View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 120 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #1191
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Would you like to show me the language in the preamble that restricts a state's ability to withdraw from the union.

    The preamble explains the reasons for creating the constitution.

    Article I, section 10 lists the prohibitions on the states. There is no prohibition against a state exiting the union.

    Where do you see such a prohibition?
    Do you see any states seceding? If the constitution doesn't say anything about seceding then why aren't the states seceding?
    Last edited by Moot; 05-29-12 at 06:48 PM.

  2. #1192
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    There is no "my" or "your" natural law. There is only the law of nature.

    And in nature no species of animal enslaves another of its own species to perform labor.

    Therefore, slavery is goes against natural law.

    And so the South had no justification for seceding because their reason to secede - to continue slavery - went against the human rights as seen by natural law of the slaves they wished to maintain.
    My higher law says a state shoud be able to secede when it wants to. You say there is ony one law of nature. Where is that written? Who decided what it was? You Im sure as you agree with this so called higher law.

    So, you say the North was right in allowing John Brown to terrorize the South. It was right for the Secret Six to fund this operation. Even though the South was obeying the constitution.

    This is why the South seceded. They had no protections under the law. And the lawbreakers were lauded as heroes in the north. And they do so under the belief that they are just because they come under a higher law. Then when the South secedes, the South is the villian, bcause they (the north) say the constitution which they (the north) dont follow, doesn't allow for secession. What hpocrits.

    Quantrill
    Last edited by Quantrill; 05-29-12 at 07:04 PM.

  3. #1193
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Do you see any states seceding? If the constitution doesn't say anything about seceding then why aren't the states seceding?
    Because it was made clear that the Fed. govt. will go to war over secession.

    Quantrill

  4. #1194
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It has already been explained to you that the power to secede DOES NOT EXIST. As such, it is NOT included in the Tenth Amendment language reserving other powers to the states. A power that does not exist, is not reserved to anyone because it does not exist.

    I provided for you the exact text of the writings of Chief Justice Chase and his references to the US Constitution in his reasoning and his decision. If that is not good enough for you - so be it.

    It was good enough for the majority of the US Supreme Court.
    It was good enough for the nation.
    And it is good enough for me.
    It's good enough for me too. But I think you might be trying to prove a negative. For instance, if the right to secession doesn't exist in the constitution then how can you prove it doesn't exist....or something like that? However, in this case I think the answer might be "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." If the states had the right to secede, then they would have seceded. But the fact that not a single state has seceded even though some want to, suggests they don't have the right to secede.

  5. #1195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Do you see any states seceding? If the constitution doesn't say anything about seceding then why aren't the states seceding?
    They may not wish to. They may secede; they don't have to secede.

  6. #1196
    Educator Quantrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    To Quantrill:

    Do you respect the institution of slavery?
    I respect the Souths right to slavery in 1860 as protected by the Constitution of the United States. Which self-righteouss damnyankees didn't and don't.

    Quantrill

  7. #1197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    I respect the Souths right to slavery in 1860 as protected by the Constitution of the United States....

    right, cause' black people were just property...not human beings.

    when it comes to the Civil War, the South has ZERO moral standing.
    Last edited by Thunder; 05-29-12 at 07:19 PM.

  8. #1198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It has already been explained to you that the power to secede DOES NOT EXIST.
    States may do anything not prohibited by the constitution. How can you say leaving the union doesn't exist. It is a thing that can be done, a power that can be exercised. Are you denying the very existence of a concept? WTF?

    As such, it is NOT included in the Tenth Amendment language reserving other powers to the states. A power that does not exist, is not reserved to anyone because it does not exist.
    So the thing you are describing to me doesn't exist? There is no concept of secession? Well if there's not such thing as secession, well then I guess states can't do it.

    WTF are you talking about? Of course secession exists. And because secession is not prohibited to the states, it is allowed.

    I provided for you the exact text of the writings of Chief Justice Chase and his references to the US Constitution in his reasoning and his decision. If that is not good enough for you - so be it.
    His reasoning is ridiculous. He totally flubbed this one. Article I, section 10 places no restriction on a state leaving the union. The preamble places no restriction on a state leaving the union. What is not prohibited to the states is allowed.

    Sorry, but that decision is not based upon the rules written down in the constitution. It was based upon Justice Chase's beliefs.

    It was good enough for the majority of the US Supreme Court.
    It was good enough for the nation.
    And it is good enough for me.
    Because it fits your self-imposed beliefs.

  9. #1199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    States may do anything not prohibited by the constitution....
    The Constitution doesn't prohibit genocide.

    Does that mean Delaware is allowed to commit genocide?

  10. #1200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The Constitution doesn't prohibit genocide.

    Does that mean Delaware is allowed to commit genocide?
    Yes, the constitution does prevent genocide. No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •