View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 19 of 124 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #181
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Always and everywhere we should support secession. Even Jefferson admitted as much. If we ever want a chance to have individuals participating in self-government, then secession is the only way to achieve it. We need governments reigning over smaller and smaller areas. Ideally, I would want that to extend all the way down to the family, but for now, state secession would be a great start.
    Thomas Jefferson enters the thread



    lol
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  2. #182
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Prove it.
    I think I already did

    And what does it have to do with secession?

    Quantrill
    yeaaaah right.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Always and everywhere we should support secession. Even Jefferson admitted as much. If we ever want a chance to have individuals participating in self-government, then secession is the only way to achieve it. We need governments reigning over smaller and smaller areas. Ideally, I would want that to extend all the way down to the family, but for now, state secession would be a great start.
    I agree with you. I really don't see why the right to secession and self-government isn't more widely supported. This would result in smaller, more personal government, answerable to their populations, as opposed to special interests.

    Take a look at Iceland. When the politicians in other countries were busy figuring out how to kowtow to the international bankers and screw over their people, the people of Iceland took control and said "No way". I don't think this could ever have happened in a more populous country.

  4. #184
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    I agree with you. I really don't see why the right to secession and self-government isn't more widely supported. This would result in smaller, more personal government, answerable to their populations, as opposed to special interests.

    Take a look at Iceland. When the politicians in other countries were busy figuring out how to kowtow to the international bankers and screw over their people, the people of Iceland took control and said "No way". I don't think this could ever have happened in a more populous country.
    Well Iceland is a united people, America is a collection of squabbling fractions.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,839

    Re: Texas secession?

    A very practical question here: let us put aside the political argument about if they could or could not. Lets assume Texas can leave if the people so desire it.

    What type of financial costs would there be with such a situation?

    Wouldn't that make it virtually impossible to then make that move?

    What is the share of the national debt that each citizen owes - Texans included? If they wanted to leave, should then not pay their bills before being doing that?

    What about Social Security and medicare?

    What about federal property and buildings in Texas?
    What about jobs Texans hold connected to the Federal government?

    What happens to all this?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    A very practical question here: let us put aside the political argument about if they could or could not. Lets assume Texas can leave if the people so desire it.

    What type of financial costs would there be with such a situation?

    Wouldn't that make it virtually impossible to then make that move?

    What is the share of the national debt that each citizen owes - Texans included? If they wanted to leave, should then not pay their bills before being doing that?

    What about Social Security and medicare?

    What about federal property and buildings in Texas?
    What about jobs Texans hold connected to the Federal government?

    What happens to all this?
    None of that matters, hay. The most important thing is the principle.

  7. #187
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,904

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Lol, "prior to 1861". If you're gonna move goalposts to fit your argument, you might want to be more subtle about it.
    So far as I can tell, he hasn't moved the goalposts. He has asked repeatedly about BEFORE 1861.

  8. #188
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,839

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    None of that matters, hay. The most important thing is the principle.
    I strongly suspect you are correct. This is merely the latest excuse to trumpet far right ideology.

    Sorry for trying to introduce some practical considerations into the mix.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    So far as I can tell, he hasn't moved the goalposts. He has asked repeatedly about BEFORE 1861.
    ....after insisting that it's still a legitimate right in our contemporary times. He's hedged his bets, so either way I lose the argument, cause he's a dishonest debater.

    And were a state to try it again, the same thing would occur. Your free. Just don't try to leave.
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 05-19-12 at 04:25 PM.

  10. #190
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'm not talking about a legal justification, I'm talking about a moral one.

    Why does the will of those who don't live in the state, trump the will of those who DO live there, to be an independent nation instead of subject to the whims of others living 1500 miles away?

    I'm looking for a good argument, based in moral/ethical or principled values, that says why the people of a state (especially one that used to be its own country), can't decide that they want their land to be an independent land. I'd be genuinely interested to hear one, because I'm having trouble thinking one up myself.

    If the US could seceed from the UK, why can't Texas seceed from the US?

    If the fundamental concept of private property is that you take what's there and mix your labor with it, and take ownership of the product thereby.... how can anyone who doesn't live in Texas claim the right to overrule the will of those who DO live in Texas?

    I'd like to hear if someone can find a moral/ethical argument to justify this.
    This country is the of its citizens, not some subset of them. Thats the moral justification.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •