View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 55 of 124 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #541
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    No, they exist all over the US. There's quite a lot in Missouri, actually.
    Links for Missouri, please?


    If it's anywhere it's gotta' be the Hillbillies ...
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #542
    User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    05-27-12 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    66

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    No, not lesser and probably greater. The North cared not for the negro.

    You misunderstand. The South didn't secede to preserve slavery. The South seceded because the North refused to treat them as equals. The North was going to use the slave issue to destroy the Souths economy.

    Quantrill
    You need to quit pretending the Confederacy=the South. Most southerners were loyal Americans and never joined nor supported the treasonous insurgency.

    Of course "the south" were not equals. Their population was far smaller. Far from insisting on being treated as equals, the slave owning elites wanted to maintain the same control over the nation they had had since colonial times.

    And that last sentence is one of the sillier conspiracy theories I've heard. Even the most hopeful abolitionist didn't dare to want more than limiting the spread of slavery in 1860.

    The slaveowning elites willingness to destroy a nation to hold onto power undid them in the end, not any imaginary conspiracy of 14 million northerners.

  3. #543
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Links for Missouri, please?


    If it's anywhere it's gotta' be the Hillbillies ...
    Sorry, I don't have a link for I was actually there for two weeks last month.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #544
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by JuanBatista View Post
    You need to quit pretending the Confederacy=the South. Most southerners were loyal Americans and never joined nor supported the treasonous insurgency.

    Of course "the south" were not equals. Their population was far smaller. Far from insisting on being treated as equals, the slave owning elites wanted to maintain the same control over the nation they had had since colonial times.

    And that last sentence is one of the sillier conspiracy theories I've heard. Even the most hopeful abolitionist didn't dare to want more than limiting the spread of slavery in 1860.

    The slaveowning elites willingness to destroy a nation to hold onto power undid them in the end, not any imaginary conspiracy of 14 million northerners.
    You don't know what your talking about.

    The South should have been equal under the law of the land. Correct? Or are you saying they shouldn't have been?

    Quantrill

  5. #545
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,785

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    I'm not sure what you are arguing. Are you saying that after winning their independence from Britain the former colonies did not become free, independent, and sovereign states?
    Are you John Remington Graham? Because if you are not, you are certainly arguing from the thesis he lays out in his books.. As one Texas-based historian described him, "John Remington Graham is little more than a neo-Confederate apologist" - who by the way hasn't even lived in the US for at least the past 15 years.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  6. #546
    User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    05-27-12 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    66

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    not sure I buy into the speculation that Texas would turn to a jihadist ****hole if it seceded.

    it is possible that a very powerful economy could flourish from day 1.. and it's also possible that it could be a somalia-like ****storm of an economy... it's impossible to know which it would be.
    Not jihadist. White supremacist. More than a few militias and secessionists are white supremacists. And the platform of the Texas Nationalist Movement specifically calls for execution or expulsion of any "Democrats, progressives, liberals, and RINOs." Which means the progressive city of Austin would be purged of most of its people too.

    Losing its capital as well as a third of its territory and populaton couldn't help but lead to chaos and an economy in the dumpster. If you doubt that, just look at how prosperous Lebanon was before its civil war.

  7. #547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I'm not arguing anything - I'd just like to see you back up your claim that this was the case. They signed the Declaration of Independence as the "United States of America" and pledged everything they had to each other. What other documents did they sign, issue, or whatever that showed they were ever completely independent of the United States?
    Treaty of Paris: "His Brittanic Majesty acknowledges the said United States, viz., New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, to be free sovereign and Independent States; that he treats with them as such, and for himself his Heirs & Successors, relinquishes all claims to the Government, Propriety, and Territorial Rights of the same and every Part thereof."

  8. #548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Are you John Remington Graham? Because if you are not, you are certainly arguing from the thesis he lays out in his books.. As one Texas-based historian described him, "John Remington Graham is little more than a neo-Confederate apologist" - who by the way hasn't even lived in the US for at least the past 15 years.
    Nope. Never heard of the guy.

  9. #549
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by JuanBatista View Post
    Not jihadist. White supremacist. More than a few militias and secessionists are white supremacists. And the platform of the Texas Nationalist Movement specifically calls for execution or expulsion of any "Democrats, progressives, liberals, and RINOs." Which means the progressive city of Austin would be purged of most of its people too.

    Losing its capital as well as a third of its territory and populaton couldn't help but lead to chaos and an economy in the dumpster. If you doubt that, just look at how prosperous Lebanon was before its civil war.
    yeah, so you said in your paper... still not buying it an an accurate depiction of what happened in Texas, or what will happen in Texas.

  10. #550
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a link for I was actually there for two weeks last month.
    Where? Near Branson?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •