View Poll Results: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 32.39%
  • No

    47 66.20%
  • I'm really not sure

    1 1.41%
  • What's marriage?

    0 0%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 206

Thread: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I've heard that line a million times (literary) on this forum. You say it as though SSM could ever be repealed. You either think I'm incredibly ignorent of how the law works, you're incredibly ignorant yourself.
    Jerry, I have never considered you ignorant. Yeah we may disagree on quite a few issues but that doesn't mean that I think you are ignorant.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #112
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Your reasons would be based on your personal view of marriage, not what legal marriage is and what is required legally for a person to do in a marriage. (I'll give you a hint, legal marriage in the US does not require procreation, either the ability or desire to do so.) Is there any other reason, besides your own personal attraction to your wife, that you think that a marriage must involve a man and a woman?

    And the bans on women in the military do not keep a woman completely out of the military. They keep a woman from being able to do certain jobs in the military because of many unique differences between men and women. Those things could easily be changed with changes in how warfare is conducted, training, and developing new, lighter equipment and/or equipment that will "enhance" physical attributes of either sex. At the moment, we recognize that the vast majority of women are not as strong as men, require certain considerations in their sanitation/medical needs, and are viewed, due to their sex, differently by many men than other men are. These are valid state interests for keeping women out of certain military jobs. As we develop newer technology and perhaps different male/female relationships, we may see these rules changing as well.
    WOW. That's a lot to swallow. Tradition and the 'normal' familiy unit are the best justification for marriage getting special legal status. Barring that, marraige is then ONLY about life partnering with special legal status, not anything to do with having or raising children, but we all know that is the next "logical" step, denying that the homosexual lifestyle may confuse children even, as many gays now say that they are 'hurt' and/or 'confused' by the reactions of their own heterosexual parents toward their lifestyle. As far as the military goes there should be TWO branches, like in the old days of the WAC. The current nonsense is not working well, as neither the men nor women in the service really like it. As you note, different is not same (equal), no matter how much you wish it to be so. We should stop the denying that equivalent (separate but equal) is as close to equal as different things can be. Civil unions are as close to marraige as same sex couples can get, accept it and move on.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The compelling interest in denying SSM is the same that denies polygamy, traditional limitations on the definition of 'family'. We have created 'special' legal realtionships for husband and wife, primarily to reenforce the traditional familiy unit by confering some legal advantages to it. For those that feel that this is unfair to homosexuals, polygamists, those believing in 'free love' or absolute individual equal protection under the law, it is "wrong", but the vast majority like it (or at least accept it). We now have all sorts of moronic things like 'bad' discrimination (race or gender bans) and 'good' discrimination (race or gender perks), yet we seem to accept that some forms of discrimination are for the general good, traditional marraige simply being one of them. Adding yet another class of 'special' (super?) or protected citizens, based on sexual orientation, is a bad idea, just as 'affirmative action' and 'hate crime' laws are bad ideas, since they (by definition) make for unequal protection under the law and help to prolong the recognition of differences and thus actually seem to slow setting them aside.
    Sorry but "tradition" is not a valid reason to deny a fundemental right. Do I really have to go through a list of traditions that have been overturned because they were bad traditions? Besides, appealing to tradition would not work very well for you. Polygamy use to be tradition long before monogamy came into the picture.

    And we are not adding a "special" class of protected citizens. We are just acknowledgeing that the fundemental right to marry should be applied to everyone and not just one class of people.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #114
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    WOW. That's a lot to swallow. Tradition and the 'normal' familiy unit are the best justification for marriage getting special legal status. Barring that, marraige is then ONLY about life partnering with special legal status, not anything to do with having or raising children, but we all know that is the next "logical" step, denying that the homosexual lifestyle may confuse children even, as many gays now say that they are 'hurt' and/or 'confused' by the reactions of their own heterosexual parents toward their lifestyle. As far as the military goes there should be TWO branches, like in the old days of the WAC. The current nonsense is not working well, as neither the men nor women in the service really like it. As you note, different is not same (equal), no matter how much you wish it to be so. We should stop the denying that equivalent (separate but equal) is as close to equal as different things can be. Civil unions are as close to marraige as same sex couples can get, accept it and move on.
    No. Legal rights and benefits that come from being legal family are the best reasons to have legal marriage.

    People do not marry, for the most part, in the US just to have children. The vast majority of people marry because they want to marry the person they feel they love. If they find out after or even before they marry that they can't have children together, the vast majority of those people will still get married to each other and find another way to have/raise children together, if that is important to them.

    You do not get to determine the "normal" family unit. There are many different types of family units that work well for raising children, including having same sex parents.

    Women in the military is working fine for those who understand that women should be treated like the men. If they have a problem, it should based on the issue, not the sex of the person involved. The vast majority of jobs in the military do not require a certain level of strength or physical ability and most people, particularly in the normal situations that the majority of service members face can work together with little problems.

    Oh, and since more states recognize legal same sex marriages than they do legal civil unions, it is highly likely that same sex couples will be allowed to legally marry within the next ten years. Likely sooner. Your argument is not supported by facts. There is absolutely no reason to deny same sex couples legal marriage, even the word, and I strongly believe the SC will agree with me.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #115
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except polygamy is not being denied on the same basis. Polygamy is denied because polygamy does not fit into the current marriage contract. Changing the number of people within the marriage actually does raise legal issues pertaining to the government rights/benefits of marriage.

    And you have yet to explain why a legal marriage contract requires a man and a woman. The contract involves legal rights, benefits and responsibilities that involve two people becoming the beneficiaries and responsible parties for those things. What part of a person's sex relative to another prevents them from taking on those legal responsibilities and/or causes problems with the distribution of those legal rights/benefits?
    OK, let's use this example. Tom and John, or Mary and Susan (not at all sexual partners) work or even go to school together, and decide that the financial advantages of marriage, say just for health insurance purposes, make it 'wise' to marry, making one the spouse of the other, getting 'free' coverage on the policy of the other, they form a prenuptual agreement protecting all current assets and agree to buy no joint property. What is to stop this "scam" from becoming wide-spread, as is the 'single mother' scam now used to collect welfare and protect the wages of the 'daddy' (from child support requirements or consideration in 'family' income)? Welfare caused a huge increase in out-of-wedlock childbirth, and I believe that asexual 'marraige' will lead to similar benefit abuse, just as you assert that polygamy would. Adding a spouse (dependent) makes many more 'low income' same sex roommate situations (now able to be called marraiges) into cases qualifying for public assistance (they could simply take turns being employed, or one work 'off the books').
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 05-28-12 at 03:12 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #116
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    OK, let's use this example. Tom and John, or Mary and Susan (not at all sexual partners) work or even go to school together, and decide that the financial advantages of marriage, say just for health insurance purposes, make it 'wise' to marry, making one the spouse of the other, getting 'free' coverage on the policy of the other, they form a prenuptual agreement protecting all current assets and agree to buy no joint property. What is to stop this "scam" from becoming wide-spread, as is the 'single mother' scam now used to collect welfare and protect the wages of the 'daddy'? Welfare caused a huge increase in out-of-wedlock childbirth, and I believe that asexual 'marraige' will lead to similar benefit abuse, just as you assert that polygamy would. Adding a spouse (dependent) makes many more 'low income' same sex roommate situations (now able to be called marraiges) into cases qualifying for public assistance (they could simply take turns being employed, or one work 'off the books').
    This happens now with opposite sex couples. It happens all the time in the military. They try to crack down on it but its a little hard to prove who got married because they planned to stay together and who got together for the benefits alone. Military members get divorced all the time.

    You seem to think that this is really going to be some huge issue. It won't. The vast majority of people want to marry the person they actually plan to stay with, not some random person they may get some assumed benefits from.

    Oh, and you obviously don't realize how most assistance programs work. The vast majority of them, it would hurt someone to get married to their roommate and try to get on assistance than it would just to stay single roommates living together.

    Plus, each now opens themself up to property disputes that could cause major issues.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 05-28-12 at 03:09 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    OK, you now attempt to equate race and gender, so what of ALL 'separate but equal' laws based on gender? You seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. Is title 9 now invalid for college sports? Should we boycott the olympics? Should we strike gender restrictions for the military? Should we outlaw 'separate' restrooms and prison cells for women/men?
    Sorry, but that's a lame argument. Separate restroom and prison cells exist for the purposes of personal privacy. Dumb, dumb argument.

    As far as the military is concerned, yeah we ought to strike any gender only restrictions. If women can do the job, they ought to be allowed to do it.
    It's really not that complicated. Unless, of course, you believe that female is the inferior gender and there are certain jobs only men should be allowed to do.
    Last edited by Wiggen; 05-28-12 at 03:32 PM.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As always, the standards will be lowered so that women can pass. Not only will women not be able to perform on a man's level, they won't even be expected to. this is the theme through all military training. Females have lower standards to achieve.

    Introducing females into tight fire teams is disastrous for the additional reason of romantic interests. Even if a women could perform on a man's level, romantic relationships will form, and then brake up, then she's going out with the first guy's buddy, and now she's just broken up a fire team, all for the sake of a few promotion points.



    I've heard that line a million times (literary) on this forum. You say it as though SSM could ever be repealed. You either think I'm incredibly ignorent of how the law works, you're incredibly ignorant yourself.
    I think you have a pretty low opinion of women in general. How is it again that SSM harms you?
    Last edited by Wiggen; 05-28-12 at 03:33 PM.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #119
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Fortunately, you only live in one of them and have but one vote. ;-)
    That's OK. I'm not power hungry. As I already said, I'm totally willing to leave this up to the States.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Should same-sex marriage be left to the States?

    Nope, any more than slavery should be a state issue. As the Constitution guarantees full faith and credit, any marriage that is legal in one state must be viewed as legal in all of them, thus even if you make it illegal in one state, they still have to recognize the marriage that moves in from another state where it's legal.

    People, especially the religious retards, need to get the hell over themselves.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •