View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 80 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #791
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I do wonder why some folks continue to call themselves Americans when they obviously hate the nation.
    Oh were Americans. Just not yankees. Southernors.

    Quantrill

  2. #792
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Which part of the Constitution was that? I've been looking for "Congress shall make no law abridging the right to own other people." I'll keep looking though.

    Go burn a cross in your sheets.
    Aritcle 4 section 2. And, the Supreme Court decison concerning Dred Scott.

    Quantrill

  3. #793
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Spoken like a true TeaBagger ... uh, Tea Partier. It's our way or we're going home!!! *stomps foot*

    Correction, we are home. Indicating your the one that needs to leave.

    Quantrill

  4. #794
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,180

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Aritcle 4 section 2. And, the Supreme Court decison concerning Dred Scott.

    Quantrill
    Neither of which guaranteed the right to own slaves forever. It was completely possible for Congress to pass a law that made it illegal, thus the South seceded because they were afraid that would happen. Nowhere in the Constitution is the right to own another human being written in it, neither of these things that you point to did not guarantee a perpetual right to own another person.

    Dred Scott was a slave who, years later, sued for his freedom because his owner took him into free territory at one point. The argument was that he became perpetually free, despite his later return to a slave state. Had he sued for his freedom while in free territory, it's possible that he would have had a point. Ironically, for your love of this ruling, the ruling was anti-states rights as it effectively invalidated a state's right to make slavery illegal in it's territory. It did NOT, however, say that slavery could never be made illegal, it upheld the legality at the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #795
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Neither of which guaranteed the right to own slaves forever. It was completely possible for Congress to pass a law that made it illegal, thus the South seceded because they were afraid that would happen. Nowhere in the Constitution is the right to own another human being written in it, neither of these things that you point to did not guarantee a perpetual right to own another person.

    Dred Scott was a slave who, years later, sued for his freedom because his owner took him into free territory at one point. The argument was that he became perpetually free, despite his later return to a slave state. Had he sued for his freedom while in free territory, it's possible that he would have had a point. Ironically, for your love of this ruling, the ruling was anti-states rights as it effectively invalidated a state's right to make slavery illegal in it's territory. It did NOT, however, say that slavery could never be made illegal, it upheld the legality at the time.
    Guaranteed forever is immaterial. Guarnateed in 1861 is. The South seceded because the North reufused to acknowledge slavery's protection under the constitution and allowed people such as Brown to attack and create chaos in the South. The South was not given the protection under the Constituton.

    If the North wanted to change the constitution, then they could go through the process. But they were not going through the process. They simply declared the South should not have slaves and encouraged such atrocities as Brown produced.

    Ariticle 4 section 2 requied the fugitive slave to be returned to his master. Thereby protecting the right of the slave owners.

    The Supreme court determined that the Southern Slave owner could take his property anywhere in the US he wanted. Making void all those stupid compromises that were intended to hurt the Southernor.

    Slavery was protected. By the Constitution. Upheld by the Supreme Court. Making the Southernor not the traitor. Making the damnyankee the traitor in flouting the Constitution.

    Quantrill

  6. #796
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from Centinel



    Call it being an American patriot who does not want to see his beloved nation deteriorate before his eyes like a leper losing parts of themselves.
    So an American patriot punishes people when they practice their freedoms? Hmm..

    Leaving the country when you have money:

    We are going to tax your ass and you can never come back!

    Leaving the country when you are a state:

    You have to pay out of your nose and give me everything!

    You are such a patriot.
    Last edited by Henrin; 05-26-12 at 11:11 PM.

  7. #797
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,180

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Guaranteed forever is immaterial. Guarnateed in 1861 is. The South seceded because the North reufused to acknowledge slavery's protection under the constitution and allowed people such as Brown to attack and create chaos in the South. The South was not given the protection under the Constituton.

    If the North wanted to change the constitution, then they could go through the process. But they were not going through the process. They simply declared the South should not have slaves and encouraged such atrocities as Brown produced.

    Ariticle 4 section 2 requied the fugitive slave to be returned to his master. Thereby protecting the right of the slave owners.

    The Supreme court determined that the Southern Slave owner could take his property anywhere in the US he wanted. Making void all those stupid compromises that were intended to hurt the Southernor.

    Slavery was protected. By the Constitution. Upheld by the Supreme Court. Making the Southernor not the traitor. Making the damnyankee the traitor in flouting the Constitution.

    Quantrill
    I know you keep saying the same thing again and again hoping that will make it true, but the "right" to own other people is not Constitutionally guaranteed. It doesn't change that the South seceded to protect a labor system that was based on the enslavement of an entire race of people. In fact, in every post you say that slavery was protected and the North wouldn't let that persist just proves that was the reason.

    I'm proud to live in a country that banned this evil practice. If you're not, then get out. Nobody is holding you and the rest of the KKK back.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #798
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I know you keep saying the same thing again and again hoping that will make it true, but the "right" to own other people is not Constitutionally guaranteed. It doesn't change that the South seceded to protect a labor system that was based on the enslavement of an entire race of people. In fact, in every post you say that slavery was protected and the North wouldn't let that persist just proves that was the reason.

    I'm proud to live in a country that banned this evil practice. If you're not, then get out. Nobody is holding you and the rest of the KKK back.
    They didn't leave the union because of slavery, but a series of state rights violations that included ending slavery.

  9. #799
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,180

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So an American patriot punishes people when they practice their freedoms? Hmm..

    Leaving the country when you have money:

    We are going to tax your ass and you can never come back!

    Leaving the country when you are a state:

    You have to pay out of your nose and give me everything!

    You are such a patriot.
    I'd say that not wanting to see one's country dissolve into petty warring factions is patriotic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #800
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I'd say that not wanting to see one's country dissolve into petty warring factions is patriotic.
    If you want people to be happy you take steps to make them happy. You don't abuse them and make them want to leave and then punish them when they think of doing it to make them think otherwise about it.

Page 80 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •