View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The will power requried to lose weight is largely exceptional. We're not all exceptional in this category. For many the battle is like being a drug addict who has to take some of the drug every day. The overall problem, as StillBallin75 suggests involves more than willpower.
    I think you are simply making excuses for being a fat ass. Trying to blame your personal faults on evil corporations.
    Last edited by Muhammed; 05-29-12 at 06:30 PM.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is why it should be OK to mock people. Fatties are fat and you can make comments about it. I don't know if it will solve the problem, but maybe it will shame them into a diet. I take the same line with stupid people. We shouldn't let them sit there wallowing in their own stupidity. Stupid people should be made aware that they are stupid so that they can take steps to correct it.
    After reading this comment, consider yourself made aware.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    I really want to know what a conservative taxpayer thinks about this:

    If you support this unhealthy freedom, are you going to support the costs of this freedom through your taxes?

  4. #34
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is why it should be OK to mock people. Fatties are fat and you can make comments about it. I don't know if it will solve the problem, but maybe it will shame them into a diet. I take the same line with stupid people. We shouldn't let them sit there wallowing in their own stupidity. Stupid people should be made aware that they are stupid so that they can take steps to correct it.
    We already make fun of fat people. Rosie O'Donnell didn't get gastric bypass for fun.

    It's other countries where fat people tend to be praised because they are seen as privileged and endowed and well-off.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 05-29-12 at 06:35 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #35
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    I think you are simply making excuses for being a fat ass. Trying to blame your personal faults on evil corporations.
    For the record, I once weighted over 350 lbs. I lost weight and got down to 180 lbs. I currently weight 200 lbs. I run ten miles per day. I eat only 2000 calories a day. No sugar. No sweets. I help work with those overweight a couple of times a month, providing an example. I know something about what I speak of here. Can you do what I do?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah....I know. But at least the rest of us can draw some entertainment value from it.
    Maybe. Maybe.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #37
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Perhaps more of those communities need to manifest, quickly, if that's make make any noticeable dent in this problem.

    Are you alright with paying more taxes in order to cover the costs of burgeoning healthcare costs that are directly related to obesity?

    Do you think taxes should increase to compensate for the cost of the freedom you're supporting?
    I find the primary cause of growing healthcare cost is related to bureaucracy. Yes, obesity does contribute to rising healthcare. Am I alright with paying more for it? Well, it is a tough question to answer. My stance is less government influence and trying to drive down taxes as much as possible. You have to start with a bit less government involved in healthcare. People say I put too much trust in a free market system, but I truly believe in allowing the people to decide rather then a centralized government. Short answer is No, but you have to understand where I'm coming from on it.

    I am willing to pay more taxes only to try and drive down this massive deficit we have on our hands. If we don't fully liquidate the debt, then yes I am willing to pay more to get it down. Again, to fully support an absolute free society you got to change a lot more then certain tax items.

    Obesity is not necessarily the result of individual choices. This is one of those examples where I think libertarians attribute too much cause/effect to individual agency. The truth is, even in the absence of government coercion, we're not really as free as we prefer to think we are. If it's not the government, there are other forces that are constantly influencing your behavior whether you're aware of it or not, or whether you like it or not.
    Yes, I understand obesity isn't necessarily a choice. I understand complications with thyroid cancer and simple genetics provide a case as well. We're free to make choices, but I understand fully about covert coercion. Our behavior is generally influenced by pop culture rather then government regulation. I get that, but the problem is actually having to spend money (that we don't have) to coerce behavior.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  8. #38
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I really want to know what a conservative taxpayer thinks about this:

    If you support this unhealthy freedom, are you going to support the costs of this freedom through your taxes?
    No, I'm not going to pay. Insurance, whether it's auto or medical, should be priced based on a greater number of variables. I've argued in another thread that driving tests should be more frequent, more challenging, and scored to more accurately determine the risk factor of each individual's driving. Similarly, physical fitness should be a major factor in health insurance prices. This gives people the right to be fat but the incentive not to.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    I find the primary cause of growing healthcare cost is related to bureaucracy. Yes, obesity does contribute to rising healthcare. Am I alright with paying more for it? Well, it is a tough question to answer. My stance is less government influence and trying to drive down taxes as much as possible. You have to start with a bit less government involved in healthcare. People say I put too much trust in a free market system, but I truly believe in allowing the people to decide rather then a centralized government. Short answer is No, but you have to understand where I'm coming from on it.

    I am willing to pay more taxes only to try and drive down this massive deficit we have on our hands. If we don't fully liquidate the debt, then yes I am willing to pay more to get it down. Again, to fully support an absolute free society you got to change a lot more then certain tax items.
    Indeed it's a tough and direct question.

    Are you willing to pay taxes to support this unhealthy freedom [NOT the massive deficit] that you defend? If you're willing to support people's rights to slowly kill themselves, then you should also be responsible and support paying for the costs of that unhealthy freedom, imo.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    No, I'm not going to pay. Insurance, whether it's auto or medical, should be priced based on a greater number of variables. I've argued in another thread that driving tests should be more frequent, more challenging, and scored to more accurately determine the risk factor of each individual's driving. Similarly, physical fitness should be a major factor in health insurance prices. This gives people the right to be fat but the incentive not to.
    You don't support paying for their unhealthy freedom. Do you support these people's freedoms to make poor food choices while undoubtedly becoming obese from it? If you support the bad freedom, you should also support the costs of that freedom you support through your taxes. You can't prop up a fattie's right to feed and then vacate the area when that fattie's obesity drives up medical costs.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    For the record, I once weighted over 350 lbs. I lost weight and got down to 180 lbs. I currently weight 200 lbs. I run ten miles per day. I eat only 2000 calories a day. No sugar. No sweets. I help work with those overweight a couple of times a month, providing an example. I know something about what I speak of here. Can you do what I do?
    Could I run ten miles a day? Absolutely. I already eat no sugar, I'm diabetic. Unfortunately, the people you work with, the people who apparently need an example, are neither ready, willing or able to do what you do. Maybe you should get them to exercise and eat no sugar. After all, with very few exceptions, it's entirely their fault that they are the way they are.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •