View Poll Results: Are you pro life or pro choice

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pro Life

    22 31.88%
  • Pro Choice

    47 68.12%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 184

Thread: Are you pro life or pro choice

  1. #51
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Furthermore, there is no such thing as "personally anti-abortion, but..."

    That is like saying "I would not personally buy a slave, but who other people choose to buy is none of my business." Such a person supports the legality of slavery. An abolitionist of slavery would not consider such a person to be an ally, literally or intellectually.
    Sure you can. It was possible at the time to be in favor of legal slavery, but find it morally wrong. Abraham Lincoln started his political career as a person who thought slavery was wrong, but did not seek to make it illegal nationwide. His position "evolved," I guess is the term now, but that was his position at one time.

    Same thing for me. I favor the legality of abortion. I don't think that a person's sexual morality is an appropriate place for government. However, barring any convincing evidence to the contrary, I believe life begins at conception (though I bristle at the phrase because of it's modern political connotations). Therefore, I think it's morally wrong.

    Look, I also think adultery should be "legal" in that I don't think you should go to jail for cheating on your spouse. I still think it's wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #52
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    See, technically, everyone would claim to favor "life" and "choice," which is part of why the terms pro-life and pro-choice are misleading and stupid.


    Furthermore, there is no such thing as "personally anti-abortion, but..."

    That is like saying "I would not personally buy a slave, but who other people choose to buy is none of my business." Such a person supports the legality of slavery. An abolitionist of slavery would not consider such a person to be an ally, literally or intellectually.
    You are flat out wrong. Most pro-choice people do not favor abortions. They simply believe that it is not their choice to make. Personally, I would counsel and try to persuade any person close to me against having an abortion. However, I would NEVER seek to impose my morality on them nor would I EVER be so arrogant to believe that either myself or the government is in a better position to dictate to them what they should do. The choice is best left to the woman and her doctor. Period. End of story.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Really?

    I get your stance, to a point, but at hte same time it at least readily identifies each group by the nomeclature that group generally chooses to use and best reflects the actual basis for the majority of those on that side's view.

    I was actually going to applaud navy for putting "Pro-Choice" and not "Pro-Abortion" or somtehing of the sort. So many people ridiculsouly on both sides attempt to change the other sides designation as a means to insult, belittle, and switch up context and it was nice to see for once someone didn't do that.

    I would say personally I am pro-life. I am an individual that believes there are legitimate exceptions and also believe that the issue is so opinion based in nature with no true sound way to unquestionably determine such an answer that it is more in line with our Constitution to allow it to be decided on a State by State level rather than by a one size fits all federal fiat.
    Yes really. While pro-choice and pro-life work in context of abortion to an extent, they in the labels themselves do not say what the context is. Further, it is an attempt to put a positive spin on the belefe, which while not wrong does not sum up the point well. Pro-choice means some one who favors the legal right of women to have an elective abortion because they should be able to choose. Pro-life means some one who is againt the legal right of women to have an elective abortion in order to protect the life of the fetus(baby). The actual point of contention is whether it should be a legal right to have elective abortions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    So pray tell, recognizing the simple reality of conversation and the common societal nature of segment groups into easily named categories that makes it simple to speak about, what would you say the terms should be?

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Personally, I would counsel and try to persuade any person close to me against having an abortion.
    Why would you do that?

  6. #56
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Why would you do that?
    Because for me personally, I believe that abortion is wrong. However, thank god...as a male, I will never have to make that decision for myself. I would try to persuade the person to consider other alternatives, however, ultimately I don't believe it is up to me or the government to make that decision for them.

    BTW....just to be clear. While I think that abortion is wrong, I don't equate it with murder. I don't believe that the killing of a fetus is the same as the killing of a human being. I don't buy into that anti-abortion rhetoric.
    Last edited by disneydude; 05-10-12 at 02:17 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #57
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So pray tell, recognizing the simple reality of conversation and the common societal nature of segment groups into easily named categories that makes it simple to speak about, what would you say the terms should be?
    If it was my choice, I would use pro-right to elective abortion and anti-right to elective abortions. Not perfect but to my mind better. People are however free to call themselves whatever they want. I simply won't use the terms myself, which is my right. Since the poll question is about what I am, that I reject the terms is a legitimate answer.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #58
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If it was my choice, I would use pro-right to elective abortion and anti-right to elective abortions. Not perfect but to my mind better. People are however free to call themselves whatever they want. I simply won't use the terms myself, which is my right. Since the poll question is about what I am, that I reject the terms is a legitimate answer.

    I also think that the term "pro-life" is not accurate. Pro who's life? and why is it that a large part of the "pro-life" crowd oppose every effort to help support the child and the child's "life" once it is born?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #59
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Ok let the fun start
    NP...I think by all of the past postings I've seen you make on topics related to abortion...all knows that you (along with several others in this forum) consider all pro-choice to actually be "pro-abortion". That said, ( and I disagree with that stance), I sincerely wished that you would have included that in your polling options. Actually, you could have included "anti-abortion" to the list as well. I think that those folks exist as well. I say that because many pro-lifers do have exceptions such as rape, incest...yadda, yadda, yadda, where as anti-abortion don't belief in abortion for any reason.

  10. #60
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Are you pro life or pro choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Ok let the fun start
    I hope this is the last time I ever have to see a discussion about abortion being with the word "fun" in it. I am 99% against abortion. It is far more complicated than you make it out to be. In the most basic terms I am pro-life though. The three women I knew that got abortions (2 Republicans imagine that) very much had the means, good health, etc to take care of a child but still got them. Those are the kind of abortions I do not like. But like anything that has to do with a woman's junk I just walk away backwards slowly, run out to the car and speed off.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •