View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #201
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Having faith in others to do their work in diligence is faith. Unless this can be achieved by a single person, you are espousing faith.
    It depends on which definition you're using. If you're using "confidence in another person's ability", then yes, that's a literal definition of faith. If you're using "belief not based on proof," then having confidence in legislators is not necessarily faith since that confidence can be based on proof.

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    It boggles my mind that someone could look at an overweight person and instead of thinking, "Hey that person should take some responsibility for their life and lose some weight," they think, "Man, we should have some government intervention for that fat person. Perhaps a sin tax?" So I should pay more for a delicious sugary treat because the guy next to me can't stop wolfing them down for dinner? It's a ridiculous argument to make. Now, should that person pay more for their health care? Heck yes, that's why bad drivers pay more for car insurance. Should we as a society be doing more to curb obesity? Yes, try encouraging your kids to go outside and play, not sit around the house all the time. Start a community fit club, donate time to your local school kids and get them to exercise, but for the love of all that is holy, keep the damn government out of it!
    It boggles my mind that people think personal responsibility is so simple. It also boggles my mind that people think obesity is a problem that only affects the individual.

    On the first point, people learn personal responsibility and are taught, directly or indirectly, the tools required to use it. Consequently, anyone who thinks that they got to where they are just because they have personal responsibility and others don't is lying to themselves and not giving credit to whoever or whatever gave them the tools to take care of themselves. The fact is that not everybody was given the tools be personally responsible.

    On the second point, you could argue, "So what, still not my problem," which I think is a fair argument when the problem just affects the individual. However, when the problem starts to cost society and there are research-backed solutions to the problem, then I think arguing "So what, not my problem" is both inaccurate and irrational.

  3. #203
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    It will take education. Few people know just how dangerous and bad for your health fast foods such as McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc are.

  4. #204
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It depends on which definition you're using. If you're using "confidence in another person's ability", then yes, that's a literal definition of faith. If you're using "belief not based on proof," then having confidence in legislators is not necessarily faith since that confidence can be based on proof.
    whether or not there is proof depends entirely on what the legislators are doing. In this case, both definitions apply.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    whether or not there is proof depends entirely on what the legislators are doing. In this case, both definitions apply.
    No, it doesn't necessarily. Confidence in a legislator's ability to be fair with the law may be based on knowledge of their past behavior which may be used as proof. Consequently, the latter definition of faith as "belief without proof" does not apply.

  6. #206
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    This is what I as a Libertarian worry about everyday. The government dictating what the hell I can put in my body. If my neighbor dies of a heart attack because of clogged arteries, let me tell you he was probably happy before he died because he was eating what he wanted too.

    Point being... the government has absolutely no right and/or legal basis to tell me what I can or cannot put in my mouth. I don't give a damn what statistics anyone throws at me, or what facts anyone presents, it is my fundamental right to choose what I consume.

  7. #207
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    This is what I as a Libertarian worry about everyday. The government dictating what the hell I can put in my body. If my neighbor dies of a heart attack because of clogged arteries, let me tell you he was probably happy before he died because he was eating what he wanted too.

    Point being... the government has absolutely no right and/or legal basis to tell me what I can or cannot put in my mouth. I don't give a damn what statistics anyone throws at me, or what facts anyone presents, it is my fundamental right to choose what I consume.
    Well that settles that.

  8. #208
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    No, it doesn't necessarily. Confidence in a legislator's ability to be fair with the law may be based on knowledge of their past behavior which may be used as proof. Consequently, the latter definition of faith as "belief without proof" does not apply.
    First, it's not singular, it's plural. As in "the legislators'" as opposed to "a legislator". All of the legislators are involved in the passing of bills.


    Second: We're talking about a very specific situation: revenue raised from sin taxes going primarily towards programs dealing with the effects of the products receiving those taxes. In that instance, the legislators (plural) have proven themselves incompetent time and time again.

    Thus, it is an exercise in faith to assume that this time would be different since it would be a belief without proof.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #209
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It boggles my mind that people think personal responsibility is so simple. It also boggles my mind that people think obesity is a problem that only affects the individual.

    On the first point, people learn personal responsibility and are taught, directly or indirectly, the tools required to use it. Consequently, anyone who thinks that they got to where they are just because they have personal responsibility and others don't is lying to themselves and not giving credit to whoever or whatever gave them the tools to take care of themselves. The fact is that not everybody was given the tools be personally responsible.

    On the second point, you could argue, "So what, still not my problem," which I think is a fair argument when the problem just affects the individual. However, when the problem starts to cost society and there are research-backed solutions to the problem, then I think arguing "So what, not my problem" is both inaccurate and irrational.
    While I would agree that it isn't just an individuals problem, I don't agree that we as a society should be forced by the government to pay for it. There are other solutions other than dipping into my pocket book.
    Hail to the King baby!

  10. #210
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    First, it's not singular, it's plural. As in "the legislators'" as opposed to "a legislator". All of the legislators are involved in the passing of bills.
    My comment is accurate in both cases because it's based on a definition of faith not on the number of objects one has confidence in.

    Second: We're talking about a very specific situation: revenue raised from sin taxes going primarily towards programs dealing with the effects of the products receiving those taxes. In that instance, the legislators (plural) have proven themselves incompetent time and time again.

    Thus, it is an exercise in faith to assume that this time would be different since it would be a belief without proof.
    It depends on the legislator(s) in question and what the basis of one's evaluation of them is. First, you assume that the only means of evaluating legislators in their past record of dealing with this specific situation. That's not the case. One can use legislators' general history as well in addition to whatever research they base their proposals on. Second, your statement is based on the premise that legislators remain the same as a group and as individuals. This is not true either. Legislators are different from state to state and from year to year. Furthermore, individuals change meaning that their records are not the only basis on which to evaluate them.

    The point is that arguing that trusting legislators is faith is not necessarily true. As an absolute statement, it is false.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •