View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 47 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #461
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,017

    Re: Texas secession?

    Too bad for your argument that they gave up much of that sovereignty to join the larger unit of the USA.
    Last edited by haymarket; 05-21-12 at 01:00 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #462
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Too bad for your argument that they gave up that sovereignty to join the larger unit of the USA.
    If states are not sovereign what's the point of having them in the first place? Why not just let DC decide?

  3. #463
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,017

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    If states are not sovereign what's the point of having them in the first place? Why not just let DC decide?
    Perhaps as a functional layer of local government.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #464
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,552

    Re: Texas secession?

    As a native Texan, and as I stated in an earlier post. It doesn't matter whether or not Texas could secede tomorrow - meaning without out any legal hitches what-so-ever with the Federal Government. It all boils down to what it cost and what resources are needed to run an independent country.

    Texas doesn't have the economic or resource strength to become its own country...period. It would never survive being an independent country. Well, maybe it could if we in Texas want to become another Haiti or the like.

  5. #465
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Too bad for your argument that they gave up much of that sovereignty to join the larger unit of the USA.
    I'd love to see your evidence that the states gave up their sovereignty by entering into an compact with each other. States enter into treaties and compacts all the time. They do not automatically give up their sovereignty by doing so.

  6. #466
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    The problem with something like this is how far the "independence" idea can stretch to. If Texas or any other state can secede from the U.S., then wouldn't it be the right of an individual to secede with his own property?
    I like where this is going. It is well within their rights to secede from any form of government, otherwise the government is coercive.

    Another issue is that people worry about "States Rights" all the time without much thought to our territories. Centinel sees that, if there was a civil war over Texas, that would turn Texas into an occupied territory, and he sees that as wrong; however, we do already own territories such as Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa that do not have representation in Congress yet have to listen to federal law anyway.
    A national shame.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #467
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    As a native Texan, and as I stated in an earlier post. It doesn't matter whether or not Texas could secede tomorrow - meaning without out any legal hitches what-so-ever with the Federal Government. It all boils down to what it cost and what resources are needed to run an independent country.

    Texas doesn't have the economic or resource strength to become its own country...period. It would never survive being an independent country. Well, maybe it could if we in Texas want to become another Haiti or the like.
    So Texas, a very prosperous state, would suddenly become a third-world nation if it was to secede? This is pretty ridiculous. They have many times more capital than Haiti, and enacting policies that encouraged capital accumulation would make it a very rich nation indeed.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #468
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Too bad for your argument that they gave up much of that sovereignty to join the larger unit of the USA.
    The states delegated various specific powers to the federal government. In no way does this action repeal or limit sovereignty. Furthermore, any power which has been delegated may be un-delegated in the future.

    del·e·gate
    verb \-ˌgāt\
    : to entrust to another

  9. #469
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    So Texas, a very prosperous state, would suddenly become a third-world nation if it was to secede? This is pretty ridiculous. They have many times more capital than Haiti, and enacting policies that encouraged capital accumulation would make it a very rich nation indeed.
    Saying it would be 3rd World may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there's no question that it would hurt Texas economically.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #470
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Saying it would be 3rd World may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there's no question that it would hurt Texas economically.
    Wouldn't a share of $16 trillion national debt hurt Texas as well?

Page 47 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •