View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 23 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #221
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,581
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Yeah, because we're all beer swilling rednecks
    Or I could have been joking around based on some of the sillyness of the last couple years politically from those states. In seriousness, Texas will never secede. Standing on their own two feet would be hard.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Texas secession?

    Wow, what's going on here, 23 pages so far?

    It was not an invitation to secede, but a hypothetical situation.
    Last edited by Canell; 05-19-12 at 06:05 PM.

  3. #223
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    This country is the of its citizens, not some subset of them. Thats the moral justification.
    Because you say so?

    As regards Goshin's question the only moral problem I can think of is how the rest of the U.S could be repaid for all the money it put into Texas's infrastructure, agriculture subsidies etc. Not that its an insurmountable problem just one that would need thinking about.
    Last edited by Red_Dave; 05-19-12 at 06:05 PM.

  4. #224
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Chicken Little, I think the sky is falling. You don't think private companies would come in and take over those oil refineries? Where do you think the money comes from to run businesses? The government just doles out wealth and we are the happy recipients? This is hilarious.
    Oh yay, small business will save us by producing a fraction of the resources we require. As I said, it's not about the government, it's about nobody in the union doing business with us.



    Lol, because England never did business with us after we seceded. This is some great stuff.
    Hooray, we get BP... if they continue business with us. I don't know if you've noticed this, but the world has changed a lot since the 1860's.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #225
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,779

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    I see the federal government as a voluntary compact among a group of sovereign states. If any state wishes to leave, they can. The people of the other 49 states are not the owners of Texas.
    Another good theory that wouldn't work out as advertised if attempted in real life.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #226
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or I could have been joking around based on some of the sillyness of the last couple years politically from those states. In seriousness, Texas will never secede. Standing on their own two feet would be hard.
    Well, it's a sensitive issue, since we're constantly regarded by non Texans as racist, alcoholic, redneck morons that beat our wives, and shoot Mexicans for lulz.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #227
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,694

    Re: Texas secession?

    What type of financial costs would there be with such a situation?
    considering the borderline and the cost of fencing it off from the rest of the USA.
    Wouldn't that make it virtually impossible to then make that move?
    they can pay for the fence with their oil.
    What is the share of the national debt that each citizen owes - Texans included? If they wanted to leave, should then not pay their bills before being doing that?
    we might be better off writing off the debt, as long as they all go and stay away.
    What about Social Security and medicare?
    They lose it all
    What about federal property and buildings in Texas?
    they have to buy it
    What about jobs Texans hold connected to the Federal government?
    they are all fired
    What happens to the Texans who do not want to secede?
    they get 1 year to get out, or else....then after learning english, we let them emigrate, at the back of the line
    What happens to other Americans who want to then move to Texas after secession?
    the average IQ goes up in the USA, and down in Texas
    Who becomes responsible for the defense of Texas?
    Texas
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,056

    Re: Texas secession?

    Thank you for replying Utah Bill. Great job!

    However, the one area I would disagree is the payment of their share of the federal debt. That should be done before anything else is made official.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #229
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,694

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Thank you for replying Utah Bill. Great job!

    However, the one area I would disagree is the payment of their share of the federal debt. That should be done before anything else is made official.
    you are correct, I forgot to consider the fact that it was 3 Texans who got us into wars we didn't need to be involved in....LBJ, the Bush, and the Shrub....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #230
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    55,071

    Re: Texas secession?

    Forget about Texas...what if Colorado wanted to secede? Or Illinois? How would that work out?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •