View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by 00timh View Post
    The only reason why society is bearing the costs of obesity is because of how messed up our health care system is. Individual responsibility means simply that. The individual should bear the costs of what they do to themselves.

    I should not have to pay higher taxes for them and their problems. I should also not have to pay higher prices for food that is not a problem for me because they choose to sit around and do nothing or do not practice moderation.
    This ideology covers a lot of ground. To implement this, we will have to turn people away, even in emergent situations.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Do you think our grandparents and great-grandparents were vegan pussies who ate nothing but salad? **** no they didn't eat vegan pussy food.They ate cheeseburgers, organ meats, french fries cooked in animal fat, candy bars,unfortified bread, stuff loaded with butter, stuff cooked in lard and other animal fat and a whole **** load of other unhealthy stuff.We do not need any regulation or food police to curb obesity. The cause of obesity is the fact Americans are living more sedimentary lives.Our jobs are more sedimentary and due to the length of distances some people have to travel to get to work or to a store we have to drive or ride to those places.

    Maybe we can do something for public school kids and kids on public assistance so that they are not obese when they are in school.For example-

    1. Make PE mandatory in all school grades.Get rid of a music class, foreign language class or some other elective to make it happen.

    2.Get the schools to have recess and or make it mandatory.

    3.Starting from kindergarten start offering only healthy low calorie food at public schools.Yeah there are kids who bring their own lunch to school, but a lot of kids are on the free or reduced price lunch program they will eat the food if they are hungry enough and if the food actually taste good.

    4.Ban unhealthy food from public school vending machines.

    5.Ban the following from food stamp and welfare purchases cookies,candies, cakes, sugary snacks, energy drinks and other junk food. As tax payers we most certainly have the right to demand that those asking for our help not waste the money we give them on junk food.
    Many died young. Just saying.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #63
    Professor
    00timh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Last Seen
    01-24-14 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    But if you support that freedom, shouldn't you take responsibility for the cost of it?

    A nation has taxpayers. If you support a person's activity to eat bad foods resulting in obesity and burgeoning medical costs, those costs will fall on the taxpayers.
    Why do we feel by doing nothing that that would mean we support such actions. Not paying or restricting does not equal supporting. There are millions who are alcoholics, yet we have bars, liquor stores, its served in restaurants... Doesn't mean that we support the alcoholics. they make their choices on how to live. Maybe they can't handle the booze as well as those who are not alcoholics, but we are not making them drink it either. They do not have to.

    Why should I or anyone else be made to pay higher taxes for another persons problems, or be forced to pay a sin tax price on something because THEY choose not to moderate the food they eat. I say we should do nothing in terms of taxes, or regulations. Let people live as they want to and make the choices and deal with the consequences of those choices. Perhaps if they did have to deal with the consequences, their choices would be wiser because society isn't taking care of them. The liberal approach to obesity is enabling even though they do not see it that way.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by 00timh View Post
    The only reason why society is bearing the costs of obesity is because of how messed up our health care system is. Individual responsibility means simply that. The individual should bear the costs of what they do to themselves.

    I should not have to pay higher taxes for them and their problems. I should also not have to pay higher prices for food that is not a problem for me because they choose to sit around and do nothing or do not practice moderation.
    Society does not pay solely in terms of taxes or food prices. It pays in terms of higher insurance premiums and in terms obese people's lower work productivity. No matter how you swing it, a society wide problem with obesity affects the totality of society so you're going to bear the costs of that problem no matter what.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by 00timh View Post
    Why should I or anyone else be made to pay higher taxes for another persons problems, or be forced to pay a sin tax price on something because THEY choose not to moderate the food they eat.
    You're going to pay regardless. You're either going to pay to eliminate the problem or sustain it. It's your choice.

  6. #66
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    But if you support that freedom, shouldn't you take responsibility for the cost of it?

    A nation has taxpayers. If you support a person's activity to eat bad foods resulting in obesity and burgeoning medical costs, those costs will fall on the taxpayers.
    I don't support the activity, but I am not in favor of regulating what a person does to their own body. I'm not disagreeing with you on the cost because our tax system is flawed. I am in favor of a tax overhaul and major reforms.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    After reading this comment, consider yourself made aware.
    K, how so then?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah....I know. But at least the rest of us can draw some entertainment value from it.
    Which accomplishes what?

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    K, how so then?
    You advocated humiliating overweight people. Since that neither solves the problem nor exists for anything other than your own amusement, it's a stupid idea.

  10. #70
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I'm not adept at insurance, but I was more or less asking Cephus what we should do, and if we should cut back anywhere if need be. Insurance costs are already too high imo, so maybe sin taxes and regulation would be better. Insurance is already a seeming nightmare, and a lot of people unable to pay for it will probably go on eating their bad food while being a burden on healthcare costs in the future, for serious things that require hospital care/treatment.
    Insurance costs are high and rising fast because we the sheeple ask for that. Do you expect your auto insurance to cover oil changes, worn out tires or brake pads? Do you expect your homeowners insurance to cover changing light bulbs, fixing/replacing your clothes dryer or keeping the lawn maintained? Of course not, you say, those are normal expected expenses! Yet many expect to use their "health" (it should be called medical care) insurance for the simple cleaning, stitching and dressing of a wound, a minor infection and fever or even an annual check-up. That is nonsense, and responsible for massive amounts of paperwork, driving up the costs for all.

    Insurance is designed for the rare, unexpected and expensive events ONLY; that is why people rarely use their auto or homeowners policy protections, yet many of these same folks use their medical care insurance all of the time, perhaps multiple times in a month, certainly more than once every year.

    A simple "catastrophic" medical care (not "health", that is free) insurance policy with the highest deductable that you can afford, has a very much lower premium and usually a higher annual benefit limit too. Get one and you will be amazed how much you save.

    We are tricked into working for lower wages so that our employer can 'buy us' expensive "all inclusive" nonsense medical care insurance policies as "benefits" that we feel compeled to use as much as possible, after all it is nearly "free", save for a minor co-pay (not much of a disencentive not to go to the doctor for every little thing). We act like morons and then wonder why it is SO expensive.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •