View Poll Results: Is following someone an aggressive act?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    27 61.36%
  • No.

    17 38.64%
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 349

Thread: Following someone.

  1. #261
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    I do not think the act of "following" is in and of itself an aggressive act. The intent does play a part, but how can anyone ever know the intent of someone else?
    Totally agree, and yep, the intent part is tricky.

    Just following someone does not constitute "stalking" nor make the follower an "aggressor", some other action must take place for it to be an act of aggression. There are lots of reasons you might follow someone and many reasons you may THINK you are being followed. Our society trends to focus on the negative and we always hear about the incidents where people are hurt in some way. Why don't we hear about how people help each other? Maybe a young man follows an elderly lady to make sure she makes it home OK, maybe someone is followed because they appear suspicious, etc... If you think you are being followed cross the street, keep an eye on the windows so you can see reflections, call someone. There are many things you can do, but you can't keep safe from a bullet coming your way.
    Also agree with this completely. Much of the problem is when someone does not maintain situational awareness. And also true that it's very hard to dodge the bullet with your name on it.

    I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment but I was a bit surprised to find out that in the 6 months concealed carry has been legal in Wisconsin the state has issued 100,000 permits. Out of those 100,000 people how many hold stereotypes? How many are already scared? Does having the gun on them make them feel more protected or more scared? I think that in addition safety training, people obtaining weapons should have to undergo some type of sensitivity training.
    I firmly believe in leaving that up to the locality. The thing is people need to take their weapons seriously if they choose to carry. It is a responsibility to carry any weapon so one must learn; The laws pertaining to use, safety, and how to assess level of appropriate engagement and force used.

    I'm way OT now. Anyway... if someone was following me and I was alone I would probably get on my phone with someone and then turn and ask why they were following me. And then I would probably feel like an idiot because they were not following me, just going the same way or they thought but was cute.
    Usual outcome. LOL.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #262
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    152

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Just because you are suspicious of a person does not mean they are committing a crime.

    Legal/Non-Criminal.

    Illegal/Crime.
    With out any resin why he is shadowing you ? What do you think on him ?
    Prasad Panda Wildrose Party Northern Hills, Calgary, Canada

  3. #263
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by henrypanda View Post
    With out any resin why he is shadowing you ? What do you think on him ?
    There are so many innocent reasons a person could follow another. Attraction, found personal belonging, trying to stop another person who may actually be a threat from acting, suspicion, thought they recognized you, etc.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #264
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    152

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There are so many innocent reasons a person could follow another. Attraction, found personal belonging, trying to stop another person who may actually be a threat from acting, suspicion, thought they recognized you, etc.
    This is a Legal or Non Legal work ?
    Prasad Panda Wildrose Party Northern Hills, Calgary, Canada

  5. #265
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by henrypanda View Post
    This is a Legal or Non Legal work ?
    Legal. Basically the law protects the person following if they are not breaking any laws.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #266
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Aggression is usually in a sense the forceful violation of a person's rights. It's typically use of force or coercion to illicit something.
    Where'd you get that idea? An aggressive salesman isn't violating rights or using force. If I take an aggressive stance on an issue, it doesn't mean I am violating rights or using force.

    Something can be aggressive even if the intention to be aggressive is not there.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #267
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Where'd you get that idea? An aggressive salesman isn't violating rights or using force.
    It depends on context. I am using aggression as it was initially and currently legally defined because of the nature of this thread. There are levels of aggression obviously such as simple aggression like "not taking no for an answer" or.....
    If I take an aggressive stance on an issue, it doesn't mean I am violating rights or using force.
    Aggressively defending your position, i.e., not giving ground, this is the simplest form.

    Something can be aggressive even if the intention to be aggressive is not there.
    Eh, that boils down to perception. For the purposes of this thread I would say we need to look at absolute aggression, that is the intent to use force or coercion.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #268
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I am using aggression as it was initially and currently legally defined because of the nature of this thread.
    The only legal definition of aggression that I am aware of is related to international law and is used in the context of war. Where are you finding the legal definition you are using which talks about that talks about rights being violated and how would it apply to the context of this thread?

    For the purposes of this thread I would say we need to look at absolute aggression, that is the intent to use force or coercion.
    Why would you say that? To me it just sounds like you are trying to narrow the definition in a specific away so that your position is supported by it. I see no logically valid reason to limit things in such an obviously biased manner, though.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #269
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Following someone.

    We might draw an analogy with legality, whereby a crime constitutes both an act and an intention.

    The actus reus and mens rea, respectively.

  10. #270
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    In and of itself, no. However, there are circumstances (I would say the Paparazzi would sometimes fall into this catagory) in which it is.
    This is what the poll misses, and why simple yest or no answers are seldom helpful.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •