously off the mark. Instead of claiming I need a little critical thinking, perchance you need a little critical reading. Then perhaps you won't look like the fool when you open your mouth.
    Ah, but that's the thing. The solutions I advocated in this thread are supported by research, so I have done my reading. However, the solution you advocated is not supported by anything but your own whims and since this is a debate forum, arguments supported by evidence are the least foolish thing of all.

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •