View Poll Results: Where would you rather live

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nazi Germany

    25 55.56%
  • Soviet Russia

    20 44.44%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 102

Thread: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

  1. #51
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Why can't there be other options?

    I don't think any person would want to live in those places during those times.
    LOL - yes, I'd much rather be in the US!
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The Nazis would have killed me for being a Jew.

    The Soviets would have killed me for being a Jew.

    Even if I wasn't a Jew, I would have demanding democacy & freedom in the USSR, so they would have killed me.
    There is a history of anti-semitism in the Soviet Union - as there is in all of europe - but there was no systematic effort to exterminate Jews as their was in Nazi Germany. The whole Aryan Supremacy thing is a greater evil than communism.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    There is a history of anti-semitism in the Soviet Union - as there is in all of europe - but there was no systematic effort to exterminate Jews as their was in Nazi Germany. The whole Aryan Supremacy thing is a greater evil than communism.
    Shouldn't the number of people murdered be a factor in deciding "evil"?

    Is it true more people died in gulags in communist Russia than NAZI Germany?

  4. #54
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Well, Hell, if we're not supposed to answer the question as us, who are we supposed to be when we answer the question?

    I took a quiz once on who you'd be in Nazi Germany. Of course, the idea is that everyone thinks they're la Resistance but most people would have just been ordinary law-abiding and genocide-enabling volk. The quiz is supposed to open your eyes to the banality of human evil.

    Me? I scored as der Kommandant. I'm not a 'freedom fighter'. I'm just sealed evil in can answering a question about what I'd do if I lived in a world of can openers.
    Good answer. I took the question as implying that we know we wouldn't be the exact same person we are here and now, and more of a "what if you could choose then be placed accordingly to live as a person then" question.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Shouldn't the number of people murdered be a factor in deciding "evil"?

    Is it true more people died in gulags in communist Russia than NAZI Germany?
    Is it just numbers, or is it deeds as well? Both the Germans and the Soviets were pretty efficient at killing people, but I'd put the Japanese and what they did at Unit-731 up against anything the Germans did in terms of evil deeds. Maybe even surpassing.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #55
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Good answer. I took the question as implying that we know we wouldn't be the exact same person we are here and now, and more of a "what if you could choose then be placed accordingly to live as a person then" question.
    Well, when I answered the question... I did assume that I would be answering as if I would be a citizen of the country in question-- as if I would be a German or a Russian depending on my answer-- but not that I would have been raised differently than I was or believed differently than I do. What it boils down to is, whether I were a Nazi or a Soviet... I would be living under a government that was murdering its own people, my own people, and I am not about to say that I would just abide that.

    I'm a reasonable guy. I'm not necessarily a rational person, because I believe some moral principles are of infinite value and because I often value destruction for its own sake, but I'm generally inclined to do the best I can with what I've got and compromise with people who disagree with me for the greater good.

    But when you hurt me and mine... it's all blood for the blood god and skulls for the skull throne. My family would not have fared well under either government, so neither government would be allowed to fare well over me.

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Well, when I answered the question... I did assume that I would be answering as if I would be a citizen of the country in question-- as if I would be a German or a Russian depending on my answer-- but not that I would have been raised differently than I was or believed differently than I do. What it boils down to is, whether I were a Nazi or a Soviet... I would be living under a government that was murdering its own people, my own people, and I am not about to say that I would just abide that.

    I'm a reasonable guy. I'm not necessarily a rational person, because I believe some moral principles are of infinite value and because I often value destruction for its own sake, but I'm generally inclined to do the best I can with what I've got and compromise with people who disagree with me for the greater good.

    But when you hurt me and mine... it's all blood for the blood god and skulls for the skull throne. My family would not have fared well under either government, so neither government would be allowed to fare well over me.
    Somebody else (I forget who) made a point in a similar thread a couple months ago... It's one thing to put yourself on the line for your beliefs. It's quite another to subject your family and friends to danger and even death because of your beliefs. That is a HUGE card that totalitarian regimes play against their citizens, and the worst of the worst are not afraid to play that card.

    I wouldn't doubt that there many people who wanted to defy the government but didn't because doing so would cause harm to their parents and spouses and kids and siblings, etc.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,750

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeForSome? View Post
    Where would you rather live, and why?
    That's a strange question. In early Nazi Germany, if you were a zealot (not anti-Jewish just pro German) life was pretty good for you. In soviet Russia, if you were a zealot you lived in a grey room like everybody else. So, if I had to choose, I'd go with Germany.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  8. #58
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That's a strange question. In early Nazi Germany, if you were a zealot (not anti-Jewish just pro German) life was pretty good for you. In soviet Russia, if you were a zealot you lived in a grey room like everybody else. So, if I had to choose, I'd go with Germany.
    ...unless you were too much of a zealot, and not in the closest inner-circle, in which case you were viewed as a threat.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #59
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,750

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...unless you were too much of a zealot, and not in the closest inner-circle, in which case you were viewed as a threat.
    Oh of course! I was speaking more in terms of the average person. Police and secret services were like a Chines box in Nazi Germany, and in my view that's what did 'em in right from the beginning.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Shouldn't the number of people murdered be a factor in deciding "evil"?

    Is it true more people died in gulags in communist Russia than NAZI Germany?
    So ?
    Russia's population was roughly 4 times greater....and their conditions were far worse.

    What is evil is extremeism....and not being honest....

    I voted NOT !
    But, if I must....probably communist Russia....there I may live longer.....

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •