View Poll Results: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama

    35 54.69%
  • Romney

    29 45.31%
Page 36 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 817

Thread: For Veterans and Military personnel only.[W:651]

  1. #351
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Bull crap. My husband even told while he was out that some Navy jets provided air support for them in Iraq and Afghanistan. It wasn't a lot, but it did happen. Plus, you claimed we were flying you guys in. That is not true when it comes to most carriers. We never had marines aboard my carrier but we sure flew a lot of missions into both Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Sorry swabby but I've done multiple tours in both theaters and I've never spoken to any air from the Navy. It's been all Marine or Army, depending on the AO.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #352
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Sorry swabby but I've done multiple tours in both theaters and I've never spoken to any air from the Navy. It's been all Marine or Army, depending on the AO.
    funniest thing I have ever seen: we maintained a squad at the provincial joint command center in basrah (HQ for all the branches of the iraqi military in the area and the police hq). all the company grade officers had to take turns doing 24 hour shifts there because our CO "wanted an officer there to represent him". very secure compound. 14 foot high concrete barriers all around the compound, 10 foot high hesco barriers surrounding the inner courtyard, etc.

    one day this MRAP pulls into the compound and just sits there, no one is getting out. we get a call on the radio to open the inner gate and let them drive into the courtyard. so they pull in and out piles 4 marines in full battle rattle weapons at the ready like they just got hit by an IED and set up a "perimeter" at the OK signal this navy CPT gets out and they "escort" him into the building. we all just busted out laughing because most of my guys are in T-shirts, our weapons are in a rack under the tent, a couple of my guys have their shirts off tanning and this guy comes in like he is landing at normandy. same procedure on the way out.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #353
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You seen how much damage this incompetent boob did in 3 years.............Imagine what he could do in 8 years when he does not have to worry about being reelected....
    Not near as bad as the Bush years. And I wouldn't say what you did about him. You're really over the top too often Navy.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #354
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Sorry swabby but I've done multiple tours in both theaters and I've never spoken to any air from the Navy. It's been all Marine or Army, depending on the AO.
    And my husband did a tour in each theater while in, and he said that although it was rare for Navy to fly for them, they would rather have Navy than Army or AF support. The preferred is Marines though. Don't get me wrong, he said it was not often that Navy actually supported, particularly in Afghanistan, but it did happen.

    And we were supporting something because I did one tour that had us flying for both OEF and OIF. You may not have seen them, but that doesn't mean we weren't helping. We certainly weren't sitting around, twiddling our thumbs.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #355
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,073

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Bull crap. My husband even told while he was out that some Navy jets provided air support for them in Iraq and Afghanistan. It wasn't a lot, but it did happen. Plus, you claimed we were flying you guys in. That is not true when it comes to most carriers. We never had marines aboard my carrier but we sure flew a lot of missions into both Iraq and Afghanistan.
    I've seen alot of Marine, some Army helo's, and of course a bunch of Air Force Logistics - even some CIA ISR platforms came on-line for us a couple of times. But no Navy in-theater. The only time I saw Navy Air was when I was on the MEU popping in and out of Bahrain around the Gulf - and even then we brought our own air.

    The Navy (and, to a lesser extent, the Air Force) haven't really gotten to play like the Army and Marines have over the last decade or so. That's why they are pushing the Air-Sea Battle concept - they want to be relevant and gain a protected piece of a shrinking DOD pie.

    Mind you, I think the Navy is important - more important by far than the Air Force. Maintaining a large and capable Navy is more important than maintaining a large and capable Army. But the Navy guys getting combat time are your hospital corpsman out there on the Green side, not your rocket jocks who maybe nip the corner of "hostile" airspace where there is no IADS threat before heading back to hot chow in the officers mess and air-conditioned racks with a month of tax-free pay.
    Last edited by cpwill; 06-04-12 at 02:33 AM.

  6. #356
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,073

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You might want to review how the Generals largely changed tactics without the President being fully aware. read The Gamble.
    Sure. You read The Strongest Tribe. Given that you apparently do not understand the differences between "tactics" and "strategy", I'm thinking you meant the latter. Which is still immaterial to the point - President Bush was out to win the war, and President Obama is out to win reelection. That's why Bush made unpopular decisions that supported the war effort, while Obama made decisions that crippled the war effort in order to be popular.

    The event that turend things around in Iraq was what the Iraqis did, not the surge. I know it is hard for you to wrap your mind around this, but the Awaking was the major event, and that was Iraqi born and bred. And it was Lt. Gen. Raymond T. Odierno who largely help by changing the harsher tactics and got more intel with more reasonable approaches.
    I think it's hilarious when you say crap like this. As though COIN was just about "sending more dudes". The Iraqi Awakening was part of the Surge, the turning of the populace is COIN. You are arguing that only one blade of scissors actually cuts the paper.

    Oh, and we never utilized enhanced interrogation in Iraq in the first place.

    Obama was wrong in Afghanistan, but you fail to consider what he was told. The Generals said you could give us everythign we want, and we could still fail. Think about that for a minute, to waste that much, to have nothing that could be any way assured?
    Either you are all in to win, or you leave. Obama chose neither, but to simply try to split the baby. But half measures are worse than no measures - and sending a bunch of guys to Afghanistan but then giving them an artificial pre-set withdrawal date ensures that there will be no second blade of the scissors. It ensures that every single Afghan on both sides knows that the Americans are leaving on a certain date, and all the Taliban have to do is wait until that date plus one hour.



    "The Americans have all the watches, but we have all the time."

    -Taliban IO message after President Obama's speech announcing the Surge and a Timeline
    Aug 24, 2010 President Barack Obama's July 2011 date to start withdrawing troops from Afghanistan has given a morale boost to Taliban insurgents, who believe they can wait out NATO forces, the top U.S. Marine said on Tuesday.

    ..."In some ways, we think right now it is probably giving our enemy sustenance," Conway, the Marine Corps' commandant, said of the July 2011 deadline.

    "In fact we've intercepted communications that say, 'Hey, you know, we only need to hold out for so long.'"

    Supporters of Obama's July 2011 date to start withdrawing forces from Afghanistan, conditions permitting, say it conveys a needed sense of urgency to Kabul. Afghans must quickly ramp up the size of their security forces for a gradual handover.

    But critics say the strategy backfired, sending a signal to the Taliban that the United States was preparing to wind down the war while setting unrealistic expectations among Americans about the pace of progress in Afghanistan.

    Conway, quoting one of his own commanders, told reporters: "We can either lose fast or win slow."...
    Quote Originally Posted by General Douglas MacArthur
    "It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"

  7. #357
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Except he never sent the troops that the CDRS in the field wanted for the surge.........That is why we are having such a hard time there................
    He sent an additional 30,000 troops into Afghanistan.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #358
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Oh, so he's the least warmongering I see. So tell me, how many American citizens has Romney killed with drone strikes? How many bombs did he order dropped over Libya? How many troops did he send to Afghanistan?
    You can go ahead and come back with "well.....he said he would" and I'll raise you some hope and change that never happened.
    Romney has publicly stated that the president should not have withdrawn the troops from Iraq, and that he pledged to increase military spending. He has denounced the President for weakness in dealing with Russia, America's "number one geopolitical foe". On Afghanistan, he has accused the president of giving in to the Taliban by issuing a timetable for troop withdrawal. Romney wants the US to get tougher with Iran.

    Thanks, but no thanks!

    Kinda like these figures from Libya.
    According to the Libyan Health office, the airstrikes killed 1,108 civilians and wounded 4,500 by July 13
    Casualties of the Libyan civil war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Compare that to the civilian deaths in the almost-decade long GOP war in Iraq on behalf of big oil.
    Last edited by Catawba; 06-04-12 at 04:17 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #359
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And my husband did a tour in each theater while in, and he said that although it was rare for Navy to fly for them, they would rather have Navy than Army or AF support. The preferred is Marines though. Don't get me wrong, he said it was not often that Navy actually supported, particularly in Afghanistan, but it did happen.

    And we were supporting something because I did one tour that had us flying for both OEF and OIF. You may not have seen them, but that doesn't mean we weren't helping. We certainly weren't sitting around, twiddling our thumbs.
    I know its subective but I've always had better experience with Army rotary rather than Marine. However, Marine fixed wing is better than anyones bar none. It's weird how that works.
    I just don't see what support the Navy would have flown from a carrier. I do know the Navy was heavily involved during the invasion of Iraq but that was when we were fighting in Basra. However, they especially haven't been involved in OEF. That's why our guys had to secure Bagram so we could have air in theater.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #360
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: For Veterans and Military personnel only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Romney has publicly stated that the president should not have withdrawn the troops from Iraq, and that he pledged to increase military spending. He has denounced the President for weakness in dealing with Russia, America's "number one geopolitical foe". On Afghanistan, he has accused the president of giving in to the Taliban by issuing a timetable for troop withdrawal. Romney wants the US to get tougher with Iran.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Neither because both are warmongers that will send me to fight another useless war...........Until then, Ron Paul's getting a write in vote from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If he is not reelected, do you really believe Romney will honor that? I don't. I think he'll extend it indefinitely.
    Both statements above show that I am not a supporter of Romney. I don't know why you feel the need to continue to bring him up in our discussion of your hypocrisy. Again, you are no longer a viable anti-war voice on this website because you plan to vote for a militant liberal. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Compare that to the civilian deaths in the almost-decade long GOP war in Iraq on behalf of big oil.
    GOP WAR?! LOL!!! While President Bush did instigate the Iraq war, he certainly had bipartisan help to include your bestest buddy. Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that your aforementioned bestest buddy, that's President Obama btw, has doubled down in Afghanistan.
    Obama defends votes in favor of Iraq funding - The Boston Globe
    The Democrats' Support for Bush's War | FPIF
    House Democrats Look To Fund War Through 2009 | Common Dreams
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 36 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •