View Poll Results: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no doubt

    19 31.67%
  • Kind of

    17 28.33%
  • I don't know

    0 0%
  • Not really

    17 28.33%
  • No, not at all

    6 10.00%
  • I don't care

    1 1.67%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 194

Thread: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

  1. #11
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Relative to most countries we are very free. However, compare it to our own history we have lost quite a bit of freedom. I went with the "kind of" because we are for the most part free. However, go to the airport and see how free you are with the TSA. Go to Middleborugh, Massachusetts and drop an "F" bomb. (You'll get fined $20)

    Try to hold a protest around the president. Tell the people of Flint, Michigan they have a voice in their local government. (They do not because of Michigan's law of 'emergency managers' that can come in and take over a city indefinitely)

    At the same time...we can travel throughout the country at will. We have a voluntary military. We enjoy basic freedoms.
    Last edited by AreteCourage; 05-02-12 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I was censored
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    Relative to most countries we are very free. However, compare it to our own history we have lost quite a bit of freedom. I went with the "kind of" because we are for the most part free. However, go to the airport and see how free you are with the TSA. Go to Middleborugh, Massachusetts and drop an "F" bomb. (You'll get fined $20)

    Try to hold a protest around the president. Tell the people of Flint, Michigan they have a voice in their local government. (They do not because of Michigan's law of 'emergency managers' that can come in and take over a city indefinitely)

    At the same time...we can travel throughout the country at will. We have a voluntary military. We enjoy basic freedoms.
    Exactly. Still better than most, not as good as we used to be. The shining city on the hill has lost its sparkle.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Not like it used to be, but relatively speaking still pretty free.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #14
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    It's as free as you make it.

    What the hell does that mean?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #15
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    What the hell does that mean?
    Maybe he forgot that we have congress and a president who is pen-happy with legislation.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    There are many component elements that comprise the ideal of individual liberty. Property rights are under attack by the left and individual autonomy is under attack by the right. The left has been more successful than the right. Take off the blinders.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,059

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    I have visited over 100 countries in my lifetime and none are better then the USA by far.......It is definitely the country with the most freedom in the world.....
    My country does not stop me from visiting any other country in the world, untill Americans can say the same I don`t think they can still claim to be the land of the free. Still compared to many countries the USA is very free.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  8. #18
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    My country does not stop me from visiting any other country in the world, untill Americans can say the same I don`t think they can still claim to be the land of the free. Still compared to many countries the USA is very free.
    I don't have a problem with my country not allowing to visit some 3rd world country because it is done to protect my safety
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #19
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I don't have a problem with my country not allowing to visit some 3rd world country because it is done to protect my safety
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  10. #20
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Is the U.S. still "the land of the free"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    What the hell does that mean?
    I think he is referring to people such as yourself that are willing to hand over some of your freedoms that our countrymen have died to protect in order to obtain a bit of a false sense of security. You have many times on this site spoken about being willing to give up those freedoms.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •