View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 53.33%
  • No

    56 46.67%
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 413

Thread: Do you believe in God?[W:359]

  1. #161
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    My problem with discussions like this is how dickish people that believe in God can get, and how incredibly unwarranted dickish atheist can get. I've also never understood how a group of people can have such a disgust for religion but treat not being religious like they are Jehovah's witnesses.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  2. #162
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post

    I am an agnostic atheist. Though that usually confuses the average person which is why I usually just say I am an atheist. So if you want to call yourself an agnostic, fine, but just know that you are also either an atheist or a theist.
    Your post suggests that there are only two types of agnostics, agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. I suggest there are three. I used to be an agnostic theist, but over the last few months have transitioned to straight agnostic. Meaning: I see an equal amount of lack of evidence for and against the existence of a god. You don't have to lean to one side or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #163
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so, you admit to posting for the sole purpose of provoking & annoying people...and not for honest & intelligent debate.

    We appreciate your honesty.



    Q.E.D.
    Wow! NP being honest!
    Must be one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
    Pretty soon cats and dogs will be living together in sin.

  4. #164
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    My problem with discussions like this is how dickish people that believe in God can get, and how incredibly unwarranted dickish atheist can get. I've also never understood how a group of people can have such a disgust for religion but treat not being religious like they are Jehovah's witnesses.
    Agreed. People get waaaaay to personal about this stuff. I understand that a person's faith is the very epicenter of who they are. But, for the most part, every Christian religion or Christian related religion teachs tolerance and a non-judgemental stance. Not to mention the Bible teachs it. By tolerance, I don't mean that if you have someone spitting in your face and telling you the Christ doesn't exist you should just stand there and take it. Walk away. What I mean is that a Christian shouldn't be seeking people out to tell them how stupid they are for not believing in Christ. I will tell someone about Jesus all day long. However, if they don't want to hear it, it doesn't matter if you're Billy Graham or Tim Tebow. It's not going to get through.
    My only issue is this. Everyone is allowed to not believe in God all they want. But don't try to convince me of it. Just like you not wanting to hear about God existing, I don't want to hear that He doesn't. You have no proof that He doesn't, so don't present it in a manner that says you do.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Your post suggests that there are only two types of agnostics, agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. I suggest there are three. I used to be an agnostic theist, but over the last few months have transitioned to straight agnostic. Meaning: I see an equal amount of lack of evidence for and against the existence of a god. You don't have to lean to one side or another.
    Atheism and theism have nothing to do with knowledge, only belief. You have a belief or you don't. It is a binary position. How can one not be sure if they have a belief? That said, I realize this type of discussion can spiral into one of semantics and I am not trying to tell you what to call yourself.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Atheism and theism have nothing to do with knowledge, only belief...
    wrong.

    many Atheists & Agnistics believe as they do..due to the lack of hard scientific evidence for the existence of "God".

  7. #167
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Atheism and theism have nothing to do with knowledge, only belief. You have a belief or you don't. It is a binary position. How can one not be sure if they have a belief? That said, I realize this type of discussion can spiral into one of semantics and I am not trying to tell you what to call yourself.
    Of course those two positions rely on belief. Agnosticism however, as you mentioned, relies on knowledge. As such, I have neither knowledge or facts for or against the existence of a god, therefore, I am agnostic, and not an agnostic theist or agnostic atheist.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Agnosticism is not some fence sitting middle ground between theism and atheism, though.

    Theism and atheism speaks to the BELIEF in the existence of a god or gods.
    Gnosticism and agnosticism speak to the KNOWLEDGE of the existence of a god or gods.

    Do you have a belief in a god or gods? This is a yes or no question. The belief may be right or wrong, but you either have it or you don’t. You can’t not know if you have a belief in something. If your first instinct is to say you don’t know then you are an atheist.

    But do you claim to KNOW whether or not a god or gods exist? Most atheists and many theists will answer no to this question. They are agnostic. To be gnostic is to claim you KNOW. It doesn’t mean you are right of course. Many religious people claim to know God exists because they believe he revealed himself to them in some manner. So let’s recap:

    Agnostic atheist – one who doesn’t claim to know that a god or gods exist but has no belief in it/them
    Gnostic atheist – one who claims to know that a god or gods don’t exist and thus has no belief in it/them
    Agnostic theist – one who doesn’t claim to know that a god or gods exist but does have a belief in it/them
    Gnostic theist – one who claims to know that a god or gods exist and thus has a belief in it/them

    Attachment 67126636

    I am an agnostic atheist. Though that usually confuses the average person which is why I usually just say I am an atheist. So if you want to call yourself an agnostic, fine, but just know that you are also either an atheist or a theist.
    I have presented the exact same arguments on DP about these definitions, and fully agree with them. In this thread, I haven't yet said whether I am agnostic or atheist, but wanted to see how the humble agnostic defined me.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  9. #169
    User Robbymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 09:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    No, but I respect all beliefs and theories as long as others respect mine, but this is not so. I will continue to live my life to the fullest and perhaps I'll find purpose or self-gratification there.
    Accept nothing; Question everything.

  10. #170
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Do you believe in God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbymac View Post
    No, but I respect all beliefs and theories as long as others respect mine, but this is not so. I will continue to live my life to the fullest and perhaps I'll find purpose or self-gratification there.
    Yes, and I'm intolerant of the dangerous/radically different beliefs of others, I'm particularly intolerant of the belief that all beliefs deserve the same equal respect.

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •