View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 78 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #771
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    As I said above, one option would be for Texas not to take federal lands at all but to leave them as owned by the US government. Personally, I favor that option, since taxes on those lands would provide a valuable source of income.



    So you would be satisfied if Texas paid its 7% of the US government's debt prior to secession?



    I am at a loss trying to understand your vindictive attitude. What particular interest is it of yours whether the people of texas are a state in the US or whether they are a friendly neighbor country like Canada? I don't understand why you have such a stake in being the boss of Texas.

    Oh well, the world has always had to deal with power hungry consolidators, and empires never last forever.
    I just want you the hell out of my country. I'm willing to go along with whatever it takes to get that done. No fair reinstitution slavery however. Otherwise we might have to come down and whip your asses like we did the last time.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #772
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,790

    Re: Texas secession?

    from Centinel

    I am at a loss trying to understand your vindictive attitude.
    Call it being an American patriot who does not want to see his beloved nation deteriorate before his eyes like a leper losing parts of themselves.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #773
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,149

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Man, the yankee hates to lose his money. They didn't care if the South went broke in freeing the slaves with no compensation. But now they are so afraid of the 'debt'. What hypocrits. Glory, glory, hallelujah.

    Quantrill

    It wasn't about slavery, yet every post is about "them damn Yankees taking away ouah niggahs."

    Interesting how they didn't feel the need to secede over that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #774
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,790

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It wasn't about slavery, yet every post is about "them damn Yankees taking away ouah niggahs."

    Interesting how they didn't feel the need to secede over that.
    exactly.

    And then we have that stubborn piece of the historical record in which those state governments actually told us that it was slavery which was a major part of their actions. Its funny how that sort of thing seems to get in the way of their revisionism.

    Declaration of Causes of Secession

    And Texas particularly went out of their way to explain how slavery was so vital to them.

    She (Texas) was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time
    and more


    In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color-- a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.
    and even clearer

    We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

    That in this free government *all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights* [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states.
    And now we sit back while the apologists can pretend again that slavery was not a pivotal issue in secession.
    Last edited by haymarket; 05-26-12 at 01:42 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #775
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Texas secession?

    When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

    These words are just as true today as they were in 1776. The political gulf between Austin and Washington has been growing for decades now.

    Washington D.C (aka The Federal Government of the US) has interferred with the States self governance by;:

    Stopping Texas from pursuing reforms of the welfare system into a work fare system

    Failing to provided adequate and functional border controls

    Forcing the State to comply with the racest and sexist policies of the collection of laws know collectively as Affirmative Action

    Disallowing Texas to redistrict itself based upon it's own desires and has forced the unpopular redistricting based upon the racest policies of Minority Representation

    Directing the State to fund, through it's budgetary processes, items which the State has chosen not to fund

    Causing finacial harm and hardships through the actions of the EPA

    Taking jobs out of the State based upon the States belief in Right to Work

    Funding corporations and supporting market segments in other States that directly compete against existing Companies in Texas that do not receive Federal Tax funding, including segments of the market such as the production of alternative energy, which Texas is the largest creater of

    etc, etc

    It is very clear that the Federal Government is progressing towards a Political intity that is oppressive to the beliefs and desires of the Poeples of Texas. As there is no treaty between the Republic of Texas and the United States of America surrendering the sovreignty of the Republic of Texas, and that Texas, after accepting the Joint Resolution of Congress of the United States retained it's debt and continued to do business as the Republic of Texas for a time after joining with the United States, then the Republic of Texas has not been truely desolved and that Texas status is that of a Independent but joined sovreign Republic in it's own right and therefore has the inherent right to remove itself from said joining with the United States as it's citizens see fit.

  6. #776
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Texas secession?

    Those talking about the Independence of Texas, aka the return of it to an Indepedent Republic should also reveiw the definition of Texas and the compromise of 1850.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._texas.svg.png

    You can see that the Republic of Texas was much larger than the current day State, any move of Independence would also have to include considerations for all the territories of the previous Republic.

  7. #777
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Texas secession?

    Anyone considering the Independence of Texas should also understand what the Republic of Texas was and the territories it covered.

    Texas secession?-texas-jpg

  8. #778
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Anyone considering the Independence of Texas should also understand what the Republic of Texas was and the territories it covered.

    Texas secession?-texas-jpg
    Yeah - Texas is that little yellow space on the east end.
    The US and Mexico figured out the rest by treaty.
    What Texas and Mexico decide to do about the green (?) area that's part of the State of Texas now would be up to them to work out.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #779
    User unapologeticdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Last Seen
    06-18-12 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    32

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy,

    Let's assume times get tough, the US dollar crashes or something of that magnitude. Would you mind Texas secession if they choose to?
    I'm sure in 51 pages this has already been answered, but here's the FAQ's on Texas secession: Texas Secede! FAQ

  10. #780
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

    These words are just as true today as they were in 1776. The political gulf between Austin and Washington has been growing for decades now.

    Washington D.C (aka The Federal Government of the US) has interferred with the States self governance by;:

    Stopping Texas from pursuing reforms of the welfare system into a work fare system

    Failing to provided adequate and functional border controls

    Forcing the State to comply with the racest and sexist policies of the collection of laws know collectively as Affirmative Action

    Disallowing Texas to redistrict itself based upon it's own desires and has forced the unpopular redistricting based upon the racest policies of Minority Representation

    Directing the State to fund, through it's budgetary processes, items which the State has chosen not to fund

    Causing finacial harm and hardships through the actions of the EPA

    Taking jobs out of the State based upon the States belief in Right to Work

    Funding corporations and supporting market segments in other States that directly compete against existing Companies in Texas that do not receive Federal Tax funding, including segments of the market such as the production of alternative energy, which Texas is the largest creater of

    etc, etc

    It is very clear that the Federal Government is progressing towards a Political intity that is oppressive to the beliefs and desires of the Poeples of Texas. As there is no treaty between the Republic of Texas and the United States of America surrendering the sovreignty of the Republic of Texas, and that Texas, after accepting the Joint Resolution of Congress of the United States retained it's debt and continued to do business as the Republic of Texas for a time after joining with the United States, then the Republic of Texas has not been truely desolved and that Texas status is that of a Independent but joined sovreign Republic in it's own right and therefore has the inherent right to remove itself from said joining with the United States as it's citizens see fit.
    I love it! If you go - and hopefully it's soon - you have to promise to take Arizona and Oklahoma with you. I'd say Louisiana too, but I kind of like New Orleans.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

Page 78 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •