View Poll Results: What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • We do nothing. People have the right to live unhealthily.

    48 66.67%
  • Use sin taxes.

    4 5.56%
  • Use regulations.

    1 1.39%
  • Combinations of methods to fight the Obesity Epidemic.

    17 23.61%
  • I don't know.

    2 2.78%
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 372

Thread: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

  1. #101
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I grew up in a poor family in the 60's, and we could afford medical care when we needed it. We didn't seek it when it wasn't necessary. We paid out of pocket, and it was doable, even for the poor.
    Exactly. The routine cleaning, stitching and dressing for a wound would cost maybe $50, if not for massive amounts of insurance claims paperwork and payment delay that drive it up to $100. More time spent on actual medical care and less on clerical nonsense and billing would lower that cost a lot. I use a local clinic for 90% of my care and get a cash discount of about half what the insurance company ends up paying for the same lab procedure every month. I get a pharmacy cash discount and get my medications for 90 days at a time, instead of the insurance morons 30 day supply limit. Rules (that vary with many different insurance 'plans') and paperwork drive up the costs a lot, yet we seem to get more, not less of it with every gov't 'reform'.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 05-29-12 at 11:13 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #102
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I use a local clinic for 90% of my care and get a cash discount of about half what the insurance company ends up paying for the same lab procedure every month. I get a pharmacy cash discount and get my medications for 90 days at a time, instead of the insurance morons 30 day supply limit. Rules (that vary with many different insurance 'plans' and paperwork drive up the costs a lot, yet we seem to get more, not less of it with every gov't 'reform'.
    A couple of years ago, I needed to see a doctor for a minor, but common infection, and I have insurance. Since I rarely go to a doctor, I don't have a primary care physician, and I didn't want to go to the ER where I work, because there would have been many unnecessary expenses, and it would have ended up costing much more than it's worth, so I went to a local minor emergency clinic. In and out of the door in 15 minutes, script that cost $4, for $70 total cost. They don't take insurance of any kind. It's a cash only business, and I was elated to pay 70 dollars just for the convenience and the speed with which I got out of there.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #103
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-06-13 @ 02:59 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    272

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    People who place the blame squarely on the obese are ignoring some important factors, like the garbage they put in food at the super market thanks to subsidies for HFCS, poverty ($ menu), lack of free time to exercise. Yeah, we could emphasis healthy living to some extent at earlier ages. I saw a food pyramid like once in school, and PE was a total joke, but as far as regulations I'm more in favor of banning unhealthy crap that goes into the food. Seriously HFCS is everywhere, even in bread and yeah, it causes obesity. If you read the ingredients on the back, usually it's like a paragraph long. I've also heard of shady methods like taking tomatoes out of the ground when they're still green and coloring them red, but I don't know if that's true or not.

    When you start talking about forcing people to exercise, that is never going to happen. People in the Midwest at least, I can assure you they'd rather take a bullet than work out. The one thing politicians can always count on to keep the masses in their place is when they're sitting on their asses watching TV all day.

  4. #104
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Ive always kinda figured natural selection would take care of the obesity epidemic.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I grew up in a poor family in the 60's, and we could afford medical care when we needed it. We didn't seek it when it wasn't necessary. We paid out of pocket, and it was doable, even for the poor.
    It isn't the 60's. I grew up then as well. Know about those clinics you mentioned as well. And I tell you, what I said is correct.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Bartering isn't so well doable anymore, though I would see no wrong with it if you could work it out. But as medical technology advances, the aggregate cost is of course going to go up. It's part and parcel with having an advanced society. This **** takes money. But if you like all the perks of technology, you gotta pay for the infrastructure to support it. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Technology means educated people, more and more people will have to go to college to support it. It means paying for the research that will ultimately yield new tech, and this can no longer be done by private enterprise alone (particularly base research). It means paying for the engineers, it means certain social programs which can benefit us all through multiple phenomenon. There are multiple ways in which you can pay for it. You can use our current method of funding healthcare, the ass backwards way, which leaves you paying the most for and having the least access to healthcare. But IMO that seems rather stupid. However, in the end it must be paid for. If you like that cell phone, then you're gonna have to pay. And that don't just mean paying Verizon a few hundred bucks for a phone. You have to support everything that goes into making it. The science didn't just poof into existence, the tech didn't develop itself. You have to pay for it all. Cost of technology.

    When it comes to healthcare, I think the proper solution probably lies in some mixture of State and Private business. Not so much like Obamacare, since that's exactly the opposite of what you want to do (and one reason to distrust government in total in terms of them actually coming up with and agreeing to an intelligent solution. Our government may produce a lot of stuff, but intelligence ain't one of them).
    Depending on how you mean that mix, I don't think we disagree. The most objectionable part of the recent reform came a rejection of more reasonable options. The doctors I speak to suggest of a two teired system in which you have a single payer for adequate basic health care, and those who want more and can afford it pay for more. This seems reasonable to me. Already much R&D goes through the government at research hosptials (government supported). There is really no reason to stop this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #107
    User NameGoesHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-03-12 @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    85

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    This has become a generational issue now. Many obese parents have obese kids. Why? Because they've conditioned their kids to eat that way.

    Its caused by cheap good tasting food that's easier and quicker to access and if you add in the lack of willpower and lack of desire to learn better eating habits you end up with an obese person.

    I don't think taxes are the way to go because you penalize responsible people like me who indulge in junk food from time to time. I would like to see a switch to cheap decent tasting healthier alternatives. Stop subsidizing corn and subsidize healthier alternatives.

    We also need to do a better job at teaching kids nutrition. Most of the information that people get is outdated and many times inaccurate. Especially when it comes to weight loss. I've spent many years involved in nutrition, weight loss, and health and there is so much garbage information and outright misinformation out there it makes me sick.h
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

  8. #108
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Depending on how you mean that mix, I don't think we disagree. The most objectionable part of the recent reform came a rejection of more reasonable options. The doctors I speak to suggest of a two teired system in which you have a single payer for adequate basic health care, and those who want more and can afford it pay for more. This seems reasonable to me. Already much R&D goes through the government at research hosptials (government supported). There is really no reason to stop this.
    If we were to earnestly seek a form of nationalized health care, that is the system I've endorsed. It is the most rational one I've come across that addresses many of the problems. You could do it through regulation of the insurance industry through the government as well; but either or you're paying. May as well do it right (though that is certainly not the motto of our government). I don't trust government in the least to do something of the sort. What I expected is what we got; a give away to the insurance companies. One of the major hurdles is that we cannot coherently and intelligently discuss this issue on aggregate. It immediately turned into "OMG...SOCIALISM!!!!!" and "OMG....DEATH PANELS!!!!!!!". Right down the drain. There's a real issue here. There is a way we can intelligently use the government such that we all pay less for and have more access to healthcare. Seems to me to be win/win. But you have to be able to have the discussion and debate first without resorting to fear tactics (our government's favorite tactic).
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #109
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    If we were to earnestly seek a form of nationalized health care, that is the system I've endorsed. It is the most rational one I've come across that addresses many of the problems. You could do it through regulation of the insurance industry through the government as well; but either or you're paying. May as well do it right (though that is certainly not the motto of our government). I don't trust government in the least to do something of the sort. What I expected is what we got; a give away to the insurance companies. One of the major hurdles is that we cannot coherently and intelligently discuss this issue on aggregate. It immediately turned into "OMG...SOCIALISM!!!!!" and "OMG....DEATH PANELS!!!!!!!". Right down the drain. There's a real issue here. There is a way we can intelligently use the government such that we all pay less for and have more access to healthcare. Seems to me to be win/win. But you have to be able to have the discussion and debate first without resorting to fear tactics (our government's favorite tactic).
    I agree completely. But we all too often can't even have the discussion. Sadly.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #110
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

    The irony is that government subsidies to corn (used in high fructose corn syrup, thus lowering the price of corn syrup) and import quotas on sugar (raising the price of sugar) has led to an increase in high fructose corn syrup in all American food instead of sugar. And high fructose corn syrup is more likely to cause obesity and type II diabetes than sugar.

    Government intervention created conditions that make people more likely to get fat. So now we need government intervention to make getting fat illegal. When will people learn.

    Forcing people to be healthy is reminiscent of the Volksgemeinschaft mentality in Nazi Germany.
    Last edited by Lakryte; 05-30-12 at 12:48 AM.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •