View Poll Results: Is following someone an aggressive act?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    27 61.36%
  • No.

    17 38.64%
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 349

Thread: Following someone.

  1. #241
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Pointing a gun at someone in a manner reasonably believed to be a threat is assault with a deadly weapon.
    Absolutely correct, of course if the intent is 100% to kill then it's of little comfort to the victim.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #242
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Absolutely correct, of course if the intent is 100% to kill then it's of little comfort to the victim.
    Makes a huge reaction potential. Same if someone pulls a knife in many ways. At the club if someone pulled a weapon - gun or knife, we (bouncers/enforcers) would go way out of our way to bust up the guy really extra bad to make a point to everyone else there. We'd carefully preserve the weapon for prints in a baggy for when the ambulance and cops arrived. Once we gave them the weapon and some witnesses confirmed the person had pulled it, the police no longer cared how much we messed that guy up as long as we didn't kill him. If it had been a woman, if one or more of us guys had first reacted, it would be up to a couple of the women to bust up that woman to avoid the issue of a man beating up a woman. A person bringing a weapon was way up the punitive actions list. Many big warning signs about that.
    Last edited by joko104; 04-20-12 at 04:24 PM.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by henrypanda View Post
    How can you say this ?
    If you are doing you are daily activities and you are observing that some on is shadowing you and what do you think on him ?
    Just because you are suspicious of a person does not mean they are committing a crime.

    Legal/Non-Criminal.

    Illegal/Crime.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #244
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Exactly. It's inherently aggressive. Intent doesn't change that. My position is that, just because someone is too stupid to realize it is an aggressive act, it doesn't mean it isn't an aggressive act. The "intent" argument is one that allows stupidity to be in control.
    So I was being aggressive when my wife and I followed a girl and her boyfriend who we did not know because they seemed to know which way the elevator at the parking garage was? A parking garage we had never been to?

    I was being aggressive when my wife and I then after exiting the parking garage had no clue which side of it we were on and were all turned around, but we saw people wearing apparel for the minor league hockey team we had tickets to see so we followed them to the stadium?

    God... Im such an aggressive asshole.

    And.... its apparently stupid for anyone to tell me otherwise....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #245
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Again though it's all about the intent.
    Not really. You just admitted that the person's intent is only a factor when it's already known to you. When it isn't known beforehand, it becomes an aggressive act by default. If you pulled out a gun and shot a stranger who pointed a gun at you with the intent of showing you how nice the gun is (but failed to let you know this beforehand), you'd be able to claim self-defense and few would disagree with your actions, even though they didn't have any intent to shoot you.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #246
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So you both believe that stupid people should be in charge of determining what is or is not an aggressive act in the world. Even if the perosn who is being threatened by their stupidity has no idea that the real problem is that they are dealing with an idiot?
    There is a difference between "danger" and "aggression".
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #247
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So I was being aggressive when my wife and I followed a girl and her boyfriend who we did not know because they seemed to know which way the elevator at the parking garage was? A parking garage we had never been to?
    That's a situation where one expects others to follow them, since everyone is presumed to be headed in the same direction in a parking garage. If you followed them to their car, however, it could have been aggressive.

    I was being aggressive when my wife and I then after exiting the parking garage had no clue which side of it we were on and were all turned around, but we saw people wearing apparel for the minor league hockey team we had tickets to see so we followed them to the stadium?
    Same situation as above. People expect others to be following them in those situations since everyone is already known to be headed the same direction.

    Context is far more important than intent. You can ignore it, but that won't make you right.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #248
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    There is a difference between "danger" and "aggression".
    Nobody ever claimed there wasn't.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Following someone.

    In addition to it being their profession, a paparazzi, PI, and a police detective are all asked to perform their function by someone else, their boss/client/society, and may partly be allowed to slide from their behavior being stalking simply because doing so was not their private-personal idea.

    We often can think like we have to let people slide when they are compelled to do something we don't like if we think they were acting under the direction of a "higher" authority. Then we may "go after" the higher authority.

    Regardless, stalking is what makes the person being stalked uncomfortable, and stalking involves 1) stealth of process and harassing or 2) persecuting with unwanted or obsessive attention.

    If someone follows another out in the open and the person being followed claims that is stalking, they have a valid point still with respect to "2)".

    Thus though the police detectives in the function of their protection of society have understandably a right to do follow people, and such following may border on being stalking, providing their behavior is ethical, I would not argue against the ethicalness of it.

    I would, however, argue that both a PI and a paparazzi are stalkers and are not ethically justified in their stalking.

    The paparazzi behavior clearly violates both "1)" and "2)".

    And the PI behavior clearly violates "1)" and can lead to a result of "2)".
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  10. #250
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    In addition to it being their profession, a paparazzi, PI, and a police detective are all asked to perform their function by someone else, their boss/client/society, and may partly be allowed to slide from their behavior being stalking simply because doing so was not their private-personal idea.

    We often can think like we have to let people slide when they are compelled to do something we don't like if we think they were acting under the direction of a "higher" authority. Then we may "go after" the higher authority.

    Regardless, stalking is what makes the person being stalked uncomfortable, and stalking involves 1) stealth of process and harassing or 2) persecuting with unwanted or obsessive attention.

    If someone follows another out in the open and the person being followed claims that is stalking, they have a valid point still with respect to "2)".

    Thus though the police detectives in the function of their protection of society have understandably a right to do follow people, and such following may border on being stalking, providing their behavior is ethical, I would not argue against the ethicalness of it.

    I would, however, argue that both a PI and a paparazzi are stalkers and are not ethically justified in their stalking.

    The paparazzi behavior clearly violates both "1)" and "2)".

    And the PI behavior clearly violates "1)" and can lead to a result of "2)".
    Using the non-legal definition of the word, of course. Legally, they would not be considered stalkers.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •