View Poll Results: Is using a taser to arrest a noncoperative but nonviolent person "excessive force"

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always

    15 26.79%
  • Depends, sometimes yes, sometimes no

    26 46.43%
  • No, tasers are acceptable if a person is not cooperating

    13 23.21%
  • Don't know

    2 3.57%
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 317

Thread: Taser Use

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Pregnant women, steering wheel, unstable situation...yeah, physically removing her has trouble written all over it.
    So does tasering her. Moreover, as I said in another post, I wouldn't mind adding pepper spray to the mix.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Not according to the law I cites in this thread. Moreover, the officers only need to submit affidavits that they did indeed issue a ticket and the burden in then upon the driver to dispute those assertions in court or receive a default judgement and possible bench warrant for failure to appear.
    Good call. Even if this isn't a law though it is just common sense. Follow her home. There are all sorts of different alternatives. Cops aren't God to be obeyed just because they open their mouths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #113
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    You know where she lives. She is not Jeffrey Dahmer. She did not rob a bank. She did not get violent. She refused to comply in getting out of her vehicle. She was pregnant. She said she had to pee. If she got out and peed? If she got out and cramped? Would they escort her to the nearest bathroom so she could relieve her already full bladder with a baby sitting on top of it? No.
    There is a line to arresting someone and tazering them for not signing a piece of fracking paper. It could have been handled differently. They were out of line. I hope she sues. And I hope she wins.
    With that said.....she was wrong to begin with but that doesnt excuse being tazered. Period.
    And I love every sheriff in this town. I always show respect, but I expect respect in return. A cop has no rights in enforcing the law where they torture me. Period. Or anyone.
    The officers made a simple legal request that she simply sign the citation, explaining that it was not an admission of guilt, and she would have been on her merry way. She decided to take it to the next level, by resisting arrest, that she chose over simply signing the ticket, a very dumb thing to do. I have no sympathy for her not expediting her own arrest, she was given two choices and decided to pick a third alternative, resisting arrest.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #114
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The officers made a simple legal request that she simply sign the citation, explaining that it was not an admission of guilt, and she would have been on her merry way. She decided to take it to the next level, by resisting arrest, that she chose over simply signing the ticket, a very dumb thing to do. I have no sympathy for her not expediting her own arrest, she was given two choices and decided to pick a third alternative, resisting arrest.
    Can you explain how not signing a ticket = being arrested in the first place? What kind of dumb **** law is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Taser Use

    There are now cameras at stop signs. Run it, you get a ticket in the mail. Apply that to those who refuse to sign. All the cop has to do is write it, hand it to the person, if they tear it up or refuse to sign, shrug, walk away, mail a copy, done. They dont appear, then get an arrest warrant. No tazers need to be applied.

  6. #116
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Good call. Even if this isn't a law though it is just common sense. Follow her home. There are all sorts of different alternatives. Cops aren't God to be obeyed just because they open their mouths.

    As redress pointed out this incident happened in 2004 before the law was changed...so they did have to require her to sign..
    Now having said that I think its a ridiculous law that can only cause incidents like this one...its absurd...thats why they finally changed it....she refused to sign so what...the cop signs driver refused to sign and initials it...the citation is the cops observation of her breaking motor vehicle laws...so why doe she have to sign...the cop signs...stupid law they had

  7. #117
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    There are now cameras at stop signs. Run it, you get a ticket in the mail. Apply that to those who refuse to sign. All the cop has to do is write it, hand it to the person, if they tear it up or refuse to sign, shrug, walk away, mail a copy, done. They dont appear, then get an arrest warrant. No tazers need to be applied.
    It is just such common sense that I am bewildered to see people actually support this crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    As redress pointed out this incident happened in 2004 before the law was changed...so they did have to require her to sign..
    Now having said that I think its a ridiculous law that can only cause incidents like this one...its absurd...thats why they finally changed it....she refused to sign so what...the cop signs driver refused to sign and initials it...the citation is the cops observation of her breaking motor vehicle laws...so why doe she have to sign...the cop signs...stupid law they had
    The case we are talking about was 2004? Oh... they changed the law and it is better now then? Good.

    Why are we talking about this case then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #119
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    As redress pointed out this incident happened in 2004 before the law was changed...so they did have to require her to sign..
    Now having said that I think its a ridiculous law that can only cause incidents like this one...its absurd...thats why they finally changed it....she refused to sign so what...the cop signs driver refused to sign and initials it...the citation is the cops observation of her breaking motor vehicle laws...so why doe she have to sign...the cop signs...stupid law they had
    Thanks the date is what I was looking for. I get immersed in the research and the looking for the specific case. So the 2006 law is not valid.

  10. #120
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Taser Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Can you explain how not signing a ticket = being arrested in the first place? What kind of dumb **** law is that?
    Its a very dumb law...thats why they changed it...that law doesnt do anything but cause altercations...its absurd...and I said that way up in the first couple of pages of this thread...

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •