View Poll Results: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 4.35%
  • no

    66 95.65%
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 206

Thread: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

  1. #61
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I like the idea of teaching comparative or teaching religion objectively in schools. Like it or not, we all have to deal with religion on a daily basis, and an understanding of the worlds religions aids in that dealing. Whether or not objective teaching is possible is another matter. The closest I can come to an answer is to form a panel of leaders of various religions, and present all sides.
    I think it's possible if it's done in a "This is what Religion X believes" manner, rather than a "This is the truth" manner. I took an introductory comparative religion class when I was in college, and my professor made a good point: "If you can figure out what my religious views are from the way I teach this class, then I'm not doing my job correctly." If people adopt that attitude toward classes on religion, then I really don't have a problem with it being taught...even in public schools.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I happen to agree with Jimbo. Nothing wrong with teaching comparative religion or religious history. It can and is done objectively all the time. In fact, as a history major, I'd say the study of history in general is vastly incomplete if you keep religion out of it.
    That's done at a college level, I was assuming we were talking high school or below, where I don't think you're going to have anything but problems. Colleges teach adults who choose to be in the class. High schools have to deal with parents.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #63
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's done at a college level, I was assuming we were talking high school or below, where I don't think you're going to have anything but problems. Colleges teach adults who choose to be in the class. High schools have to deal with parents.
    So just to be clear, your argument is that teaching comparative religion isn't a good idea because of the potential backlash or controversy it might create, rather than anything wrong with teaching comparative religion in and of itself?

    And just from my personal experience, some of these types classes are offered at the high school level as electives.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #64
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Coming from astronomers who invented dark matter fudge numbers I'll take that with a grain of salt, just like I take what I read in the bible with a grain of salt.
    There is observational evidence of dark matter.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's done at a college level, I was assuming we were talking high school or below, where I don't think you're going to have anything but problems. Colleges teach adults who choose to be in the class. High schools have to deal with parents.
    I think it should, and could, be taught at a far lower level than college. The key would be objectivity. Selecting objective teachers probably would be an impossibility. The only way I can think of would be a number of scholars, each presenting their own view. It would be up to the student to sort them out. Somehow, I think we should find a way.

    50 years ago, politics was the driving force in the world. Today it is religion, often masquerading as politics, or vice versa. Yet kids emerge from high school without even a limited knowledge of the worlds religions.

    You're right about the parents. Most parents do not want their children to know anything about any religion other than their own.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is observational evidence of dark matter.
    Yes, as difficult as "dark" matter is to "see".

    Nevertheless, it is evidently there .. and is "home", so to speak, to one of the cosmological "constants" known as the zero-point field(s), the arguable spiritual "soul" link per unique frequency of the field between our unique brain-body frequency "receiver" and "the universe", the seat of our "I am" experience.

    Einstein and the gang used to leave the zero-point field(s) out of their equations because its constancy cancelled equally on both sides of the equation, in theoretical effect.

    Lately, however, what with "spiritual" books making much to do of "The Force", physicists are taking another look.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Dark energy? Ehhh, that one's a little iffy at this point.
    Dark matter? It's pretty hard to explain away the effects of gravitational lensing.
    Dark energy isn't well understood, but from what we have observed it's necessary for the dynamics of the observed universe.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    [QUOTE=Cephus;1060435 The problem is, you'll never get that because all religions want to be the only religion and you'll just get fights. It's best to just leave religion entirely out of schools, which are supposed to be teaching facts, and leave it to churches.[/QUOTE]

    I don't know, nor care to, your religion, but how many muslim, catholic, baptist, shinto, buddha, atheist, hindu, churches have your children attended in the past year? Religion is a fact. Academic fights are generally a good thing.

  9. #69
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,872

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    With regard to the OP, I have a counter-question: Is there any settled consensus on what a scientific theory is? Who decides?

  10. #70
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is intelligent Design a scientific theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    With regard to the OP, I have a counter-question: Is there any settled consensus on what a scientific theory is? Who decides?
    A scientific theory is a set of principles that explain and predict phenomena.[1] Scientists create scientific theories with the scientific method, when they are originally proposed as hypotheses and tested for accuracy through observations and experiments.[2]

    Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    . . . a scientific theory is a tested and expanded hypothesis that explains many experiments and fits ideas together in a framework.

    Scientific theory - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    scientific theory

    noun
    a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable"

    Scientific theory | Define Scientific theory at Dictionary.com

    I don't think there is much debate on what it is, really. And those in the field of science decide.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •