View Poll Results: Are you pro life or pro choice

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pro Life

    22 31.88%
  • Pro Choice

    47 68.12%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 184

Thread: Are you pro life or pro choice

  1. #71
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    I'm seeing some ingenious value in posting this poll outside the Abortion forum, as a number of people who don't normally play in the Abortion forum are playing in this thread, thus heterogeneously increasing the variety of opinion over the typically homogeneously limited polemic perspective normally found in the Abortion forum.

    I'll probably get cards and letters on this one, but I'm neither ideology, pro-choice or pro-life.

    I'm an ontologist in general with a substantive minor in epistemology, and I believe that seeking, finding, and presenting the facts and their meaningful truth leads to the most likely optimum resolution of the irrational conflict that is so pervasive in the Abortion debate.

    Ultimately, if I would have to come up with a perspective on the matter that describes my personal position on the issue, I would find myself aligning in likely the only manner I do with former President Clinton, that abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

    Thus I support Roe v. Wade and Webster v. Reproductive Health Services, keeping abortion safe and legal up to a humane point, and bringing the new scientific state-of-the-art essentially 100% safe, effective, and convenient conception prevention "pills" for both men and women through FDA testing and cheaply to market, continuing the journey on the road to making abortion rare.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  2. #72
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Why do you feel that it's wrong morally to terminate it?
    I think I've pretty much told you. I don't know how to make it more clear. I think once the fetus is viable, there has been sufficient time (during the first trimester) to have made that decision. Most all abortions take place within this period. For me, its a weighing process, once you are past that point, I give less weight to the right of choice and put more on the right of the fetus to be born. However, this is my own belief and I would never be so arrogant to believe that I have the right to impose my belief on any other person, nor do I believe that I and/or the government is in a better position than the woman and her doctor to make that decision. If someone I loved were in that position, I would certainly tell them what I think they should do, but I would make sure that they know that I would respect whatever decision that they made and I would love and support them.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,014

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I think I've pretty much told you. I don't know how to make it more clear. I think once the fetus is viable, there has been sufficient time (during the first trimester) to have made that decision. Most all abortions take place within this period. For me, its a weighing process, once you are past that point, I give less weight to the right of choice and put more on the right of the fetus to be born. However, this is my own belief and I would never be so arrogant to believe that I have the right to impose my belief on any other person, nor do I believe that I and/or the government is in a better position than the woman and her doctor to make that decision. If someone I loved were in that position, I would certainly tell them what I think they should do, but I would make sure that they know that I would respect whatever decision that they made and I would love and support them.
    I'm not asking about your reasoning in terms of legality, I get that, I understand that...

    What I want to know and better understand is why you feel the moral need to "give weight" to the fetus at all? Why is it that the fetus gains any "weight" for you on a personal level? That's what I'm asking about to better understand. And you haven't really pretty much told me. You just keep saying you feel morally its wrong or that you give more weight to the fetus, but that's telling me an action you're taking or a view point you have but not the WHY? I'm asking...why? Why is it wrong? Why do you feel a moral issue with it? Why does a fetus have "weight" for you personally.

    Not asking, nor caring, about your stance with imposing it on others. I fully get and understand your stance that you do not believe your personal opinion should apply to others...but I'm trying to understand what your personal opinion is.

  4. #74
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And then I'd laugh at you because you apparently have no understanding of how conversation and society work.

    Find me any labeling of a group in politics that is regularly used at that length?

    What you've just established is a situation in which those who now identify as Pro-Choice would be calling everyone "Pro-Rights" and "Anti-Rights" and everyone who now identifies as Pro-Life" calling everyone "Pro-Abortoin" or "Anti-Abortoin" and both of them being technically right in their manner of shortening your absurdly long classification.

    That's the issue with group classificatoins, they're broad and generalized but they have to be broad and generalized because no one wants to type out a name of a group that is almost as long as one of my posts

    I get that you don't want to identify as one of those labels becuase of that, but I think its rather petty and childish of you to add a post into the thread with no real answer what so ever to the topic other than to bitch about the fact the OP used the almost universally accepted non-spin versions of the name and decided to label it as "spinning"

    Let me quote the poll question:

    Are you pro life or pro choice
    I emphasized one of those words for you. It is an important one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,014

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Let me quote the poll question:

    I emphasized one of those words for you. It is an important one.
    I know the poll question....I actually attempted to not pretend I'm obtuse or act problematic simply because I didn't like exactly how the OP phrased things and actually ansewred the question as best as possible in relation to my own views. Perhaps once you do that you can try and get back to emphasizing words in that question for me.

    And answering "I'm neither as they don't actually describe me, I'm ..... [blah]" would be answering that poll questoin that's the topic. You instead just decided to bitch about the labels that are rather universally accepted and are the farthest from "spin" of any of the regularly used ways to describing the two groups. You're not a dumb person, so you at least have a decent enough understanding of what's meant by "pro-life" and "pro-choice" to still give your opinion of your own stances on things in relation to the two. However you seem to just wanted to nitpick the words rather than address the topics question which leads to these types of discussions.

  6. #76
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not asking about your reasoning in terms of legality, I get that, I understand that...

    What I want to know and better understand is why you feel the moral need to "give weight" to the fetus at all? Why is it that the fetus gains any "weight" for you on a personal level? That's what I'm asking about to better understand. And you haven't really pretty much told me. You just keep saying you feel morally its wrong or that you give more weight to the fetus, but that's telling me an action you're taking or a view point you have but not the WHY? I'm asking...why? Why is it wrong? Why do you feel a moral issue with it? Why does a fetus have "weight" for you personally.

    Not asking, nor caring, about your stance with imposing it on others. I fully get and understand your stance that you do not believe your personal opinion should apply to others...but I'm trying to understand what your personal opinion is.
    I don't know how to say it any more clearly. As the fetus gets closer and closer to life then I believe that it becomes more and more morally objectionable to killing it. I have no issues with abortion during the first trimester, nor do I equate abortion with the murder of a person. What more can I say to you. I think my position has been explained ad naseum here.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #77
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I know the poll question....I actually attempted to not pretend I'm obtuse or act problematic simply because I didn't like exactly how the OP phrased things and actually ansewred the question as best as possible in relation to my own views. Perhaps once you do that you can try and get back to emphasizing words in that question for me.

    And answering "I'm neither as they don't actually describe me, I'm ..... [blah]" would be answering that poll questoin that's the topic. You instead just decided to bitch about the labels that are rather universally accepted and are the farthest from "spin" of any of the regularly used ways to describing the two groups. You're not a dumb person, so you at least have a decent enough understanding of what's meant by "pro-life" and "pro-choice" to still give your opinion of your own stances on things in relation to the two. However you seem to just wanted to nitpick the words rather than address the topics question which leads to these types of discussions.
    While I do not like the labels in general, as I also have commented no set of labels is perfect. However, since this thread asked what I was, I figured that the context would make clear what I meant when I simply flatly stated that I rejected those labels.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #78
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Pro-Choice and Anti-Choice are the most appropriate labels of any.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,014

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Pro-Choice and Anti-Choice are the most appropriate labels of any.
    No, they're really not, as they take the mindset of one side...erroniously place that mindset onto the intent and views of the other side unfairly....and then judges the otherside based on that. It is no more accurate than saying it should be Pro-Abortoin and Anti-Abortion because you're in favor of abortoins being allowed to happen.

    Pro-Choice most accurately, in short hand, describes the generalized view point of that side that they are in favor of a woman's right to choose what to do with regards to pregnancy occuring her body. Pro-Life most accurately, in short hand, describes the generalized view poin of that side in that they are in favor of the state acting in protection of the life of the child by disallowing it to be killed. It would be wrong to categories Pro-Choicers are "pro-abortoin" because, while they are in favor of abortion being legal, the reasons and intent behind their position resides more in their belief of choice in terms of the females body then it does specifically about whether or not abortoin should be legal. It would be wrong to categories Pro-Lifer's as "anti-choice" because the entire aspect of the notion of "choice" is as non-sensical based on their view point as it would be if you suggested a parent had a "choice" to kill their 3 year old.

  10. #80
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, they're really not, as they take the mindset of one side...erroniously place that mindset onto the intent and views of the other side unfairly....and then judges the otherside based on that. It is no more accurate than saying it should be Pro-Abortoin and Anti-Abortion because you're in favor of abortoins being allowed to happen.

    Pro-Choice most accurately, in short hand, describes the generalized view point of that side that they are in favor of a woman's right to choose what to do with regards to pregnancy occuring her body. Pro-Life most accurately, in short hand, describes the generalized view poin of that side in that they are in favor of the state acting in protection of the life of the child by disallowing it to be killed. It would be wrong to categories Pro-Choicers are "pro-abortoin" because, while they are in favor of abortion being legal, the reasons and intent behind their position resides more in their belief of choice in terms of the females body then it does specifically about whether or not abortoin should be legal. It would be wrong to categories Pro-Lifer's as "anti-choice" because the entire aspect of the notion of "choice" is as non-sensical based on their view point as it would be if you suggested a parent had a "choice" to kill their 3 year old.
    I disagree. I think the labels are quite accurate and do not particularly favor one side unfairly. The issue is abortion, not a parent killing a 3 year old.

    You either agree that the woman should have a choice to have an abortion or not. Its quite simple.

    You are either FOR that choice (Pro) or against that choice (Anti).
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •