View Poll Results: Is using a taser to arrest a noncoperative but nonviolent person "excessive force"

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always

    15 26.79%
  • Depends, sometimes yes, sometimes no

    26 46.43%
  • No, tasers are acceptable if a person is not cooperating

    13 23.21%
  • Don't know

    2 3.57%
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 317

Thread: Taser Use

  1. #131
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Would have..... Probably not.
    SHOULD have..... Definitely.

    I was raised that you did not ignore or disobey a Law Enforcement Officer... PERIOD. If you had a problem with them, you contacted the department AFTER the fact and filed a complaint; but you did what the officer told you to do at that moment.
    That is a ridiculous notion to me. In a free society, you have the right to question the charges against you, and not be in fear or complete obedience to the police.

    We pay for the police departments and have rights. The police are not supposed to be those who can tell me that my right don't matter when being confronted by them.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    When I was active, trust me...the baton hurts more and the pain can last for days....Police cannot have citizens routinely defying them...I know that sounds like we think were gods...but that has nothing to do with...we are sworn to protect and serve citizens and protect the peace...you cannot accomplish that with people routinely refusing to obey you
    Yes, don't question them just do as they say when they say it! They say jump, you say "how high!".

    How lovely and sad that you got it exactly backwards. And people wonder why we need the 2nd amendment.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    No, it has nothing to do with the few bully cops who beat people they've arrested, it has nothing to do with stories like this, it has nothing to do with actually crappy cops with crappy attitudes or with cops who don't do their jobs in minority neighborhoods or any of that. It's just about people who fight authority.

    What a crock of ****.

    The only argument you can make, which I agree with by the way, is that it's irrational to generalize about cops being all bad based on the few bad ones that ruin their name. However, you cannot argue that people have a problem with cops just because they "fight all authority" and not because they have legitimate reasons to dislike them based on their own experiences.
    Well, you can say that, but I've been around enough retard anti-cop morons who have NOTHING good to say about any cop, ever. They're (the cops) always in the wrong, no matter what they do. This attitude doesn't come from a rational weighing of the pros and cons of police actions; it's a generalization based in a specific worldview, that authority is bad, no one has a right to tell me what to do, blah blah blah.

    I'm not trying to discount real cases of police brutality, I've made my outrage known at what I consider excessive use of force. There are lot of rotten cops out there who need to be taken off the force.

    But let's make a connection here; what drives some cops to be sadistic, power hungry abusers? What drive some people to hate all cops for no reason? It's based in personality, you're worldview. Some worldviews are insane.

  4. #134
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Would have..... Probably not.
    SHOULD have..... Definitely.

    I was raised that you did not ignore or disobey a Law Enforcement Officer... PERIOD. If you had a problem with them, you contacted the department AFTER the fact and filed a complaint; but you did what the officer told you to do at that moment.
    Folks, do not let people saying stupid, over the top **** like this get the thread sidetracked. Just ignore it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #135
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    This is one of those situations where I'm not sure there was a good answer. They probably shouldn't have used the taser on a pregnant woman who wasn't resisting them violently. Especially since they still ended up having to physically drag her out of the car. Then again, we have no idea what the woman would have done had she not been tased before being dragged out. Maybe she would have struggled harder, and getting into a physical struggle with a pregnant woman isn't a good idea either. I don't think this particular case is as bad as some I've heard. But in some cases I do think the police are resorting to using tasers too readily, simply out of laziness. And my other problem with taser use is that though they are marketed as non-lethal weapons, there are cases in which they can be lethal, and although those cases are very rare, there is generally no way of telling before using the taser whether it will kill the person it's being used on.
    Very fair minded post based on common sense...I agree no good could come out of this situation...the woman was being ridiculously difficult.
    Non lethal does not mean it cannot hurt or kill...Non lethal means for the general population tasers are safe...there are always unknowns...weak hearts etc...using other means of restraint can be even more lethal...<batons physical restraint>
    The bottom line here there is no perfect solution when police have to restrain a person to take them into custody...

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Well, you can say that, but I've been around enough retard anti-cop morons who have NOTHING good to say about any cop, ever. They're (the cops) always in the wrong, no matter what they do. This attitude doesn't come from a rational weighing of the pros and cons of police actions; it's a generalization based in a specific worldview, that authority is bad, no one has a right to tell me what to do, blah blah blah.

    I'm not trying to discount real cases of police brutality, I've made my outrage known at what I consider excessive use of force. There are lot of rotten cops out there who need to be taken off the force.

    But let's make a connection here; what drives some cops to be sadistic, power hungry abusers? What drive some people to hate all cops for no reason? It's based in personality, you're worldview. Some worldviews are insane.
    Great, but that doesn't justify your original comment nor does it really have much to do with it or my response. You said, "cops are people of many people's hatred because there are personalities out there who instinctively fight all authority, legit or not." That's an absolute statement which happens to be a crock of ****. If you want to say, "some people hate cops because they just don't like authority," then that is an accurate statement. However, your original comment is false and nothing you've said in this one justifies it.

  7. #137
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Great, but that doesn't justify your original comment nor does it really have much to do with it or my response. You said, "cops are people of many people's hatred because there are personalities out there who instinctively fight all authority, legit or not." That's an absolute statement which happens to be a crock of ****. If you want to say, "some people hate cops because they just don't like authority," then that is an accurate statement. However, your original comment is false and nothing you've said in this one justifies it.
    Alot of people dont like cops because they have alot of negative interaction with them...by breaking the law and being scumbags... They were always my favorite detractors and haters...

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Alot of people dont like cops because they have alot of negative interaction with them...by breaking the law and being scumbags... They were always my favorite detractors and haters...
    Sure, some people don't like cops because of that. And there are people who either were beaten or have friends who gotten were beaten by cops for no good reason or see stories like this or who live in neighborhoods where the cops don't do jack about violence or who know firsthand the consequences of dirty cops or who know cops spread hate about gay people by talking about disgusting sex clubs they broke up when they were on the force and so on.


  9. #139
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Taser Use

    I don't like the fact that a pregnant woman got tazed, but she made some horrible choices. The police stopped her, at that point it is just easier to comply with commands and the situation ends peacefully and more quickly. As well, I think every state has a law compelling one to sign an issued ticket, if you think you are in the right challenge in court, if the officer is being polite and professional comply. The woman endangered her own child by being non compliant and she had to realize the situation could escalate. I don't know what the voltage effect of the secondaries of hitting the ground would have been but I do assume it's less than a baton or the force created by having to use a restraining hold and it's certainly less than a shooting.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #140
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,689
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    False choices.
    If these:
    These are basically your options: Yank her out and throw her to the ground; mace her; hit her with the baton; tase her.
    ... are "False choices", please enlighten me as to which choices were left out.

    I'm willing to accept that there might have been a reasonable and legitimate choice I haven't listed; however, the choices that were listed were not "false". They are choices available to the LEO's on the scene, legitimate police actions to handle an uncooperative subject. Some may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •