View Poll Results: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward..

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Develop a base? (i.e.: local, state, Congress, etc.)

    15 53.57%
  • Elect a President without a base?

    0 0%
  • Be included in Presidential debates?

    10 35.71%
  • Carry 10%+ of the Presidental popular vote?

    4 14.29%
  • Other

    14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 175

Thread: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

  1. #121
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The LP has a party platform. That party platform calls for a great deal of deregulation.
    There are certainly removal of regulations, as I said there's lots of bad regulations. It doesn't mean ALL regulations. It doesn't mean that we don't make different ones to regulate properly either.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #122
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There are certainly removal of regulations, as I said there's lots of bad regulations. It doesn't mean ALL regulations. It doesn't mean that we don't make different ones to regulate properly either.
    I have not claimed(though I did express it poorly) that the LP called for an end of regulations. They do call for significantly fewer regulations no matter how you try and spin it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have not claimed(though I did express it poorly) that the LP called for an end of regulations. They do call for significantly fewer regulations no matter how you try and spin it.
    They do since the larger number of regulations are bad. They are either harmful to free market practices and small businesses or have no enforcement capabilities. So of course you're going to get rid of bad regulation. Why would one want to keep bad regulation?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #124
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They do since the larger number of regulations are bad. They are either harmful to free market practices and small businesses or have no enforcement capabilities. So of course you're going to get rid of bad regulation. Why would one want to keep bad regulation?
    The argument would be over how many and which are bad, and how many and what new ones to implement. Now let's look at the original point I was making. LP tends to favor less regulation, fewer safety nets free market economics as per their party platform. They also favor abortion rights as per their party platform. This makes it a hard sell to a large segment of the population, who will agree with one of those positions strongly, and disagree with the other strongly. This was my argument. The LP has issues with attracting people, and a big part of that is that the LP llatform and position on issues. In fact, I do not see the LP getting significantly larger with its current platform unless the general public changes their views significantly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #125
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Since I can't seem to fully get where yo'ure going with the thread I'll do short term and long term. Unfortunately, they're at a bad spot...

    Short Term, there's little hope that's realistic of the Libertarian Party actually managing to affect change in and of themselves as an actual party.Their best hope is getting enough ground roots support to force the Republican and Democratic nominee's to have to take up some of their issues in hopes to win over a few votes. However, short of Ron Paul abandoning the principle foundation that makes up Ron Paul and actually running 3rd party, I don't see them managing to get the support nationally needed to be relevant. Their best way to "affect change" would basically be to cost the Republican's votes in hopes of sending a "message" to the GOP.

    Long term, it's a difficult road to hoe. In part because you have a third party whose fiscal/governmental views clash with one party and whose social views clash with another party. Two parties that, imho, have reached prominence largely because the population...through natural reasons or indocrination...has largely split along those lines. So you have to siphon off voters from both camps, but you have to somehow siphon off voters who aren't turned off by one side of your platform which is the issue. I think the number of socially liberal/fiscally conservative individuals out there are in general smaller in numbers then your across the board conservative/liberals. Additionally, if they're slightly less than a failure in the short term and actually affect elections by taking votes away from Republicans there's a good chance that rather then sending a message that the GOP needs to be more libertarian that it will actually make potential converts upset and less likely to jump. The Libertarian Party's best hope long term is for the GOP to crumble electorally for a decade or two, both Federally and on a state level, to the point where a drastic change seems to be the only real option and co-opting that base may be possible.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Try overthrowing a country sometime. Tell me how many seconds before the police come and stop you?
    ...and yet, some of the harshest and most authoritarian governments have been done away with by people. Not so corporations,

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    But they have no central government now, little regulation, freedom of gun ownership, very low tax rates, and no health insurance mandate.


    What country do you prefer that has a more Libertarian-like government than Somalia?
    Their conditions have not been chosen. Their current political/economical situation are the product of civil war and dictatorship, not democratic political choices. Somalians have not had a voice in how their nation is run in some time.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    If you mean what I think you mean by "far right", I would argue that libertarianism (as I understand it) was never co-opted in the first place because it's inherently a "far-right" ideology.

    But then, I know many left-libertarians I respect would disagree with me.
    To my knowledge, far-right politics are usually associated with racial or cultural identity. Unless Libertarianism has some sort of preoccupation with social cliques I'm unaware of.

    I don't think I'd call Libertarianism "far-right".

  9. #129
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    ...and yet, some of the harshest and most authoritarian governments have been done away with by people. Not so corporations,
    You know, I think your right, I don't think companies who offered faulty products or crappy service have ever failed by being rejected by the customer. </sarcasm>

    Take however many nations which have had revolutions, and multiply that by a thousand, and you probably still have a number substantially lower than the number of companies that have fallen to the wayside due to lack of adaptation to their consumer base.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #130
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: What does Libertarian Party need to happen for them to move forward...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They do since the larger number of regulations are bad. They are either harmful to free market practices and small businesses or have no enforcement capabilities. So of course you're going to get rid of bad regulation. Why would one want to keep bad regulation?
    It doesn't help that when many libertarians state their desire for less regulation, the most vociferous of them will come off as wanting an almost anarchic-like world where there is no regulation, and will only concede to some remaining regulation when pressed. And you have to press pretty hard to get the concession. Another example of bad presentation that does not serve the Libertarian Party or libertarianism well image-wise, as has been mentioned.


    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    To my knowledge, far-right politics are usually associated with racial or cultural identity. Unless Libertarianism has some sort of preoccupation with social cliques I'm unaware of.

    I don't think I'd call Libertarianism "far-right".
    I'm tempted to call libertarianism "far right". If only because, when push comes to shove and they have to choose between a left ideal or a right ideal, the right ideal seems to win out almost every single time. IOW: They'll compromise on something like abortion (if they have to), but by God don't you dare "steal" my money in the form of taxation.
    Last edited by radcen; 05-09-12 at 12:41 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •