View Poll Results: Would you (gladly) live in a predomantly African-American neighborhood?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 44.44%
  • No.

    23 51.11%
  • I would say no, but am afraid of being called a racist.

    1 2.22%
  • I am a hypocrite and will say yes even though i mean no.

    1 2.22%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 123

Thread: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

  1. #41
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    I can say, some of the parts of Boston I try to avoid are white neighborhoods. Parts of Southie and Charlestown are just not inviting to live in.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  2. #42
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I disagree. People like to be around thier own. Lodi,nj is heavily italian, pearl river ny is about 90 percent irish...nothing wrong with that, just what people are comfortable with.

    I was rasied in very multicutural, ethnic, whatever neighborhoods and didnt discover this until i went into the usaf.... I was urban street smart, but blind to how the rest of the world was at the time. I still am instinctually.
    But is that because the people now, buying homes are looking at the race/ethnicity/background of their neighbors, or is it because of the area being close to family or the area they want to live in for their income level.

    I do think there are some people who consider race/ethnic background of the people in the area to be important. But I believe that there a whole load of other factors that outweigh this concern and that might also be more of the true deciding factor for where someone lives. I also believe that we will see a much bigger blending of younger generations than we have now. It is at least a smaller factor in the minds of most within mine and subsequent generations. Most of us have a lot more to concern ourselves with than the race of those within our neighborhoods, including the attitudes/behaviors of those within our neighborhoods.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #43
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    An article about Zimmerman jarred me into posting this poll. The question is simple. Would you live in a neighborhood which is predominantly African-American?
    Uhm why would I care and why would it matter LOL

    of course I would if thats the only description you are giving me and I get to make up the rest.

    For example if I was house shopping and I found a house I liked, in the school district I wanted, near my employment I buy the house

    I think not buying would be stupid and moronic based on the ONE thing you provided

    If while Im visiting the house I see . . . .<big gasp> . . .BLACK PEOPLE! . . . . uhm, I still buy the house
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #44
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,872
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Absolutely not.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #45
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But is that because the people now, buying homes are looking at the race/ethnicity/background of their neighbors, or is it because of the area being close to family or the area they want to live in for their income level.

    I do think there are some people who consider race/ethnic background of the people in the area to be important. But I believe that there a whole load of other factors that outweigh this concern and that might also be more of the true deciding factor for where someone lives. I also believe that we will see a much bigger blending of younger generations than we have now. It is at least a smaller factor in the minds of most within mine and subsequent generations. Most of us have a lot more to concern ourselves with than the race of those within our neighborhoods, including the attitudes/behaviors of those within our neighborhoods.
    My neighborhood is at least 50% Spanish and Polish (probably first or second generation immigrants). What happens is that people get recommendations from friends and family on where to live, so there's some segregation that happens in that way. As for Realtors? Want to make a Realtor squirm? Ask him to show you homes in an all-white neighborhood. Or Jewish neighborhood. Or Spanish neighborhood.

    Only ask if you don't like him, since you won't hear from him again, by the way.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #46
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    I can say, some of the parts of Boston I try to avoid are white neighborhoods. Parts of Southie and Charlestown are just not inviting to live in.
    Lived in dorchester gor a couple years with relatives. Loved it.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #47
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571
    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But is that because the people now, buying homes are looking at the race/ethnicity/background of their neighbors, or is it because of the area being close to family or the area they want to live in for their income level.

    "
    I do think there are some people who consider race/ethnic background of the people in the area to be important. But I believe that there a whole load of other factors that outweigh this concern and that might also be more of the true deciding factor for where someone lives. I also believe that we will see a much bigger blending of younger generations than we have now. It is at least a smaller factor in the minds of most within mine and subsequent generations. Most of us have a lot more to concern ourselves with than the race of those within our neighborhoods, including the attitudes/behaviors of those within our neighborhoods.


    "I wouldn't buy an apartment in an area because of the proliferation of black people but for a lack of irish people...."


    That would be if i cared. But i dont. But i understand it.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #48
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    "I wouldn't buy an apartment in an area because of the proliferation of black people but for a lack of irish people...."


    That would be if i cared. But i dont. But i understand it.
    Which is a little bit different than what the OP is asking. In fact, since he doesn't even ask what race/ethnicity the person answering the question is, then it suggests that no one would want to live in a neighborhood that was predominantly African-American, even another black person.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #49
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is a little bit different than what the OP is asking. In fact, since he doesn't even ask what race/ethnicity the person answering the question is, then it suggests that no one would want to live in a neighborhood that was predominantly African-American, even another black person.
    Yep thats what I was making note of too.
    Should have made the pool public also. I dont do any polls without making them public to help protect them from spammers.

    I dont know what he is trying to suggest because only he does but the OP is poorly worded with little to nothing to go on. Also as I have already said if that was anybody's ONLY factor in their decision then they have some real issues.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    i don't pick my neighborhood based on racial makeup. since there's no "other" option because that wouldn't advance the push poll premise, i pick yes.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •