View Poll Results: Do you think Obamacare should be repealed?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    40 50.63%
  • No

    39 49.37%
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 229

Thread: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    As I have said before in my post, the 1 trillion over 15 years it will cost can be made by gradually phasing out all Bush taxcuts, making government more efficient, and drawing down our military to 2001 budget levels.
    A couple of problems with your points:

    1. The Democrats seem to want to fix a number of problems by phasing out the Bush tax cuts...Obamacare's costs, the deficit, the debt, etc. I'm sorry, but y'all are gonna have to choose. That rise in taxes just won't cover it all.

    2. Speaking of the rise in taxes...do you seriously think the Public will approve an increase in their taxes so that the government can TELL them what to buy?

    3. "making the government more efficient"...do you even think that is possible? Has the government ever done that before?

    4. "drawing down our military..."...National Defense is mandated by the Constitution...unlike any of the entitlement programs that eat so much money...and is the LAST place to cut. Start with the entitlements.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #92
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    A couple of problems with your points:

    1. The Democrats seem to want to fix a number of problems by phasing out the Bush tax cuts...Obamacare's costs, the deficit, the debt, etc. I'm sorry, but y'all are gonna have to choose. That rise in taxes just won't cover it all.

    2. Speaking of the rise in taxes...do you seriously think the Public will approve an increase in their taxes so that the government can TELL them what to buy?

    3. "making the government more efficient"...do you even think that is possible? Has the government ever done that before?

    4. "drawing down our military..."...National Defense is mandated by the Constitution...unlike any of the entitlement programs that eat so much money...and is the LAST place to cut. Start with the entitlements.
    Addressing this last point. Just because national defense is mandated by the Constitution doesn't mean wasteful defense spending doesn't exist. Weren't you the one who just said government was inherently inefficient?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #93
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    "drawing down our military..."...National Defense is mandated by the Constitution
    Only defense is proscribed under the Constitution.

    We have no need to spend as much as the rest of the world combined for defense only.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #94
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    I don't believe that universal healthcare is viable, simply because I don't believe it will be able to provide the best care possible, to those who need it most. Instead of Universal Health Care, I think we should stick to letting individual people purchase the health care plans that are best suited to their needs, while regulating how insurance policies are managed. I just don't see UHC as anything other than a taxpayer burden that will only get heavier as the years go by.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,388

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    A couple of problems with your points:

    1. The Democrats seem to want to fix a number of problems by phasing out the Bush tax cuts...Obamacare's costs, the deficit, the debt, etc. I'm sorry, but y'all are gonna have to choose. That rise in taxes just won't cover it all.

    2. Speaking of the rise in taxes...do you seriously think the Public will approve an increase in their taxes so that the government can TELL them what to buy?

    3. "making the government more efficient"...do you even think that is possible? Has the government ever done that before?

    4. "drawing down our military..."...National Defense is mandated by the Constitution...unlike any of the entitlement programs that eat so much money...and is the LAST place to cut. Start with the entitlements.
    We should start where the pork and fat is, with the defense budget. Right now the House is trying to give the Pentagon more money than it even wants. Doesn't that clue you in on where their bread is buttered?
    Every poll I've seen says voters are overwhelmingly in favor of ending the tax cuts for the top bracket and why wouldn't they? It's less money for hedge funds and more money for bridges and schools, whats not to like?

    The administration signaled last week that it would not support a budget that is $4 billion over the president's request and $8 billion over the spending caps set last fall by the bipartisan Budget Control Act of 2011.

    Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Rep. Buck McKeon, R-Calif., the Armed Services Committee chairman, had a terse exchange of statements last week, with Panetta claiming the extra money would actually hurt the military by making it more likely that Congress and the White House will be unable to avoid across-the-board budget cuts in January that could reduce the 2013 defense budget by $55 billion or more.
    http://www.federaltimes.com/article/...017/CONGRESS03
    Last edited by iguanaman; 05-23-12 at 03:26 AM.

  6. #96
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Addressing this last point. Just because national defense is mandated by the Constitution doesn't mean wasteful defense spending doesn't exist. Weren't you the one who just said government was inherently inefficient?
    I have to agree. The military wastes the **** out of money, and the "defense" budget should be cut just on principal.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Okay, this is to all of you who responded to my post.

    I agree that wasteful spending is bad...no matter what agency or department it occurs in. I won't single out one particular department, though. If you want to end wasteful spending, then enact an across-the-board spending cut. The various agencies and departments will HAVE to cut the waste or fail in their intended functions. The directors of those that fail should be replaced with people who CAN provide the function without the waste.

    Now. It's easy to rail on the DOD as being too big. But the fact is, it's mandated. There are a whole host of departments and agencies that are NOT mandated by the Constitution. THESE should be cut back or eliminated first. If we still have deficit spending after doing all we can in those areas, THEN we should look at DOD.

    The first place to work on is Obamacare. It's totally unnecessary and it fails at its intended goal. Dump the piece of crap.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #98
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Addressing this last point. Just because national defense is mandated by the Constitution doesn't mean wasteful defense spending doesn't exist. Weren't you the one who just said government was inherently inefficient?
    To be precise, I didn't say that...though it is.

    What I talked about what the ability of government to increase efficiency.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,388

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Okay, this is to all of you who responded to my post.

    I agree that wasteful spending is bad...no matter what agency or department it occurs in. I won't single out one particular department, though. If you want to end wasteful spending, then enact an across-the-board spending cut. The various agencies and departments will HAVE to cut the waste or fail in their intended functions. The directors of those that fail should be replaced with people who CAN provide the function without the waste.

    Now. It's easy to rail on the DOD as being too big. But the fact is, it's mandated. There are a whole host of departments and agencies that are NOT mandated by the Constitution. THESE should be cut back or eliminated first. If we still have deficit spending after doing all we can in those areas, THEN we should look at DOD.

    The first place to work on is Obamacare. It's totally unnecessary and it fails at its intended goal. Dump the piece of crap.
    LOL Defense contractor Pork is "mandated" and Healthcare is unnecessary. What planet are you from? The Constitution is not a suicide pact.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 05-23-12 at 12:24 PM.

  10. #100
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Doyou think Obamacare should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I guess the old saying the truth hurts really applies to you my left wing friend...........
    NP, he was agreeing with you.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •