View Poll Results: Is following someone an aggressive act?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    27 61.36%
  • No.

    17 38.64%
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 349

Thread: Following someone.

  1. #181
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So, they are using the term that is convenient and suits their purposes....

    Gotcha.
    Well, that's how all word choices work.

    As long as people are being consistent in their use of the word, and they are not using it equivocally, there's no problem with it. It's only a problem when it's used equivocally.

    Your understanding of the word doesn't dictate whether another person's use of the word is correct or incorrect. If they are using it in the non-legal sense, and you take it to mean that they are using it in the legal sense, then the error is yours, not theirs. If they use it in the legal sense when it doesn't actually apply, then the error is theirs.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-25-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Well, that's how all word choices work.

    As long as people are being consistent in their use of the word, and they are not using it equivocally, there's no problem with it. It's only a problem when it's used equivocally.

    Your understanding of the word doesn't dictate whether another person's use of the word is correct or incorrect. If they are using it in the non-legal sense, and you take it to mean that they are using it in the legal sense, then the error is yours, not theirs. If they use it in the legal sense when it doesn't actually apply, then the error is theirs.
    Unless they also say that the paparazzi are stalking, police are stalking, and that guy who just happens to be walking in the same direction for 3 blocks away from the parking garage but you don't know it is stalking then yes.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,621
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Alot of use of the term "Stalking" in this thread.

    "Stalking" has a specific intent...... that intent has to come from the perpetrator of the act........ Just because a person "feels" that they are being stalked, or another completely uninvolved person "feels" that it is stalking does not make it so. The intent to cause fear has to come from the person DOING the "stalking".

    This is why your legal definitions of stalking include "meant to cause fear" not "causes fear".


    When an individual's reason for following another is professed by them, and documented via other means, it does not qualify as stalking.

    Paparazzi very well cause fear in some..... yet it is not their purpose. This is why it is not stalking.
    The police following a subject could very well cause fear, even when that person is doing no wrong (especially when such), yet it is not the purpose. This is why it is not stalking.
    A private citizen following another private citizen after observing what they believe to be suspicious behavior and reporting it to the police, very well could cause fear... yet it is not the purpose. This is why it is not stalking.
    Very well said.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #184
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Unless they also say that the paparazzi are stalking, police are stalking, and that guy who just happens to be walking in the same direction for 3 blocks away from the parking garage but you don't know it is stalking then yes.
    The paparazzi do stalk people. So do the police. The non-legal definition of "stalking" applies to these two groups perfectly under certain circumstances.

    As I said, if you take a non-legal usage of the word to mean the legal sense of the word, then the error is yours, not theirs.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 04-17-12 at 06:15 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #185
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-25-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The paparazzi do stalk people. So do the police. The non-legal definition of "stalking" applies to these two groups perfectly.

    As I said, if you take it a non-legal usage of the word to mean the legal sense of the word, then the error is yours, not theirs.
    No. The paparazzi follow people. The police follow people.

    Stalking is a special distinction aside from following.

    Follow and Stalk are not synonyms.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #186
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    No. The paparazzi follow people. The police follow people.

    Stalking is a special distinction aside from following.

    Follow and Stalk are not synonyms.

    To stalk means: To pursue quarry or prey stealthily

    Both Paparazzi and police do this. Their quarry in those instances are celebrities and criminals respectively.

    As I said, your understanding of the word does not dictate the proper use of the word. Your understanding is clearly flawed because you have totally ignored the non-legal definition of the word.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 04-17-12 at 06:21 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #187
    User rocket boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    columbus, oh
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 04:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    41

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Is following someone an aggressive act?
    yes.
    as with most things its all about 'intent'.
    just following someone isnt aggressive by itself.
    but i assume this question comes from the george zimmerman case.
    if you follow someone because you think they may be a criminal,
    while carrying a gun,
    and ignoring police advice to not follow them,
    it sounds like youre looking to take matters into your own hands
    and cause a confrontation.
    which i would describe as aggressive.
    ' ... i disagree with you ... but im pretty sure youre not hitler ... '
    - jon stewart -

  8. #188
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-25-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    To stalk means: To pursue quarry or prey stealthily

    Both Paparazzi and police do this. Their quarry in those instances are celebrities and criminals respectively.

    As I said, your understanding of the word does not dictate the proper use of the word. Your understanding is clearly flawed because you have totally ignored the non-legal definition of the word.
    Do you know the meaning of the word "stealthily" ???

    Do you consider a gaggle of people with cameras shouting the name of a celebrity and following them to be "stealthy"????
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-25-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Following someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket boy View Post
    yes.
    as with most things its all about 'intent'.
    just following someone isnt aggressive by itself.
    but i assume this question comes from the george zimmerman case.
    if you follow someone because you think they may be a criminal,
    while carrying a gun,
    and ignoring police advice to not follow them,
    it sounds like youre looking to take matters into your own hands
    and cause a confrontation.
    which i would describe as aggressive.
    "I don't need you to go to the store"

    Did I just tell you NOT to go to the store? Or did I tell you that I don't NEED you to go to the store?


    Why people keep pushing the fallacy that Zimmerman was told NOT to follow makes it rather obvious their inability to grasp understanding of this case.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #190
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Following someone.

    Paranoia does not justify violently assaulting someone else. MORE IMPORTANTLY, just because another person is paranoid doesn't mean you have to allow that person to violently assault you to their heart's content.

    All the people on this forum claiming 6'1 3" Martin becoming paranoid (in their opinion) gave him reason to violently assault Zimmerman endlessly and for which Zimmerman had to allow Martin to continue to do so as long as he wanted to is so bizarre it is amazing to read it discussed at a topic.

    Paranoia not justify violence and no person has to allow someone else to beat on him/her because the person doing so is paranoid.
    And pot - that it known Martin uses - does make many people paranoid and THAT may be the real piece of the puzzle never mentioned. This all may have happened because Martin was stoned.

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •