View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    1) Once I've garnered enough knowledge on the issue would I start trying to implement rough standards.
    2) I would need to know exactly what possible violations would be had. If there is a way for it to work, then it will be attempted.
    3) No. It may work, it may not. That hasn't stopped people in the past from legislating new concepts.
    4) Did I say that?
    1. Mhm.
    2. I think it's ridiculous to invade people's private lives and make them pay for being overweight and in this country, such a measure would (thankfully), never pass.
    3. Just because other people do it doesn't make it a good idea. Advocating policies that don't have any evidence to back them is one of the main reasons that our education system among other things is failing.
    4. You said, "Meaning that people who support an unhealthy right like obesity should also take responsiblity and pay for the medical costs of the right they support through taxes. In addition to that, people who don't support the right to be obese shouldn't have to pay for the medical costs of obesity through their taxes."
    If you don't support a right, then you are either telling people that they shouldn't or don't have the right to be obese. In either case, the government can't punish or reward people based on their support or lack of support for "obesity." Aside from the fact that "the right to obesity" isn't an actual right, support for that imaginary right isn't possible to measure.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. Mhm.
    2. I think it's ridiculous to invade people's private lives and make them pay for being overweight and in this country, such a measure would (thankfully), never pass.
    3. Just because other people do it doesn't make it a good idea. Advocating policies that don't have any evidence to back them is one of the main reasons that our education system among other things is failing.
    4. You said, "Meaning that people who support an unhealthy right like obesity should also take responsiblity and pay for the medical costs of the right they support through taxes. In addition to that, people who don't support the right to be obese shouldn't have to pay for the medical costs of obesity through their taxes."
    If you don't support a right, then you are either telling people that they shouldn't or don't have the right to be obese. In either case, the government can't punish or reward people based on their support or lack of support for "obesity." Aside from the fact that "the right to obesity" isn't an actual right, support for that imaginary right isn't possible to measure.
    2) It may pass. We already have other sorts of regulations and sin taxes, iirc. All we need is the problem to grow, people to take notice and understand, and time.
    3) There may be proof that it would work. Obviously I'm no lawman so I don't have that experience. Taxation for obesity may exist in other nations, or use of BMI.
    4) The right to feed to the point of obesity. If you advocate that, then you should also pay higher taxes to cover the medical costs associated with prolonged obesity.

  3. #273
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I still don't see it as faith. I think we work to educate and motivate. Not sure where the faith part comes into it.

    The faith comes into it with the word I bolded.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #274
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The faith comes into it with the word I bolded.
    Well, I know there is more than me working on issues. Legislators do get more phone calls and emails than from just me, so I think the word we is a fact and not a matter of faith.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #275
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I didn't misrepresent anything. Maybe you think I did, but that thought seems ridiculous since I know I did not and since I was careful to use the exact "specific context" that you described to me. Nonetheless, it's pretty clear that it's not my actual argument you had problem with, but just the notion that someone would question you on yours.
    The only thing that's pretty clear is that you don't even understand the argument you are pretending to disagree with (You can't disagree with that which you don't understand).

    You did misrepresent my argument, though. It just seems that you are incapable of recognizing that you did.

    So you should probably just grow up because getting this pissy and irrational over someone disagreeing with you about something as minute as the word "faith" is really dumb and it makes debating more complicated than it has to be.
    I'm not getting pissy. I'm a dick. I don't need to be pissy in order to be a dick. I'm simply consistent about when I choose to let my dick side loose. When people earn that treatment, they receive it.


    That's correct.
    I know. Which is why you were simply flat out wrong to pretend that you could "correct" me for already using the word correctly.


    However, you can have proof that of things that have occurred.
    Of course. That doesn't do **** to provide proof about future performance, of course, but fantastic job of stating that which needn't be stated.

    See, I'm not being pissy, I'm just being a dick. And arrogant dick.

    And if you have proof that legislators, specifically or in general, have been successful at their jobs in the past then that is means you have regular belief instead of faith in their ability to do their jobs well in the future.
    False. You would be having faith in their continued competence. That faith would be based on evidence and inductive reasoning, but past output does not guarantee future performance.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 05-31-12 at 02:58 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #276
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, I know there is more than me working on issues. Legislators do get more phone calls and emails than from just me, so I think the word we is a fact and not a matter of faith.
    The key is getting enough people on board for that particular issue to make a difference. It's not like all of those phone calls and emails are about the same thing or that you are sending those phone calls and emails to every legislator.

    If 500 people send one congressional rep emails about 500 different things, nothing will ever come of it.

    Everyone has to be on the same page, about the same issues, and make their voices heard by every legislator for a single issue like the one we are discussing to be dealt with effectively.

    That requires faith in others to take up the cause and put forth the effort along with you.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not sure we're agreed what this was about. I told everyone I once weighted in excess of 350 lbs. At that time not only did I work every day, play racketball, and was politically active, I ran four miles a day and lifted weights. Exactly what part was me not getting off my ass?
    You can't even spell racquetball, let alone attempt to play it, fatass.

  8. #278
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Taxing to acco has not put much of a dent in smoking. Taxing Micky D's will no make much of a dent either.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  9. #279
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    You can't even spell racquetball, let alone attempt to play it, fatass.


    Is this your best debate tactic?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The only thing that's pretty clear is that you don't even understand the argument you are pretending to disagree with (You can't disagree with that which you don't understand).

    You did misrepresent my argument, though. It just seems that you are incapable of recognizing that you did.

    I'm not getting pissy. I'm a dick. I don't need to be pissy in order to be a dick. I'm simply consistent about when I choose to let my dick side loose. When people earn that treatment, they receive it.

    I know. Which is why you were simply flat out wrong to pretend that you could "correct" me for already using the word correctly.


    Of course. That doesn't do **** to provide proof about future performance, of course, but fantastic job of stating that which needn't be stated.

    See, I'm not being pissy, I'm just being a dick. And arrogant dick.

    False. You would be having faith in their continued competence. That faith would be based on evidence and inductive reasoning, but past output does not guarantee future performance.
    Meh. I explained to you why you're wrong. You're upset that you were questioned and because you're upset, you decided to make this personal. When people do that in response to people who are merely disagreeing them, it signals insecurity with their argument. Good luck with that, it's not a good look.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 06-01-12 at 01:20 PM.

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •