View Poll Results: Is using a taser to arrest a noncoperative but nonviolent person "excessive force"

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always

    15 26.79%
  • Depends, sometimes yes, sometimes no

    26 46.43%
  • No, tasers are acceptable if a person is not cooperating

    13 23.21%
  • Don't know

    2 3.57%
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 317

Thread: Taser Use

  1. #51
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Redress there is no answer to the question where is the line drawn...the answer is the line is drawn at the time the incident is in progress and the cop makes the decision on the fly what his course of action is....
    All depts are different...so im on the spot here...I can only speak from my experience based on my depts sop...I cant speak for other depts that have differing SOPs that the operate under...thats where alot of confusion comes in with caine and I when in these kinds of threads...
    There is no cookie cutter answers most of the time...your dealing with SITUATIONAL decision making...not cut and dried rules and regulations...each decision is based on a set of rules with the final decsion being made by the actions of the moment....I hope that made sense
    LP...I do want to thank you for actually inputting your opinions as you were a cop. I think it shows that a lot of people disagree with certain issues, but I certainly can respect someone expressing their side of the story. This explanation actually does make sense to me.

    My preferred line is violence, but that can be skewed as well in certain situation where you are trying to define what is the amount of violence to use force. Is it slight resistance continually, or full on thrusting resistance? What is the crime or violation committed? Does it warrant force?

    Different situations have different answers and I certainly can agree to that.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Taser Pain May Be Considered by Supreme Court as Excessive Force - Yahoo! News

    She sued the cops, and right now has won the suit, however the cops where granted immunity due to the law being considered too vague. Thursday SCOTUS meets to decide whether to hear the case.

    So, now the question: the woman was no threat and was simply refusing to comply. In that type situation, is the inflicting of intense pain a violation of the constitution? A further question that does not translate well to a poll so just type out an answer...where does the line get drawn? When are police justified in using a taser, and when is it excessive?
    People should not be tased unless they become violent. Merely refusing to comply is not violence and therefore, tasing someone who does so is excessive force.

  3. #53
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Violent means should not be used on non-violent individuals. So yeah, it was execessive force.

    At one point if I recall correctly the electric chair was considered cruel and inhumane and as such could no longer be used, because of the pain that it inflicted. So besides the difference of death (though tasers can cause death it is mainly accidental when used by police)...just what IS the difference? If we're not allowed to use electricity on the condemned why would it be acceptable to use it on someone that is intended to live?
    I disagree it was not excessive force...she was placed under arrest and refused to comply...there was no choice left but to use force to get her into custody. Now having said that...I believe as a once supervisor of alot of people..that this entire incident should have been avoided by merely putting in the sig line ...driver refused to sign and have the cop intial it or sign below it...that would have been accepted in any court..
    Why he didnt do that I cant say..I dont know if thats a strict sop of his dept...I know when I was on duty my people knew that if they werent sure and they had time <no violence or crowd control problems> to call me and I would give them direction..I dont know why they didnt put this on their supervisor..thats what supervisors are for...they had plenty of time to call and get direction

  4. #54
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,613
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    People should not be tased unless they become violent. Merely refusing to comply is not violence and therefore, tasing someone who does so is excessive force.
    So, you're bound by law to take her into custody. She won't get out of the car. What do you do?

  5. #55
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    LP...I do want to thank you for actually inputting your opinions as you were a cop. I think it shows that a lot of people disagree with certain issues, but I certainly can respect someone expressing their side of the story. This explanation actually does make sense to me.

    My preferred line is violence, but that can be skewed as well in certain situation where you are trying to define what is the amount of violence to use force. Is it slight resistance continually, or full on thrusting resistance? What is the crime or violation committed? Does it warrant force?

    Different situations have different answers and I certainly can agree to that.
    I apologize to you..I get cranky over these threads because I think ive been in a couple of million of them and I just get GAH..sometimes..its my own fault for responding to it and I know it and the GAH was meant for me....lol...

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    You missed a whole lot of points of the issue...basically what you said is right...and court is where you will be...if you refuse to comply to my orders...your going whether you like it or not...PERIOD....I know some alphas males think they are the top of the food chain...they learn they are not..even if its temporary...
    This is a pretty poor attitude for a cop to have. Moreover, your posts thus far sound like those of alpha male who thinks they are on top of the food chain. Turns out there are many cops in jail or on trial who learned they aren't either.

  7. #57
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    So, you're bound by law to take her into custody. She won't get out of the car. What do you do?

    When it comes to police some people are just totally unreasonable...once your placed under arrest...you are going one way or another...man, women, teenager, granny...and the sad part is they know they have to go and they know the cops arent going to change their mind because your refusing to go...so they make their beds most of the time...if they complied and they were falsely arrested they can sue...

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    So, you're bound by law to take her into custody. She won't get out of the car. What do you do?
    Not tase her. Open the door, attempt to pull her out of the car and if she gets violent, then tase her. However, I get the feeling that if you have several male cops, you can get a woman out of a car without needing a taser.

  9. #59
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    This is a pretty poor attitude for a cop to have. Moreover, your posts thus far sound like those of alpha male who thinks they are on top of the food chain. Turns out there are many cops in jail or on trial who learned they aren't either.
    My attitude carried me through 28 yrs and moved me up the ranks and never once in 28 yrs was I convicted of any wrong doing or recieved any disciplinary citations for my actions...So I can say with conviction you know not what you speak of...you just want something negative to say to your favorite poster on DPF lpast...lol....grain of salt dude...just a grain of salt..

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    You missed a whole lot of points of the issue...basically what you said is right...and court is where you will be...if you refuse to comply to my orders...your going whether you like it or not...PERIOD....I know some alphas males think they are the top of the food chain...they learn they are not..even if its temporary...
    you sound like the very type of cop I dislike.... always on a power trip.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •