View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 27 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #261
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Texas secession?

    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  2. #262
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Something tells me that when that balance sheet is added up, Texas would come out on the short end.
    maybe, maybe not.... it would take an awful lot of accountants on both sides to figure it out.

  3. #263
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post

    Regardless, my challenge still stands for anyone willing to take it. Show where the founders intended the introduction to add power and create a country were no one was able to leave.
    You and any others may leave any time you want to leave and there is no Berlin Wall keeping you here. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #264
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You and any others may leave any time you want to leave and there is no Berlin Wall keeping you here. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.
    You forgot to tell him to leave his money behind.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #265
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy,

    Let's assume times get tough, the US dollar crashes or something of that magnitude. Would you mind Texas secession if they choose to?

    Personally, I'd love it, but it ain't gonna happen.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #266
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You and any others may leave any time you want to leave and there is no Berlin Wall keeping you here. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.
    You'd best be careful about who you're wanting to leave, as we are likely the ones paying a huge chunk of the bills.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #267
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Texas secession?

    Ok, here's why it's unconstituional

    All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation
    . Article VI, US Constitution

    The formal name of the Articles of Conferation is "The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union." Since the States entered into a perpetual union with the Articles, that "Engagement" is still valid under the Constitution.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Ok, here's why it's unconstituional

    . Article VI, US Constitution

    The formal name of the Articles of Conferation is "The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union." Since the States entered into a perpetual union with the Articles, that "Engagement" is still valid under the Constitution.
    Perpetual Union ideas on the country were only established when Chase and Lincoln needed it to be so. Before that it was decided that the country was a collection of sovereign countries. I reject your argument on the basis of a lack of evidence before Chase and Lincoln.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You forgot to tell him to leave his money behind.
    No, he told me that before when he supported current law on giving the government money when you leave.

  10. #270
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Perpetual Union ideas on the country were only established when Chase and Lincoln needed it to be so. Before that it was decided that the country was a collection of sovereign countries. I reject your argument on the basis of a lack of evidence before Chase and Lincoln.
    The Articles were long before Lincoln. There was no argument along those lines because nobody tried to secede before that, so it was a moot point. To say that the argument was never made before is like saying "Nobody thought Obamacare was unconstitutional in 1980."

    It wasn't an issue before that, so yes, nobody used the idea until they needed to. Because it wasn't necessary back then.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 27 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •