View Poll Results: Texas secession?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime they want

    69 60.00%
  • Bad times only

    2 1.74%
  • No way

    41 35.65%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Other

    3 2.61%
Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1234

Thread: Texas secession?

  1. #1131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    As I have already told you - there simply is no such power that you are describing.
    Yes, you keep repeating that assertion, yet you steadfastly refuse to offer any constitutional backing for this claim.

    All actions that are not prohibited to the states are allowed. This much is clear from the plain text of the constitution. Unless you can show us some prohibition against a state leaving the union, we must conclude that such an act is allowed.

  2. #1132
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,860

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Yes, you keep repeating that assertion, yet you steadfastly refuse to offer any constitutional backing for this claim.

    All actions that are not prohibited to the states are allowed. This much is clear from the plain text of the constitution. Unless you can show us some prohibition against a state leaving the union, we must conclude that such an act is allowed.
    the Constitution says nothing about lots and lots and lots of stuff which floats around in peoples minds.

    So what?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #1133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What is it exactly that is your point?
    Answer the question and all will be revealed.

  4. #1134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,860

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Answer the question and all will be revealed.
    8.4...... I think.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #1135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No it does not. The White decisions says there is no such power - reserved or otherwise.
    Which we have already dealt with in this thread and other threads like it over and over again.

  6. #1136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    but but the tenth amendment says they have such power,ofall the arguments you could have made you made the weakest all,an argument trumped by the 10nth,you would have been better off using court desicions rather than just saying they werent given the power.
    Exactly. The 10th amendment clearly says that anything that is not prohibited to the states is allowed. Since there is no specific prohibition against a state leaving the union, it is therefore allowed.

  7. #1137
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No it does not. The White decisions says there is no such power - reserved or otherwise.
    but the tenth says all powers not restricted are granted to the states.i couldnt find anywhere saying they couldnt in the constitution.

    your weak argument is arguing against the tenth,by saying they were never given any power,but the tenth says the states can any power not prohibited to them.therefore it would be they were restricted from by the court not they were not granted the power,because the tenth grants states that power unless a higher power has taken away that power.

    in the case of secession the only thing that their really is to argue is court cases,because the constitution does not specify,im not sure the reasoning behind the founding fathers not adressing the issue,but it wasnt adressed.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  8. #1138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,860

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Exactly. The 10th amendment clearly says that anything that is not prohibited to the states is allowed. Since there is no specific prohibition against a state leaving the union, it is therefore allowed.
    So why did your opinion not prevail?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #1139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the Constitution says nothing about lots and lots and lots of stuff which floats around in peoples minds.

    So what?
    So, if the constitution does not prohibit a state from doing an act, the state may do the act.

  10. #1140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,860

    Re: Texas secession?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    So, if the constitution does not prohibit a state from doing an act, the state may do the act.
    So why is your opinion the losing opinion on this issue when you see it so crystal clear?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •