View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Wait. Hold on a sec.

    If we can sin tax nicotine and alcohol, why not also tax truly unhealthy pre-made foods like doughnuts?

  2. #162
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So what? Point is to lower the consumption of the bad foodstuffs which will eventually lead to a less obese population over all. Sure it hits non obese people, and so what? They most likely dont eat the bad foodstuffs any ways in the amounts of the obese.. just as non-alcoholics dont drink the same amounts as alcoholics.
    The extra taxes on certain foods won't do anything to curb obesity, just like the extra taxes on alcohol don't do anything to curb alcoholism.

    The example you provided of something that gets an extra tax is also evidence that the primary premise for increasing the tax is false.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #163
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If we can sin tax nicotine and alcohol, why not also tax truly unhealthy pre-made foods like doughnuts?
    We can. And if our goal is to exploit the addicted for extra tax revenue, it's a great idea.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Wait. Hold on a sec.

    If we can sin tax nicotine and alcohol, why not also tax truly unhealthy pre-made foods like doughnuts?
    God, I love dounuts. Haven't had one in years, but I do love donuts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #165
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Dangerous as hell. Why stop at obese? Why not smokers, people with cancer in the family, people who drink alcohol... I mean any at all. How about people who had unprotected sex 20 years ago? Or left handed because they have a higher risk of some illness? Redheads because they have a higher risk of skin cancer? Where do you draw the line, and you know very well that if the insurance companies get an inch then they take a mile if they can get away with it.
    Hold on there skippy. As you said, if GIVEN an inch, they make take a mile. We allow this practice for auto insurance now, yet limit the factors to an INCH, and refuse to yield them the MILE. They may RIGHTLY use age, gender, zip code, marital status and past driving history to set rates, but they may NOT use race, hair color, weight or familiy history to set rates. I simply suggested that the gov't allow obesity to be used, not that I would limit any other restrictions on basing rates to be lifted.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 05-30-12 at 01:40 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #166
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    We can. And if our goal is to exploit the addicted for extra tax revenue, it's a great idea.
    That's one way to look at it. Another would be to pay for the care and preventive measures we could use to get him off dounuts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #167
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's one way to look at it. Another would be to pay for the care and preventive measures we could use to get him off dounuts.
    If that's what the money went to, sure. But that's never what the money goes to. It goes to a bunch of pointless bull****.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If that's what the money went to, sure. But that's never what the money goes to. It goes to a bunch of pointless bull****.
    Which is why I said that would be the only way I'd support it. I do believe it is possible to limit the money use to just that issue. Whether we will or not is largely up to how much we keep the pressure on elected officials to do just that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #169
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Which is why I said that would be the only way I'd support it.
    I missed where you said it was the only way you would support it. Where did you say it, exactly, because you didn't say it in the post I responded to?

    I do believe it is possible to limit the money use to just that issue. Whether we will or not is largely up to how much we keep the pressure on elected officials to do just that.
    I don't have any faith in that ever happening.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #170
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Wait. Hold on a sec.

    If we can sin tax nicotine and alcohol, why not also tax truly unhealthy pre-made foods like doughnuts?
    This is where things get cloudy for me. Sin tax on nicotine, yet subsidies for tobacco farmers. But that's a different argument. There is already tariffs placed on natural sugar which forces companies to by HFCS, which has been shown to be extremely unhealthy and has been a big part of the rising obesity rates. So, the government makes is easier for companies to make products that are more unhealthy for us, just so they can put a sin tax on said products? Sounds like a lot of b.s. just to squeeze some more money out of me.
    Hail to the King baby!

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •