View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #311
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Why not just tax people based on body fat percentage?
    Now there is an idea. Don't bother with the periphery issues go at the center of the issue. If I was an authoritarian instead of a libertarian I would approve this message. (If I was an authoritarian I would still be a budget conscience authoritarian. I would make it so that the people would have to pay for the proof and filing of their body fat percentage just like our government makes us file and prove income and other taxes.)
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #312
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I should also mention that there are other, better, alternatives to banning things. Such as promoting exercise for obese people by offering free or reduced priced programs that help them lose weight.
    Nothing is free. Someone is paying for those "free" classes.

    Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    Hail to the King baby!

  3. #313
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    There are always exceptions to every rule. That even applies to the Rights in the Bill of Rights. Besides, there is a clear difference between banning someone from eating something and enforcing a truancy law that makes a kid that voluntarily signed up for school attend. On the other hand no one wants to get sick and use medical services.



    Your taxes means just as much as someone who doesn't support bans on certain foods. Your taxes means just as much as the fat persons taxes. So in the over all picture, no, your taxes don't mean squat.

    And they do live with it. You don't. You don't even have a say as to where your taxes are spent.
    Actually, I do have a say since I'm a tax paying voter. It's my responsibility as an American to make my opinion known when I oppose, or even support a political issue that effects the population as a whole. Maybe I lose, maybe I win, it's a hell of a lot better than silent complacency, which is just a nice term for cowardice. That's something I will not do, and you telling me I don't have a say, or a choice only fuels that fire. I don't give a damn what they live with, because they inflicted that on themselves. Your little appeal to emotion won't work on me, because I lack empathy for those who consciously choose to destroy their own lives.

    They could get on a treadmill for an hour every day, or taking a walk around the block, and cut down on the quantities and calories they eat. They could take personal accountability, and take it upon themselves to fix their own mistakes. But that's too hard, so money that could go to underfunded medical centers, and police departments, fixing up run down neighborhoods, fixing up schools, expanding colleges, helping small business owners, or hell, it could even just not be spent, and go towards or multi-trillion dollar deficit. But no, instead we get news reports that are supposed to make us feel sad enough to give them a pat on the back, and a free ride at the expense of people who need the medical care a hell of a lot more than they do. People with real disabilities, such as missing limbs, MS, leukemia, Parkinson's, etc. I have no sympathy for the obese, not one tiny fraction of a bit.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    The people who eat unhealthily are the ones responsible for their consequences of doing so.
    Totally agree. We are all grown ups. We are all responsible for our own selves. We are all responsible for what we eat.

    If you want a pet, get a hermit crab. Other grown ups are not your pets.

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I gotta ask these two questions.

    Do people have the right to eat? Yes or no?
    Yup.
    Do people have the right to choose so long as they do not infringe on other peoples rights? Yes or no?
    Yup.

    That is all.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I should also mention that there are other, better, alternatives to banning things. Such as promoting exercise for obese people by offering free or reduced priced programs that help them lose weight.
    Or minding your own fvcking business.

  7. #317
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The BMI is a load of ****. At 175lbs I'll have a six pack but my BMI is just inside the "overweight" category. Body fat percentage would be a far better measure.
    Um, I sure everyone is aware that the BMI was instituted back during the 1960s as a sort of bench mark for physical fitness to determine whether a possible inductee in the military is ready and whether the country has a problem with the inductees as a whole. I do not know how much of the establishment of the BMI standards are all that scientifically based or not. I think it was established so that the inductees would have as little fat on them as possible so that they can carry around 60+ pounds of equipment for a dozen miles or so in a day.

    My suspicions are that the standards are on the lean side somewhat. And of course the BMI measures fat from the bodies limbs and surface fat on the abdomen, the 'bad' fat that exists around the intestines do not come into it and is the type that causes type 2 diabetes.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  8. #318
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Nothing is free. Someone is paying for those "free" classes.

    Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    True. But again, whats better? Banning things and limiting everyone? Or actually trying to help the ones that need it?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #319
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post

    Freedom does not have a tax. If it has a user tax then it is not freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Says who. . . . .


    Freedom is the exercise of ones rights. "Rights" that come with user fees or taxes are not rights but privileges.

    Without the ability to exercise ones rights one is not free and doesn't have freedom. If one doesn't have the right to eat what one wants without taxes or user fees than that is not a right.

    I was responding to a statement made by Wake:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If you support this freedom, will you support paying for the cost of this freedom through your taxes?
    As you can see he was making a statement he used the word freedom and implied it had to be paid for in taxes (money).

    The only thing that we need to pay for freedom is due diligennce.


    In responce to your question WHO says this i simply point to the 10th admendment of the US Constitution. The federal government has no role in this and as far as I am concered the state goverments would have no role either since they have intrests for this either.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  10. #320
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Actually, I do have a say since I'm a tax paying voter. It's my responsibility as an American to make my opinion known when I oppose, or even support a political issue that effects the population as a whole. Maybe I lose, maybe I win, it's a hell of a lot better than silent complacency, which is just a nice term for cowardice. That's something I will not do, and you telling me I don't have a say, or a choice only fuels that fire. I don't give a damn what they live with, because they inflicted that on themselves. Your little appeal to emotion won't work on me, because I lack empathy for those who consciously choose to destroy their own lives.
    You say that you lack empathy for those that choose to destroy their lives. Ok. What about those that don't choose to destroy their lives?

    And you may have a responsibility as an American to make your opinion known and oppose or support a political issue. But you don't have a responsibility or a right to tell people what they can put in their own mouths.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    They could get on a treadmill for an hour every day, or taking a walk around the block, and cut down on the quantities and calories they eat. They could take personal accountability, and take it upon themselves to fix their own mistakes. But that's too hard, so money that could go to underfunded medical centers, and police departments, fixing up run down neighborhoods, fixing up schools, expanding colleges, helping small business owners, or hell, it could even just not be spent, and go towards or multi-trillion dollar deficit. But no, instead we get news reports that are supposed to make us feel sad enough to give them a pat on the back, and a free ride at the expense of people who need the medical care a hell of a lot more than they do. People with real disabilities, such as missing limbs, MS, leukemia, Parkinson's, etc. I have no sympathy for the obese, not one tiny fraction of a bit.
    If our government decides to build another nuclear bomb do you think that you have a say in that? I could go through a list of things that you may not support just as easy as you went through a list of things that are generally supported. The point though is that you ultimately do not have a say in where any of that tax money goes to. You may think that you do, but you don't. The only real reason that any politician even looks at obesity is because they see dollar signs in front of their eyes. If they actually cared about the problem then they would do what is right instead of what is convienent. You know this, and I know this. Lets not kid ourselves about this.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •