View Poll Results: Free speech question

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    2 7.14%
  • no

    25 89.29%
  • rootabega (for goshin)

    1 3.57%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 87

Thread: Freedom of speech

  1. #31
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I never get offended by someones speech or beliefs until they bring it to me on a personal level....Im for this...Your not...does that mean we call each other names and degrade each other all day long in the HOPES that one side will gave in and say OK OK UNCLE im for whatever you want me to be for..
    lol...what planet did they come from lol
    Personally, I like it when people have a thick skin. So many of today's social ills would be far better if people simply ignored them and the idiots did not get the attention they crave.

  2. #32
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Freedom of speech

    No. In fact using the action of a boycott is using your first amendment..


  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Free speech means to some they can abuse you and call you names if you disagree with them..
    Yep, that's covered in free speech. What's your point?

  4. #34
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,490

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Media personalities have come to believe that they say anything that they want without consequence. They have the power to smear and degrade anybody who they disagree with for any reason. It could be a person's politics, religion, etc... or could be that they just don't like the way a person looks or acts. Those who are on the bunt end of that have virtually no rebuttle power.

    Media personalities clearly know that they can easily get away with making opinions sound as though they are facts...and if they are caught and called on their ploys to do so....they simply scream...YOU IDIOT, you should check out my comments and believe what you want to believe.

    Well, the damage is done and media personalities know that.

    If I walk up to you and call you a son-of-a-bitch low life and then smile and nonchalantly say: "I was just kidding." That person still got to say what was on his or her mind and let little recourse to call them on it because they "CLAIM" they were kidding.

    Radio and TV pundits know how to be dishonest and for the most part get away with it. And they leave plenty of victims laid out in the wreckage of the media person's comments.
    Last edited by Removable Mind; 04-30-12 at 03:56 PM.

  5. #35
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Media personalities have come to believe that they say anything that they want without consequence.
    I think they just do it for the free publicity. Rush Limbaugh hasn't been in the news in about a month, so keep your ears peeled. He'll doubtless say something vaguely racist and then claim it wasn't. Something easily construed as racist by anybody not hellbent on defending him on any account.

    To answer the question, the First Amendment only refers to actions of the government, not private citizens. So a boycott by private citizens does not harm anyone's First Amendment rights.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #36
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,680

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Media personalities have come to believe that they say anything that they want without consequence. They have the power to smear and degrade anybody who they disagree with for any reason. It could be a person's politics, religion, etc... or could be that they just don't like the way a person looks or acts. Those who are on the bunt end of that have virtually no rebuttle power.

    Media personalities clearly know that they can easily get away with making opinions sound as though they are facts...and if they are caught and called on their ploys to do so....they simply scream...YOU IDIOT, you should check out my comments and believe what you want to believe.

    Well, the damage is done and media personalities know that.

    If I walk up to you and call you a son-of-a-bitch low life and then smile and nonchalantly say: "I was just kidding." That person still got to say what was on his or her mind and let little recourse to call them on it because they "CLAIM" they were kidding.

    Radio and TV pundits know how to be dishonest and for the most part get away with it. And they leave plenty of victims laid out in the wreckage of the media person's comments.
    You're right, and of course this all shock jock stuff all over again.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #37
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Boycotts only work to make people responsible for their speech/actions. You absolutely have the right to free speech.....what you don't have is the right to live free of its repercussions
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #38
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Personally, I like it when people have a thick skin. So many of today's social ills would be far better if people simply ignored them and the idiots did not get the attention they crave.
    Yeah well thats difficult on forums...in real its easy...having a thick skin only goes so far...its the indian rope burn syndrome...you can only take so m uch now matter how thickskinned you are

  9. #39
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Boycotts only work to make people responsible for their speech/actions. You absolutely have the right to free speech.....what you don't have is the right to live free of its repercussions
    Very well said...

  10. #40
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Boycotts only work to make people responsible for their speech/actions. You absolutely have the right to free speech.....what you don't have is the right to live free of its repercussions
    Except repercussions from the government.
    From the ashes.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •