View Poll Results: It only counts as an American Manufactured good if...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any of the parts are made in America

    0 0%
  • 25% of the parts are American

    0 0%
  • 50% of the parts are American

    4 36.36%
  • 75% of the parts are American

    0 0%
  • Nothing is American made because there's always something built outside the US in any product

    1 9.09%
  • American workers, in an American plant, making a product in America

    6 54.55%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-29-13 @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,106

    Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    I was recently told that if parts used in making a product are not from America, then it isn't an American manufactured good.

    Do you agree with this?

    I know my answer. I'm curious what the overall opinion might be.

    For clarification:
    When I mean manufactured in America, I mean manufactured in America. Is it, or is it not, an American Manufactured good?

    Defining what "American Made" means is subjective at best. Undefinable at worst.

    As it relates to the topic at hand, some individuals say it is not manufactured in America, because the parts used are not made in America.

    But every single product built in the US, has foreign made parts. So effectively nothing is made in the US. If that's your belief, please vote that way.

    If you believe there must be some arbitrary percentage of US made parts, then vote that.

    If you simply believe that an American manufactured good, only requires that American workers, in an American plant, make an product in America, regardless of where the parts came from, then vote that way.
    Last edited by Sparkles; 05-12-12 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Clarification.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    It depends on what you mean by "Made in America". If you mean each individual part that goes into a larger product, including the raw materials, then no, almost no product is completely "Made in America".

    Usually, it means somewhere between the middle and end of the manufacturing and assembly of the final product. For example, my Subaru is a Japanese car; technically, the owning company of Subaru, Fuji Heavy Industries in Tokyo Japan, is the sole owner of that specific car, they have patents to it. It was designed and tooled by the Japanese. However, some nations have national branches of Subaru. The US, for instance, has a manufacturing plant in Georgia of Subaru cars for the American market. The individual pieces (suspension, engine block, brakes, transmission) are partially manufactured in a Japanese Subaru plant, then they are shipped into the US to be finished and put together to make the hatchback I own now. I bought it from a local, independent dealer of Subarus.

    Is my car "American Made"? It was put together here in America from Japanese designs and parts. It's hard to say. That's globalization. It's also why we can afford the products we wonder about.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-29-13 @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,106

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "Made in America". If you mean each individual part that goes into a larger product, including the raw materials, then no, almost no product is completely "Made in America".

    Usually, it means somewhere between the middle and end of the manufacturing and assembly of the final product. For example, my Subaru is a Japanese car; technically, the owning company of Subaru, Fuji Heavy Industries in Tokyo Japan, is the sole owner of that specific car, they have patents to it. It was designed and tooled by the Japanese. However, some nations have national branches of Subaru. The US, for instance, has a manufacturing plant in Georgia of Subaru cars for the American market. The individual pieces (suspension, engine block, brakes, transmission) are partially manufactured in a Japanese Subaru plant, then they are shipped into the US to be finished and put together to make the hatchback I own now. I bought it from a local, independent dealer of Subarus.

    Is my car "American Made"? It was put together here in America from Japanese designs and parts. It's hard to say. That's globalization. It's also why we can afford the products we wonder about.
    Did my edit clear up what I meant?

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    Made in America, or assembled in America?

    My rough determination is that something has to be 50%+ to be categorized as "made in America". Whether that 50%+ is value of the parts, number of parts, or something else, it's a moving target.
    Last edited by radcen; 05-12-12 at 06:27 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Did my edit clear up what I meant?
    Well, it doesn't change my response.

    When I mean manufactured in America, I mean manufactured in America. Is it, or is it not, an American Manufactured good?
    My car was manufactured here in America from Japanese made parts. Manufactured is an ambiguous word; there are many, many steps in the manufacturing of any products, especially the more complex products. Wood benches some guy in Georgia made from trees in his backyard is a 100% made in America product, but those products don't usually make up a large percentage of the economy. Wind turbines being installed by Xcel Energy in Michigan are not 100% made in America, but that doesn't mean we aren't getting benefit from them.

    Defining what "American Made" means is subjective at best. Undefinable at worst.
    Agreed, "made" doesn't really tell us anything. Even an "American Made" hammer could have Russian made heads and handles; one American guy just screws them together for it to deserve a "Made in America" sticker.

    As it relates to the topic at hand, some individuals say it is not manufactured in America, because the parts used are not made in America.

    But every single product built in the US, has foreign made parts. So effectively nothing is made in the US. If that's your belief, please vote that way.
    No, America produces plenty in technology, medicine, financial investments, global services, communications and countless other products. We lost lots of manufacturing jobs as we gained lots technology and other associated jobs. It's all a wash in the big picture. And really, America still manufactures a lot of physical products. Not all the loss of manufacturing jobs have been through free trade agreements; technology and robotics have replaced a good chunk of the physical work of manufacturing since the 40's and 50's.

    If you believe there must be some arbitrary percentage of US made parts, then vote that.
    It's be nice, but it's almost a waste of time to try to trace the origin of reach product. My view of helping the American economy is to buy products from local vendors. All stores sell the same Thai made shirts or German made coffee maker. But if you want to stimulate ground up commercial demand, buying these global products from a local retailer rather than an international company keeps more money within a smaller, more local economy, where relatively small amounts of money can have larger effects.

    If you simply believe that an American manufactured good, only requires that American workers, in an American plant, make an product in America, regardless of where the parts came from, then vote that way.
    Good luck with that.

  6. #6
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    How about have a tag on the item that says, "44.2% American value added," or something like that.

  7. #7
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I was recently told that if parts used in making a product are not from America, then it isn't an American manufactured good.

    Do you agree with this?

    I know my answer. I'm curious what the overall opinion might be.

    For clarification:
    When I mean manufactured in America, I mean manufactured in America. Is it, or is it not, an American Manufactured good?

    Defining what "American Made" means is subjective at best. Undefinable at worst.

    As it relates to the topic at hand, some individuals say it is not manufactured in America, because the parts used are not made in America.

    But every single product built in the US, has foreign made parts. So effectively nothing is made in the US. If that's your belief, please vote that way.

    If you believe there must be some arbitrary percentage of US made parts, then vote that.

    If you simply believe that an American manufactured good, only requires that American workers, in an American plant, make an product in America, regardless of where the parts came from, then vote that way.

    The only time something should be considered American Made is if all the finished parts are made in American put together by American workers. Personally I would like to see a percentage to indicate how much of the product is actually made in America.Its deceptive advertising to say that something is made in American if only 50% of it was actually made in America or if it was only assembled here with all the parts made somewhere.Its like saying something is a 100% orange juice on a carton or bottle if its from concentrate or something says 100% alcohol in big letters and little tiny letters that say "in 94% water" on a bottle of beer.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #8
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    I've actually worked on moving portions of computer products to Taiwan and border maquiladoras. I think it's become near impossible even for a US manufacturer to know what percentage of his product is made here. An example is philips screws with integral conical washers I specified. Originally the washers were coined, a bur removed, so they didn't cut the plating on the part they were fastening. About a year later I discovered that the coining process was omitted w/o notice to the vendor that stocked our bins on the line, w/o notice to the bulk supplier to our local vendor, etc. And no way to find out though many questions asked. I suspect that the screws manufacturing was moved from the US to China or India. No way to find out and now no source of a quality screw.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 05-12-12 at 07:46 PM.

  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The only time something should be considered American Made is if all the finished parts are made in American put together by American workers. ... or something says 100% alcohol in big letters and little tiny letters that say "in 94% water" on a bottle of beer.
    In the US beer is not allowed to be 6% by regulation. So you've been screwed like me. (see above)

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-29-13 @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,106

    re: Are goods manufactured in American, American Manufactured goods [W: 41]

    In 2008, I worked for a company that produced a product for commercial vehicles. The exact purpose isn't important, but it was sold in the US for fire trucks, ambulances, commercial buses. It was also sold world wide, in Egypt, China, India, and a few European countries.

    The product itself was built from the ground up. We started with bare circuit boards, and built it into a complete product.

    (generic bare circuit board)

    We placed the resisters, the capacitors, the diodes, coils and so on, into the board by hand. We soldered them. We clipped and trimmed the backs. We washed and sprayed them. Everything placed on that bare board, was put there by us, by hand.

    There were actually 3 boards built this way, all by hand. The 3 boards were then sent to the assembly line, where they are bolted, screwed, or riveted into place. The case was then assembled around the boards, into a complete unit. The power connectors installed, switches connected, and the case lastly screwed together.

    Now out of all the parts in the entire product, the only thing I can say for certain that was built in the US, was two large relays, the case, and the boards. However the boards were made from imported silicon wafers, and the case I'm fairly sure was stamped from imported metal sheets. The relays are unknown because they are too expensive to break apart, and that would be the only way to find out where the insides came from, but they were at least assembled in the US.

    Nothing else that went into these products was made in the US, as far as I could tell.

    In short, only about 10%, if that much, were parts made here in the US. And in all likelihood, I wager it was much much lower. Perhaps about 2% to 4%.

    Nevertheless, each shipment of these, represented about 3 days worth of work by roughly a dozen individual laborers, for a total of about 150 labor hours.

    To take a mess of parts in bins like these


    And change it into a finished product like this


    Neither picture is from my company. But when we were building these units, all the parts would be in a huge shelf of bins, like the first picture. But when it was done, it would be an a large black case, with a connector hanging out one side, a bit like that battery tester there.

    So back to the question at hand......

    Is this American Manufacturing? Or does all that hard work, and hours of labor putting a product together not matter at all, because only 10% of the individual parts, were made here in America?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •