View Poll Results: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's necessary, and it should continue.

    7 41.18%
  • Usually meaningless, but sometimes useful information is revealed.

    8 47.06%
  • No. Please make it stop.

    2 11.76%
  • Other.

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

  1. #11
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Usually pointless, but this year it showed that Obama was a hypocrite. He spends a lot of time talking about how little Buffet pays in taxes, that he pays less of an effective rate than his secretary, then this year, shows that he, himself, paid less than the 30% that he wants millionaires to pay.

    No surprise there.

    Umm what is hypocritical about that? He thinks that wealthy people, like Buffett and himself, should pay more than they currently do.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #12
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Usually pointless, but this year it showed that Obama was a hypocrite. He spends a lot of time talking about how little Buffet pays in taxes, that he pays less of an effective rate than his secretary, then this year, shows that he, himself, paid less than the 30% that he wants millionaires to pay.
    Obama came in well under the million dollar mark yet his effective rate is much higher than the millionaire's rate as Romney has shown. Seems like a perfect demonstration of the issue.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 04-15-12 at 02:28 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #13
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post

    Umm what is hypocritical about that? He thinks that wealthy people, like Buffett and himself, should pay more than they currently do.
    So what stopped him from giving the rest to the government? After all, if anyone can just hand over cash, it's him, and he knows he's going to release his tax documents to the public anyhow.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #14
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So what stopped him from giving the rest to the government? After all, if anyone can just hand over cash, it's him, and he knows he's going to release his tax documents to the public anyhow.
    Oh please. This has to be one of the silliest arguments I've ever heard. If voluntary contributions were enough to fund the government, then we wouldn't need any taxes at all. Let me ask you this: Do you support any taxes whatsoever? If so, why haven't you donated your entire paycheck to the government before you ask others to chip in too? Does not doing so make you a "hypocrite"?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #15
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Oh please. This has to be one of the silliest arguments I've ever heard. If voluntary contributions were enough to fund the government, then we wouldn't need any taxes at all. Let me ask you this: Do you support any taxes whatsoever? If so, why haven't you donated your entire paycheck to the government before you ask others to chip in too? Does not doing so make you a "hypocrite"?
    This is the guy who is pushing specifically for higher taxes on the wealthy. He thinks they should be required to pay at least 30% of their income in taxes, yet his own income is only taxed at 27%. If he and Buffet both want this so much, why are they not donating the difference to the IRS so they can do all the wonderful social programs that they seem to want to happen? But neither of them are doing it until they are forced by the tax code. Funny, that.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    This is the guy who is pushing specifically for higher taxes on the wealthy. He thinks they should be required to pay at least 30% of their income in taxes, yet his own income is only taxed at 27%. If he and Buffet both want this so much, why are they not donating the difference to the IRS so they can do all the wonderful social programs that they seem to want to happen? But neither of them are doing it until they are forced by the tax code. Funny, that.
    You didn't answer my question. Do you support any taxes at all? If you were legally obligated to pay $0, would you voluntarily give the government a dime? I thought not. Guess that makes you a hypocrite.

    Of course Obama and Buffett aren't going to voluntarily pay money "until they are forced by the tax code." They don't want to be suckers, nor should they be expected to be; no one should be expected to pay more than they are legally required to pay. The whole idea of taxes is to force people to pay up, because voluntary contributions are not enough and never will be. This is such an asinine argument.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You didn't answer my question. Do you support any taxes at all? If you were legally obligated to pay $0, would you voluntarily give the government a dime? I thought not. Guess that makes you a hypocrite.
    Absolutely, taxes are a necessity. But if I was going around holding news conferences telling everyone that people need to pay more in taxes, you'd be damn sure I'd be paying those taxes up front, especially if I was releasing my tax returns to the public.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #18
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Absolutely, taxes are a necessity. But if I was going around holding news conferences telling everyone that people need to pay more in taxes, you'd be damn sure I'd be paying those taxes up front, especially if I was releasing my tax returns to the public.
    He did pay his taxes up front. I really don't get what your beef is.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #19
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    It's a good way to complain about how rich someone is.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Presidential candidates releasing income tax returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It's a good way to complain about how rich someone is.
    There is, there must be some envy and jealousy of the rich, its human nature.
    The point is obvious...the tax rate for the rich is too low...at one time, 60 years ago , it was 90% !
    Of course, no millionaire back then paid that amount.
    But, now its far too low...Why can't we get this right ???
    Reason - the millionaires write the tax code ??
    We need a better people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •