View Poll Results: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES (please state how)

    9 31.03%
  • NO, the assets would be liquidated.

    20 68.97%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

  1. #21
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post

    ..........
    Yeah funny thing is they do it by shipping preassembly to Mexico and china just as gm does now. I'm back and forth with gm. I work for a real American car company making parts for real 100% American cars: Toyota and Honda.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  2. #22
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Yeah funny thing is they do it by shipping preassembly to Mexico and china just as gm does now. I'm back and forth with gm. I work for a real American car company making parts for real 100% American cars: Toyota and Honda.
    Woopdido, Ford has manufacturing and assembly plants across the globe, similar to Toyota and Honda. Ford does not just make parts in Mexico and China, neither does any other major auto company. However, last I checked Ford was incorporated in Detroit while Toyota and Honda were in Japan.

  3. #23
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Woopdido, Ford has manufacturing and assembly plants across the globe, similar to Toyota and Honda. Ford does not just make parts in Mexico and China, neither does any other major auto company. However, last I checked Ford was incorporated in Detroit while Toyota and Honda were in Japan.
    True however the majority of all preassembly and 100% of assembly of Honda and Toyota vehicles for American cars are made in America. The same cant be said for Ford or GM. Mercades is also more American than either of them, that is of course when building vehicles made for us.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  4. #24
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    True however the majority of all preassembly and 100% of assembly of Honda and Toyota vehicles for American cars are made in America. The same cant be said for Ford or GM. Mercades is also more American than either of them, that is of course when building vehicles made for us.
    I have a hard time believing that each of those companies supply chain management is drastically different, but I guess I don't know for sure. Common sense would tell me that if I am driving a car in North America, there is a good chance that most of it was manufactured in North America regardless of company. So I guess some could come from Mexico or Canada, but also most would come from US. I would bet that more of GM and Ford R&D/Engineering comes from the US than Toyota and Honda though.
    Last edited by drz-400; 05-01-12 at 03:16 AM.

  5. #25
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    I have a hard time believing that each of those companies supply chain management is drastically different, but I guess I don't know for sure. Common sense would tell me that if I am driving a car in North America, there is a good chance that most of it was manufactured in North America regardless of company. So I guess some could come from Mexico or Canada, but also most would come from US. I would bet that more of GM and Ford R&D/Engineering comes from the US than Toyota and Honda though.
    Toyota and Honda looks for quality all around; gm an ford will let some stuff slide. As for r&d the second biggest car manufacture in the world is in Georgetown ky as well as one of the biggest r&d firms
    In cali both part of Toyota.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Toyota and Honda looks for quality all around; gm an ford will let some stuff slide. As for r&d the second biggest car manufacture in the world is in Georgetown ky as well as one of the biggest r&d firms
    In cali both part of Toyota.
    My Nissan 240 sx was pretty good.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    YES (please state how)
    NO, the assets would be liquidated.
    GM would have been better off to go through bankruptcy, they could have reorganized and got rid of union contracts that will bring them to their knees again. This massive tax payer bailout was about saving the union not GM.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    GM would have been better off to go through bankruptcy, they could have reorganized and got rid of union contracts that will bring them to their knees again. This massive tax payer bailout was about saving the union not GM.
    General Motors bankruptcy: End of an era - Jun. 1, 2009

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    You are correct I misspoke and wasn't clear enough in my blanket statement. I should have said normal bankruptcy without the gov bailout that had so many strings attached and where the gov became a controlling entity in GM. The settlement became biased in favor of UAW members due to gov picking winners and losers in the bankruptcy process which corrupted it. GM needed to get the UAW out or at least greatly reduce their influence and power, instead they basically became part owners in GM with increased power.

  10. #30
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Would General Motors Be Alive Today Without Government Help?

    Let me just say this...Mitt Romneys campaign last week...stated QUOTE....Obama took Mitt Romenys idea to save General Motors...meaning it was romneys idea to bail them out...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •