View Poll Results: Would you go to war to defend the USA? (Americans only, please)

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, by all means

    65 66.33%
  • Not for this USA

    12 12.24%
  • I wouldn't go to any war

    4 4.08%
  • Don't know

    17 17.35%
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 238

Thread: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

  1. #201
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,805

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    I did. I was there. Volunteered twice.

    I don't see anyone standing in line to ship over. All the "God Bless America" is bull****.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #202
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    I did. I was there. Volunteered twice.

    I don't see anyone standing in line to ship over. All the "God Bless America" is bull****.
    I don't think God would bless three quarters of the **** America does, but She's my home.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #203
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    To move this discussion along, I would like to introduce this quote:

    "Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles."
    - George Jean Nathan.

    Do you buy this, or not?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #204
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    Here is another quote:

    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

    John Stuart Mill

  5. #205
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Do you buy this, or not?
    For me it wasn't. I enlisted because of my principals. America isn't just a piece of real estate, she's my home, my family, my friends, my culture, my everything.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  6. #206
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Guess Hitler shouldn't have named his own party National Socialism.
    Regardless of what he named "his Party", Hitler was about as anti-Marx as you can get. Hitler's only "Party" was Hitler!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Mussolini modeled his brand of fascism from socialist, and existentialist principals. He was heavily influenced by Sorel, Nietzsche, Plato, and Pareto. He was also a member of the Italian Socialist Party.
    That's why I said Mussolini would probably forgive your mistake. He started with Marx but didn't end up there.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #207
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    "Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."

    Mark Twain - "Chronicle of Young Satan"
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #208
    Professor
    Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    09-09-13 @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    You may say, that I am supplementing your comment.

    As far as a surprise attacks on America go, I refer you to:

    The New American Century .mpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    You mean brainwashing by the U.S, media?

    "10. Myth: If it is not mentioned in the media, then it is not real. So the CIA’s policy of mass mind control and collective brainwashing can’t be real because the TV news channels and other media outlets never mention it.

    Fact: To a large degree, the CIA and the mainstream media are one and the same. The U.S. government’s state media is not like the Chinese, Russian, Cuban, or Iranian state media, but it is still a state media. The only difference is there is the illusion in America that there is a separation between the private sphere of news coverage and the official sphere of power. But in reality, there is no separation. Officials in the highest positions of power in Washington manage the news in America, direct the national conversation, cover up uncomfortable truths, and set the official standards for public debate. They are totalitarian thugs who masquerade as defenders of freedom and providers of security."


    Debunking 10 Myths About The CIA?s Psychological Occupation of The American Mind - BlackListedNews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Psh, that's small potatoes compared to their activities in the 60's and 70's. Unless you're detained in one of their black sites. MKULTRA/NAOMI/whatever the hell they call it now is alive and well.
    Its way worse now than when the Church Committee was formed to investigate Cointelpro. You have Patriot Act wiretapping, Facebook spying, Twitter, infiltration of OWS, in addition to the Mockingbird and traditional techniques used in the 70's. A journalist on Democracy Now had his computer copied by DHS just for boarding a plane, plus the TSA crappola.

    http://www.blacklistednews.com/TSA_H...0/0/0/Y/M.html




    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Of course all the marxists are saying no...
    Seeing pink elephants again? What Marxists?
    Last edited by Kane; 04-24-12 at 06:31 PM.

  9. #209
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,044

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    I believe this is a hollow question, because most don't seem to grasp what "defending" it entails. If a person punches you in the face, you defend yourself and punch back. That's simple. That's easy. And that's what most believe is defending. Now imagine that same person, instead of hitting you, is robbing you and continually threatens the livelyhood of your family. Still in need for some defense?

    It's easy to exact revenge after a Pearl Harbor (against Japanese) or after a 9/11 (against a few Muslims hiding under a government) by defending the USA. But the American way of life, with all its opportuntity and prosperity, isn't defended by such an easy definition. Most Americans couldn't understand why a war in Europe was their problem. Most Americans don't understand why a globe covered in Soviet influence was ther problem. Hell, most Americans are so caught up in their deluded ideas that they can't understand why oil matters. Most Americans don't know their own history. Ask yourself when American freedom was last actually defended and then realize why we go to war.

    Defending the USA from one war to the next has always been far more important than the two instances where we demanded revenge for being attacked. In fact, we have never gone to war with anybody that didn't involve securing the wider region as the goal. Think about it. Why would we seek to secure and stabilize regions? Because the defense of the USA has always been about the health of foreign regions.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  10. #210
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Would you go to war to defend the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I believe this is a hollow question, because most don't seem to grasp what "defending" it entails. If a person punches you in the face, you defend yourself and punch back. That's simple. That's easy. And that's what most believe is defending. Now imagine that same person, instead of hitting you, is robbing you and continually threatens the livelyhood of your family. Still in need for some defense?

    It's easy to exact revenge after a Pearl Harbor (against Japanese) or after a 9/11 (against a few Muslims hiding under a government) by defending the USA. But the American way of life, with all its opportuntity and prosperity, isn't defended by such an easy definition. Most Americans couldn't understand why a war in Europe was their problem. Most Americans don't understand why a globe covered in Soviet influence was ther problem. Hell, most Americans are so caught up in their deluded ideas that they can't understand why oil matters. Most Americans don't know their own history. Ask yourself when American freedom was last actually defended and then realize why we go to war.

    Defending the USA from one war to the next has always been far more important than the two instances where we demanded revenge for being attacked. In fact, we have never gone to war with anybody that didn't involve securing the wider region as the goal. Think about it. Why would we seek to secure and stabilize regions? Because the defense of the USA has always been about the health of foreign regions.
    I actually understand your point. But it does mean we argue that we do kill for oil. That we invade countries and subject innocent people to aggression and the consequences of that aggression. Doing so for this reason makes us what our enmies paint us to be. Having a moral center, core values, is difficult. A mob likely doesn't have those things. But a people should.

    And if I believe our way was superior to communism, wouldn't I have to believe that it would win in the end? If not, then why would I prefer it?

    Look, to some degree there is truth in what you argue, but there has to be a line. Because if there is no line, then our enemy has no line, and we should argue they shouldn;t have a line. I don't think the world can ultimately survive the kind of thinking you support here. No, your not alone. And it is more valid than most argue. But that is what makes me want to oppose it more. It logically leads us down a role I would rather not travel. I wouldrather be a moral people with less, than rich with innocent blood covering those riches.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •