View Poll Results: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama

    35 54.69%
  • Romney

    29 45.31%
Page 70 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 817

Thread: For Veterans and Military personnel only.[W:651]

  1. #691
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Man, I watched this happen with my own eyes. We helped stand up the Iraqi local security forces, we worked with the Awakening, we helped to provide protection for the Sheikhs and their families.... furthermore (and this is what you ignore), local forces are part of Counterinsurgency Doctrine. It's as if part of our scheme of maneuver called for artillery fire, and you later claimed that shells landing in the exact right area and time during the assault had nothing to do with the fact that our Arty was shooting rounds.

    You bought in to the "the Surge has failed" crap coming out of Democrat leadership, and once dramatic empirical improvements became undeniable, you thrashed about for a straw to grasp rather than honestly admitting your analytical line was flawed. You think Iraq was bad policy - okay. That doesn't mean that we have to lose, Boo.
    You watched it through the lense of your own bias and world view. I know you don't understand this, but many watched it, and we still have differences of opinion among those who watched it. And no one said you didn't work with the Awakening. In fact, I gave credit to the General for being smart enough to take advantage. I said, it wasn't part of the plan of the surge because it happened independent of the surge and not at our prodding. You seek to take credit where it isn't due.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #692
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That's true - people do tend to become more conservative as they age.
    In somethings. And in somethings they are less likely to see things so blindly.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #693
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I'm not one of those. I was there too. I agree with CP.
    The trouble is there were more than two of you, and more than can be found on this site. The fact, and it is a fact, the Awakening happened outside the surge. It was not our plan. CP, and perhaps you, are trying to take credit for someone else's work.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #694
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The trouble is there were more than two of you, and more than can be found on this site. The fact, and it is a fact, the Awakening happened outside the surge. It was not our plan. CP, and perhaps you, are trying to take credit for someone else's work.
    Indeed, it appears our invasion and occupation of Iraq may have just delayed the awakening in Iraq ~



    Iraqi Shias protest against government corruption

    "Tens of thousands of Iraqi Shias have marked the ninth anniversary of the US-led invasion which overthrew Saddam Hussein with a large rally in the southern city of Basra.

    Supporters of the Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr used the protest to demand better living conditions.

    They shouted slogans criticising government corruption and held electric cables to highlight power cuts.

    Meanwhile, at least three people were killed in bomb attacks east of Baghdad.

    Dozens others were injured in the bombings in Diyala province, Iraqi officials said."

    BBC News - Iraqi Shias protest against government corruption
    Last edited by Catawba; 06-13-12 at 04:14 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #695
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Indeed, it appears our invasion and occupation of Iraq may have just delayed the awakening in Iraq ~



    Iraqi Shias protest against government corruption

    "Tens of thousands of Iraqi Shias have marked the ninth anniversary of the US-led invasion which overthrew Saddam Hussein with a large rally in the southern city of Basra.

    Supporters of the Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr used the protest to demand better living conditions.

    They shouted slogans criticising government corruption and held electric cables to highlight power cuts.

    Meanwhile, at least three people were killed in bomb attacks east of Baghdad.

    Dozens others were injured in the bombings in Diyala province, Iraqi officials said."

    BBC News - Iraqi Shias protest against government corruption
    So they protested and violence ensued. What's your point?
    In Seattle, protesters dressed in black smashed windows and police pepper-sprayed some in the crowds.
    For Veterans and Military personnel only.[W:651]-occupy_oakland-300x300-jpg
    Marches turned violent in Oakland and San Francisco, where a protester was throwing what appeared to be bricks and metal rods from the roof of a building into the crowd of demonstrators, reporters, and police - injuring at least one person
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...d-seattle?lite
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #696
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    So they protested and violence ensued. What's your point?
    In Seattle, protesters dressed in black smashed windows and police pepper-sprayed some in the crowds.
    For Veterans and Military personnel only.[W:651]-occupy_oakland-300x300-jpg
    Marches turned violent in Oakland and San Francisco, where a protester was throwing what appeared to be bricks and metal rods from the roof of a building into the crowd of demonstrators, reporters, and police - injuring at least one person
    Protesters hit streets for May Day rallies; violence flares in Oakland, Seattle - U.S. News
    Those were the anarchist atheists. Like the idiots in Cleveland who plotted to blow up a bridge. http://news.infoshop.org/article.php...20524142754257

    Last edited by Rising Sun; 06-13-12 at 09:02 AM.

  7. #697
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The trouble is there were more than two of you, and more than can be found on this site. The fact, and it is a fact, the Awakening happened outside the surge. It was not our plan. CP, and perhaps you, are trying to take credit for someone else's work.
    Once again Boo, I will say that I side with CP. Further, I will show you where we executed our doctrine to the T. The surge provided the atmosphere to allow people such as Sheikh Satar to be brave enough to stand up to AQI. If not for the security provided by us, and especially the surge, he would not have been able to do that. Examples of the COIN doctrine are below. This manual was written before the surge, yet, is eerily similar to what happened in Anbar Province.
    2-2. The integration of civilian and military efforts is crucial to successful COIN operations. All efforts
    focus on supporting the local populace and HN government. Political, social, and economic programs are
    usually more valuable than conventional military operations in addressing the root causes of conflict and
    undermining an insurgency. COIN participants come from many backgrounds. They may include military
    personnel, diplomats, police, politicians, humanitarian aid workers, contractors, and local leaders. All must
    make decisions and solve problems in a complex and extremely challenging environment.

    2-3. Controlling the level of violence is a key aspect of the struggle. A high level of violence often benefits
    insurgents. The societal insecurity that violence brings discourages or precludes nonmilitary organizations,
    particularly external agencies, from helping the local populace. A more benign security environment
    allows civilian agencies greater opportunity to provide their resources and expertise. It thereby relieves
    military forces of this burden.

    2-6. COIN is fought among the populace. Counterinsurgents take upon themselves responsibility for the
    people’s well-being in all its manifestations. These include the following:
    �� Security from insurgent intimidation and coercion, as well as from nonpolitical violence and
    crime.
    �� Provision for basic economic needs.
    �� Provision of essential services, such as water, electricity, sanitation, and medical care.
    �� Sustainment of key social and cultural institutions.
    �� Other aspects that contribute to a society’s basic quality of life.
    Effective COIN programs address all aspects of the local populace’s concerns in a unified fashion. Insurgents
    succeed by maintaining turbulence and highlighting local grievances the COIN effort fails to address.
    COIN forces succeed by eliminating turbulence and helping the host nation meet the populace’s basic needs.
    http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-24.pdf
    I could keep going and going posting portions of this manual. As CP said before, the policy to go into Iraq may have been wrong (I believe it was). But that doesn't mean we should lose too. You seem to be unwilling or unable to differentiate between the two. The surge was lauded by politicians, especially Dems. What I find especially funny is the fact that then Senator Obama railed against the surge yet used one of his own no more than 2 years later.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #698
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Indeed, it appears our invasion and occupation of Iraq may have just delayed the awakening in Iraq ~



    Iraqi Shias protest against government corruption

    "Tens of thousands of Iraqi Shias have marked the ninth anniversary of the US-led invasion which overthrew Saddam Hussein with a large rally in the southern city of Basra.

    Supporters of the Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr used the protest to demand better living conditions.

    They shouted slogans criticising government corruption and held electric cables to highlight power cuts.

    Meanwhile, at least three people were killed in bomb attacks east of Baghdad.

    Dozens others were injured in the bombings in Diyala province, Iraqi officials said."

    BBC News - Iraqi Shias protest against government corruption
    More likely the invasion enabled it. With Saddam in power, any protest like this would have been met with overwhelming military response, and therefore, probably would have never occured.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #699
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The trouble is there were more than two of you, and more than can be found on this site. The fact, and it is a fact, the Awakening happened outside the surge. It was not our plan. CP, and perhaps you, are trying to take credit for someone else's work.
    I was there also, and I also agree with CP.

    Where you in Iraq, Boo?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #700
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    More likely the invasion enabled it. With Saddam in power, any protest like this would have been met with overwhelming military response, and therefore, probably would have never occured.
    Agreed. Saddam gassed the Kurds for resisting and brutally put down a post-Gulf War uprising with an estimated 180,000 casualties.
    1991 uprisings in Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 70 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •